Obligatory Walking Dead Thread

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Indy

Re: Obligatory Walking Dead Thread

Post by Indy »

LazarusLong wrote:"I don't really get all the Gabriel hate."

So the fact that he shuttered and barricaded the church, not allowing parishioners in while walkers were invading and killing has no bearing on our judgment of him?

He's the worst sort of coward, hiding behind the privilege and position of his religion when it can protect him.
I think that what makes him interesting. I am assuming the question about the Gabriel hate was why people wanted him dead/off the show.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

"I am assuming the question about the Gabriel hate was why people wanted him dead/off the show."

Hmm. If that is the case, my bad.

I see where a number of viewers (in general, not just our merry band) don't like the boy who plays Carl. Granted he's not a Shakespearian thespian, but he's not obtusely terrible.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

LazarusLong wrote:"I don't really get all the Gabriel hate."

So the fact that he shuttered and barricaded the church, not allowing parishioners in while walkers were invading and killing has no bearing on our judgment of him?

He's the worst sort of coward, hiding behind the privilege and position of his religion when it can protect him.
You can judge him for whatever reason you like. I think in the face of an apocalypse, being completely paralyzed by fear is pretty understandable. I also don't remember the exact circumstances of how that went down, but reality is if he'd let everyone in, they would all probably be dead anyway. Yes, he's a coward, but I don't really mean hating him as a character.

I am more referring to comments like saucy's, where people want to see him die just because he's "annoying." That's ridiculous. He's a great character and brings a new dynamic to the group (one that is very potentially destabilizing).

And while he might be a coward, is he really that much worse than Rick? Rick's no coward, but he's barely hanging onto a shred of humanity, too. And Carol? There's a good argument to be made that she's worse than a lot of the bandits they have run into, certainly on par with The Governor.
but he is a highly-flawed point guar . . . err, character.
:lol: :lol:

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

LazarusLong wrote:"I am assuming the question about the Gabriel hate was why people wanted him dead/off the show."

Hmm. If that is the case, my bad.

I see where a number of viewers (in general, not just our merry band) don't like the boy who plays Carl. Granted he's not a Shakespearian thespian, but he's not obtusely terrible.
Yeah, Carl isn't the most interesting of the bunch. But, you get what you get with kid actors. He's important to keep around just for the sake of preventing Rick from going completely off the rails.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Ghost, I just don't find him the least bit interesting.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

specialsauce wrote:Ghost, I just don't find him the least bit interesting.
Fair enough.
Spoiler: show/hide
And even now, he's way more interesting than Abraham, who is just another meat sack to kill zombies.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The only people reading this thread are Walking Dead fans. If they are fans then they watch every episode the day it comes out. I think spoiler posts are not necessary. If somebody missed an episode and haven't caught up they should avoid this thread. That's my take at least. Between seasons now, so if they aren't caught up now they probably never will catch up.

Every person in that situation would be messed up in the head somehow. Every person I know in the real world is messed up in the head a little somehow. Being that situation would send most people over the edge.

Gabriel is an interesting character. Some people hate him, but you aren't supposed to like every character. He is torn between his beliefs (God has a plan), reality (God has forsaken us) and his overwhelming fear of the situation, which caused him to choose his own life above those in his flock. Now he is stricken by guilt for what he has done. He hates the group for the things they have done to stay alive and desperately doesn't want to become like them, but is already worse than them and knows it. He wants to die, but is too much a coward. You don't get to heaven if you commit suicide anyway they say.

Another dynamic, Morgan. Normal guy that helped Rick, then Rick later on found him and helped him regain his sanity. Rick and him have a deep bond. Morgan spent the whole season searching for Rick and finally found him at the end. Now Morgan is a modern day Kung Foo/peace activist. How will that jibe with Rick in the future. His name is Lenny James and I was a fan of his in the show Jerico. I think he will play a major role next season.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Jericho was a great show.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yeah, it was sort of a Walking Dead without the Walkers.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I watched one of the leaked episodes (the first, obviously) and the quality is utter crap. Screw that.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

It gets better. It was actually revived after being canceled because so many people sent jars of nuts to CBS, in a reference to the cliffhanger they ended it on.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/FunMoney ... id=3214156

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Dan H wrote:It gets better. It was actually revived after being canceled because so many people sent jars of nuts to CBS, in a reference to the cliffhanger they ended it on.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/FunMoney ... id=3214156
My post somehow (certainly not my error) was intended for the GOT thread, but wound up here. I didn't know the Jericho Nuts story, but that is pretty awesome.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/04/entertain ... index.html
Seth Gilliam, who joined the cast last season as the morally conflicted Rev. Gabriel Stokes, was arrested in Peachtree City, Georgia, early Sunday.

According to the Peachtree City Police Department, Gilliam was speeding 107 miles per hour in a 55 mile per hour zone, and a marijuana cigarette was found in the car.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Serves him right for snitching!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Gilliam was speeding 107 miles per hour in a 55 mile per hour zone,
Whoa, buddy...the zombies shamble much slower, so chill out.

Glad he didn't kill anyone.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ghost wrote:
Gilliam was speeding 107 miles per hour in a 55 mile per hour zone,
Whoa, buddy...the zombies shamble much slower, so chill out.

Glad he didn't kill anyone.
Same. Love the picture they chose to go with the news.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Looks good!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Walking Dead- The Next Generation :D

It does look good. I guess it was so popular it deserved a spinoff. Hopefully they will air it when the Walking Dead is between seasons.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:Walking Dead- The Next Generation :D

It does look good. I guess it was so popular it deserved a spinoff. Hopefully they will air it when the Walking Dead is between seasons.
I think that is the plan.

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

Nice a Walking Dead thread!

So quick theory on the last episode. When Deanna tells Rick to do it. There is a bit of an opening for writers to throw a twist. (I don't think they will but I just think its available).

The camera never shows Rick Killing Pete. What if Deanna is really telling Rick to make sure her husband isn't coming back as a zombie and "do it" means putting one in her husbands head. Just thought I would toss that out there.

This was Carols best season.

And this is Abraham's best line ever maybe the quote of the season:

Can't wait for the next season to start!
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.