Game of Thrones: Season 6 (Current)

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Game of Thrones: Season 6 (Current)

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I agree with Indy. The most exciting thing I learned from episode 2 was that Hordor could once speak, and that Hordor isn't actually his name.

Anyone taking bets on how he lost his his ability to communicate? My money is on he was kicked in the head by a horse.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:I agree with Indy. The most exciting thing I learned from episode 2 was that Hordor could once speak, and that Hordor isn't actually his name.

Anyone taking bets on how he lost his his ability to communicate? My money is on he was kicked in the head by a horse.
I think that would be too plain for a stable boy in the GoT universe. Maybe someone warged into a horse to kick him in the head, in an attempt to kill him, to keep him from speaking about an awful act he witnessed. But instead of killing him, it turned him into Hodor.

carey

Post by carey »

There's some strange complaints in this thread. I still find it to be utterly fascinating. I'm all in on every plot line. Sometimes I rewind to see certain parts twice. There was a lot of good stuff in last night's episode including my favorite Tyrion moment in a long time. Not every episode can be "Baelor," "Blackwater," "The Rains of Castamere," or even "Hardhome." Not every moment will completely surprise us, after all, it's been 10 months since the 5th season finale. That's a lot of time to digest the previous seasons and predict where things will go. It's still far and away the best thing on television in my opinion.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

carey wrote:There's some strange complaints in this thread. I still find it to be utterly fascinating. I'm all in on every plot line. Sometimes I rewind to see certain parts twice. There was a lot of good stuff in last night's episode including my favorite Tyrion moment in a long time. Not every episode can be "Baelor," "Blackwater," "The Rains of Castamere," or even "Hardhome." Not every moment will completely surprise us, after all, it's been 10 months since the 5th season finale. That's a lot of time to digest the previous seasons and predict where things will go. It's still far and away the best thing on television in my opinion.
I agree with Carey. I am thoroughly enjoying this season so far. I have some problems here and there but those are just mostly nitpicks.

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:There's some strange complaints in this thread. I still find it to be utterly fascinating. I'm all in on every plot line. Sometimes I rewind to see certain parts twice. There was a lot of good stuff in last night's episode including my favorite Tyrion moment in a long time. Not every episode can be "Baelor," "Blackwater," "The Rains of Castamere," or even "Hardhome." Not every moment will completely surprise us, after all, it's been 10 months since the 5th season finale. That's a lot of time to digest the previous seasons and predict where things will go. It's still far and away the best thing on television in my opinion.
I'd put Mr Robot, Better Call Saul and Jessica Jones ahead of it.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
BCS was disappointing this year.

I still love GOT. The only plot-line I truly don't care about is the Sand Snakes. It may have been more interesting if the actresses who play them weren't so terrible.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am really enjoying the parallels between the fall of Walt and the fall of Jimmy.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

If you had never watched a minute of Breaking Bad, how much less would you be enjoying BCS? The core story is not nearly as exciting as BB's but it runs at the same pace. You can do that when the protagonist is going from Mr. Chips to Scarface, not when someone is going from an ethically questionable attorney to a slightly more ethically questionable attorney at his own firm.

I was much more into Mike's story-line this year. I didn't really care about the Sandpiper case or helping Kim win Mesa Verde.

The show is still well written, well acted and beautiful to look at, but they made a mistake not progressing the plot forward more, IMO.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:If you had never watched a minute of Breaking Bad, how much less would you be enjoying BCS? The core story is not nearly as exciting as BB's but it runs at the same pace. You can do that when the protagonist is going from Mr. Chips to Scarface, not when someone is going from an ethically questionable attorney to a slightly more ethically questionable attorney at his own firm.

I was much more into Mike's story-line this year. I didn't really care about the Sandpiper case or helping Kim win Mesa Verde.

The show is still well written, well acted and beautiful to look at, but they made a mistake not progressing the plot forward more, IMO.
I didn't feel that way at all, but I do binge watch it. So that may play a part. I guess if I were watching it week-by-week, it could feel a little slow moving.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Indy wrote:
Better Call Saul is my favorite current show. This season may not have been quite on par with season 1, but it is crazy to call it disappointing. Jessica Jones is a show I really, really want to love, but the pacing is slower than molasses on a winter day and the over-the-top film noir aspect bugs the crap out of me. But it is great. Mr. Robot...well, I have no complaints there.

But Carey is right. GOT is not about single episodes, and never has been. Some plots develop a bit more slowly, and even if everyone predicted What Just Happened at the end of episode 2, it's still a pretty huge deal and will have radical implications on the plot going forward. The only season without any real slow spots was season 1, and that was because we were just getting to know the characters and their dynamics.

I will say that the Sand Snakes are wildly disappointing. Again.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Shabazz wrote:If you had never watched a minute of Breaking Bad, how much less would you be enjoying BCS? The core story is not nearly as exciting as BB's but it runs at the same pace. You can do that when the protagonist is going from Mr. Chips to Scarface, not when someone is going from an ethically questionable attorney to a slightly more ethically questionable attorney at his own firm.

Answering the first question is impossible, of course. I have seen Breaking Bad at least four times all the way through, and cannot just pretend I didn't. I can say that BCS is excellent in its own right and I have said since the start that comparing it to BB is just incredibly unfair since they are wildly different shows. As far as I'm concerned, that question is like asking if I'd still enjoy football if I hadn't eaten ice cream first.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Indy wrote:I didn't feel that way at all, but I do binge watch it. So that may play a part. I guess if I were watching it week-by-week, it could feel a little slow moving.
I watched it every Monday night and never once felt that it was slow.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ghost wrote:
Indy wrote:I didn't feel that way at all, but I do binge watch it. So that may play a part. I guess if I were watching it week-by-week, it could feel a little slow moving.
But did you eat ice cream first?

Ghost

Re: RE: Re: Game of Thrones: Season 6 (Current)

Post by Ghost »

Indy wrote:
Ghost wrote:
I cannot in good conscience definitively say that eating ice cream, which happened long before I first saw either BCS or even BB, did not play a direct causal link in my appreciation of either show.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ghost wrote:
Indy wrote:
Ghost wrote:
I cannot in good conscience definitively say that eating ice cream, which happened long before I first saw either BCS or even BB, did not play a direct causal link in my appreciation of either show.

I knew it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

By the way, "knew" is a very strange word.

Ghost

Re: RE: Re: Game of Thrones: Season 6 (Current)

Post by Ghost »

Indy wrote:By the way, "knew" is a very strange word.
I knough. It should be knough.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ep 2 was really good compared to ep 1 which I found disappointing. The writing is still bad though without the books to carry it. The dick jokes by Tyrion and the goofy jokey stuff in general has got to go.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Mori Chu wrote:Ep 2 was really good compared to ep 1 which I found disappointing. The writing is still bad though without the books to carry it. The dick jokes by Tyrion and the goofy jokey stuff in general has got to go.

Because that wouldn't be out of character for Tyrion at all. He should start acting mature all the time, even though that is so not his style.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Mori Chu wrote:Ep 2 was really good compared to ep 1 which I found disappointing.

I missed this part.

WHAT? You are disappointed that while you didn't like EP 1, you thought that EP 2 improved significantly? What exactly were you hoping to happen? You have to realize that you sound like you are either crazy or whining for the sake of whining.

Episode 2 was great. No, not high on action, but other than the Snooze Snakes, everything moved forward well. Even with the big thing we all saw coming, which was huge even if we saw it because everyone predicted it anyway so I don't know why people are complaining about it, there was a lot of great stuff in there. I mean it's a let down to a select few that it improved on the first episode, which I also still enjoyed but won't argue with, but since that complaint is ludicrous I'll just say that things seem to be moving along well.