Around the League: Week 21 3/14-3/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JCSunsfan

Re: Around the League: Week 21 3/14-3/20

Post by JCSunsfan »

Mori Chu wrote:
Cap wrote:You could? Is the Stepien Rule not in force anymore?
The Stepien rule is still in effect. The Nets technically do have picks in every other draft, but they've traded them in swaps to other teams. So they will have *a* pick, but it will be some other team's pick, likely much worse than Brooklyn's own. So in effect they found a loophole in the Stepien rule and effectively gave away all of their ultra-valuable 1st rounders for 4-5 straight years. What a nightmare.
Teams make the worst decisions when they think they are close and are going for it all. Often also, the worst decisions are made regarding aging veterans.

pickle

Post by pickle »

At this point, I'm really not sure Lebron has much of a legacy anyway. My friend had a great line about this. Lebron thinks that he's player-coach but he really is just a player-emperor. Agree with most everyone's comments above. Curious though, how could he possibly go back to Miami, cap-wise? Unlikely that he would actually take a pay-cut... and it's not like Wade is getting any healthier. Even with Goran in place, Miami is not going to be any better than Cleveland now, since a blood-clotted Bosh and banged-up Wade will really hamper their ability to make free agency moves.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Miami's rookies are balling though. Not KAT level ofc, but very valuable.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Same syndrome that plagued Vince Carter when he ascended to superstardom in Toronto. By buddies stay, pay whatever, disregard salary cap flexibility, assets, etc. If the teammates are worth it he could get away with it, but that's rarely the case. Tristan's extension was beyond ridiculous. Shumpert's highly questionable too. 107M invested.
Could be worse. You could have 2 PGs under contract for $140M, when neither is a PG.
Pity those fools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They are getting close.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Let's dispel with this notion that Lebron James doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25528594

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Of course he does. But I think now it's lending itself a lot more to narcissism and ego than anything else. He's almost becoming a media whore, in the Kardashian sense, where he always needs to be the center of the NBA universe. Why not just focus on basketball? Why not try and be a better leader and address issues (some of which may be fabricated or imagined in his own mind) with your teammates in the lockerroom and not on social. If he's so locked in and focused and wants to win a title in Cleveland, why consistently bring these distractions on yourself, your team, and your franchise? No one can stop him or stand up to him and he knows it. Think Riley would be putting up with this? Not by a longshot, which is precisely why he went back to Cleveland.

carey

Post by carey »

Those 2 games against San Antonio at the end are going to turn out to be great scheduling.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:Of course he does. But I think now it's lending itself a lot more to narcissism and ego than anything else. He's almost becoming a media whore, in the Kardashian sense, where he always needs to be the center of the NBA universe. Why not just focus on basketball? Why not try and be a better leader and address issues (some of which may be fabricated or imagined in his own mind) with your teammates in the lockerroom and not on social. If he's so locked in and focused and wants to win a title in Cleveland, why consistently bring these distractions on yourself, your team, and your franchise? No one can stop him or stand up to him and he knows it. Think Riley would be putting up with this? Not by a longshot, which is precisely why he went back to Cleveland.
My post was mostly tongue-in-cheek; I was quoting Marco Rubio's funny gaffe from a recent debate. But yeah, I agree with you about Lebron. I don't think he's a good leader and I think he mostly wants the attention and respect that comes from being the top dog in the NBA without the actual burdens and expectations that come with it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Those 2 games against San Antonio at the end are going to turn out to be great scheduling.
I don't know. I could see Pop resting his players. Now that the Spurs beat them, it would leave doubt in the Warriors' minds.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:Those 2 games against San Antonio at the end are going to turn out to be great scheduling.
I don't know. I could see Pop resting his players.
If the record is on the line? Idk. I can see him saying f**k their record & a S.A. championship is more important then resting. I can also see him saying we are going to ruin it. I can also see them going for a Spurs best 70 wins if they are close. Hard to know what Pop is thinking.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I don't know. I could see Pop resting his players.
If the record is on the line? Idk. I can see him saying f**k their record & a S.A. championship is more important then resting. I can also see him saying we are going to ruin it. I can also see them going for a Spurs best 70 wins if they are close. Hard to know what Pop is thinking.
True. All plausible. It will be interesting!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

My post was mostly tongue-in-cheek; I was quoting Marco Rubio's funny gaffe from a recent debate.
I knew it sounded familiar. You should have copied and pasted those lines like 5 times in a row. Then I would've picked up on it. :D

Cap

Post by Cap »

I can't wait for LeBron to run for President.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, my guess is Pop rests a lot of guys in those last two games. First seed will almost assuredly be out of reach and they already sent a message. Although the Spurs will probably be 39-0 at home coming into that last one, might try to send another message that night that GS can't expect to win any games in SA.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Cap wrote:I can't wait for LeBron to run for President.

I'd vote for him. He has bigger hands than Trump, Rubio or Cruz. :P
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... -nba-draft

Nice write up on whats at stake for each team in the draft lottery.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

According to that article, there's a 56% chance that LAL will keep their pick (that it will fall in the top 3) and a 44% chance that they will lose it (that they'll be jumped twice and fall to 4th). 44% chance that we will be cursing and screaming that we gave away the #4 pick in the draft to get the Black Hole Sun.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Don't worry, we are going to win the N°1 pick, and still leave the Lakers with their pick. They will take a good but not trascendent player, pair him with Rusell, Randle and a very good FA signing, enough to leave the bottom of the league, but still outside the playoffs, therefore they handle Philly the N° 10 pick.

We take Ingram, and jump right back into the playoffs picture with the talent obtained after trading away Bledsoe and Knight in deals working in our favor, one of the deals involving the Lakers.

After years of heartbreaking, we are due to get our way once, right?

pickle

Post by pickle »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:Don't worry, we are going to win the N°1 pick, and still leave the Lakers with their pick. They will take a good but not trascendent player, pair him with Rusell, Randle and a very good FA signing, enough to leave the bottom of the league, but still outside the playoffs, therefore they handle Philly the N° 10 pick.

We take Ingram, and jump right back into the playoffs picture with the talent obtained after trading away Bledsoe and Knight in deals working in our favor, one of the deals involving the Lakers.

After years of heartbreaking, we are due to get our way once, right?
Booyeah!