Around the League: Week 18 2/22-2/28

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 18 2/22-2/28

Post by carey »

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: Golden State @ Atlanta 8:00PM EST NBATv, Phoenix @ Los Angeles Clippers 10:30PM EST NBATv
Tuesday: New Orleans @ Washington 7:00PM EST NBATv, Brooklyn @ Portland 10:00PM EST NBATv
Wednesday: Washington @ Chicago 8:00PM EST ESPN, San Antonio @ Sacramento 10:30PM EST ESPN
Thursday: Okloahoma City @ New Orleans 8:00PM EST TNT, Houston @ Portland 10:30PM EST TNT
Friday: Chicago @ Atlanta 8:00PM EST ESPN, Memphis @ Los Angeles Lakers 10:30PM EST ESPN
Saturday: Golden State @ Oklahoma City 8:30PM EST ABC
Sunday: Minnesota @ Dallas 7:00PM EST NBATv

NBA News

Davis nets NBA season high 59 points: http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400828710
Flannery explains why the trade deadline was a bust: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/2/21/1 ... hootaround
D.A. checks in on Detroit: http://www.nba.com/2016/news/features/d ... index.html
The Cavs smoked OKC on Sunday. It was... bad for the Thunder: http://www.sbnation.com/2016/2/21/11083 ... vin-durant
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Re: Around the League: Week 18 2/22-2/28

Post by carey »

According to Yahoo, the Detroit-Houston deal for Motie has fallen apart. Detroit won't pass him on a physical. Shades of OKC-Tyson Chandler? They ultimately rescinded that trade and traded for Perkins. Guess what would have been the better move?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

So which team(s), outside of the Warriors, have a legit chance at making the NBA finals? Obviously, nearly anything can happen in a single game, and some things outside the game could sway an entire series. That said, does anyone outside of the Spurs in the West have a shot at the Finals? And does anyone outside of the Cavs have a shot in the East? Maybe Toronto? Even Boston (I think they maybe lucky enough to make it to the Finals)?

To be honest, I haven't been able to watch all the Suns games this year, much less plenty of games from around the league. And from what I have read, it doesn't seem anyone is giving a team without Curry or without Lebron a chance.

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:According to Yahoo, the Detroit-Houston deal for Motie has fallen apart. Detroit won't pass him on a physical. Shades of OKC-Tyson Chandler? They ultimately rescinded that trade and traded for Perkins. Guess what would have been the better move?
That is just a mess.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:So which team(s), outside of the Warriors, have a legit chance at making the NBA finals? Obviously, nearly anything can happen in a single game, and some things outside the game could sway an entire series. That said, does anyone outside of the Spurs in the West have a shot at the Finals? And does anyone outside of the Cavs have a shot in the East? Maybe Toronto? Even Boston (I think they maybe lucky enough to make it to the Finals)?

To be honest, I haven't been able to watch all the Suns games this year, much less plenty of games from around the league. And from what I have read, it doesn't seem anyone is giving a team without Curry or without Lebron a chance.
I think many would list OKC as having an outside shot in the West. But other than GSW, SAS, and OKC, I don't hear anybody saying any other names. The Clips maybe with a very very very slim chance to make some noise? But nah.

In the East, you mentioned the Raptors; they probably have the best shot outside of the Cavs. I also kind of like the Pacers and Hawks as sneaky good teams, but I don't think they will get far.

Indy

Post by Indy »

As good as some of those guys are in OKC, I can't see them winning a title (or the equivalent, beating GSW). Maybe there is a scenario where SA beats GSW, then OKC beats them, but I just don't see all those pieces falling into place.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Well, they just killed Motie's market value in free agency. All of a sudden, he becomes easier to retain as a free agent, provided that the back issues are not career-ending. Or if the Suns' staff thinks that he could be re-habbed, he'd become a perfect FA target.

Incidentally, I am now worried about retaining Aaron Nelson as trainer past his current contract, given how Hornacek left the organization.

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:Well, they just killed Motie's market value in free agency. All of a sudden, he becomes easier to retain as a free agent, provided that the back issues are not career-ending. Or if the Suns' staff thinks that he could be re-habbed, he'd become a perfect FA target.

Incidentally, I am now worried about retaining Aaron Nelson as trainer past his current contract, given how Hornacek left the organization.
I am doubting he is going to pick up and move after building such a long career (and family) in the valley.

Split T

Post by Split T »

OKC could beat GS, I don't think they will, but they could. And I actually think Toronto is better than Cleveland. Playoffs may be a different story as Lebron will probably up his game, but if he's not able to, I think Toronto comes out of the east.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Split T wrote:OKC could beat GS, I don't think they will, but they could. And I actually think Toronto is better than Cleveland. Playoffs may be a different story as Lebron will probably up his game, but if he's not able to, I think Toronto comes out of the east.
As much as it pains me to say it I think Cleveland is getting their shit together lately. They won 5 in a row (also Portland and Charlotte, go figure) and I can't see Toronto beating them 4 times. Although if Lowry goes bananas like at the start of the season... who knows.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hermen wrote:
Split T wrote:OKC could beat GS, I don't think they will, but they could. And I actually think Toronto is better than Cleveland. Playoffs may be a different story as Lebron will probably up his game, but if he's not able to, I think Toronto comes out of the east.
As much as it pains me to say it I think Cleveland is getting their shit together lately. They won 5 in a row (also Portland and Charlotte, go figure) and I can't see Toronto beating them 4 times. Although if Lowry goes bananas like at the start of the season... who knows.
Maybe so, the thunder win was impressive but the other 4 were against bad to OK teams. And they are getting worked by Detroit tonight.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

They've unleashed the Dragon in Miami!
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:They've unleashed the Dragon in Miami!
About time!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

How funny it would be if Varejao win a title over Cleveland this year?

pickle

Post by pickle »

Furlanfufi wrote:How funny it would be if Varejao win a title over Cleveland this year?
Would love to see that happen.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In theory I like that Channing Frye pickup for Cleveland. Stretch 4, good veteran guy. But they already have Kevin Love and don't really use him properly. And Frye has been slowly declining for the past 2 years or so. He just had 2 points and 4 boards tonight in 9 minutes in a loss to the Pistons. Hmm.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Much better than those 5 rebounds he'd give us in 25 minutes.

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:They've unleashed the Dragon in Miami!
finally, dragic is unshackled from the ball and chain named dwade.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

League Pass Alert: Golden State and Miami have a good game going on right now. 76-75 Miami near the end of the 3rd. Andy Varejao just checked in; interesting.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Warriors going to pull it out. Curry made a dagger 3 when it was close with under a minute left to put the Warriors up for good.