Everything Soccer

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
SDC

Re: Everything Soccer

Post by SDC »

flagrant, what does "skrteling" mean? i tried looking for it on youtube.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I take it you're not a GFOP?

http://meninblazers.wikispaces.com/Martin+Skrtel

A good Skrteling.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SDC wrote:
Mourinho reminds me a lot of the great coaches in other professional sports with Greg Popovich and Bill Belichick coming to mind first. They're all tactically brilliant, but their schtick with the media can be very annoying.
joe-say likes the cameras, while pop would rather avoid the media or say little.

Fair point. It does seem like Mourinho likes the sound of his own voice more so than Pop.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:I take it you're not a GFOP?

http://meninblazers.wikispaces.com/Martin+Skrtel

A good Skrteling.
[ Image ]
i listen to men in blazers podcast all the time. i should have checked their wiki page.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SDC wrote:i listen to men in blazers podcast all the time. i should have checked their wiki page.
Good to hear. Rog is one of my top 5 bipeds at the moment. His analogies and metaphors are equal to Jonjo Shelvey's ability to frighten small children.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
SDC wrote:i listen to men in blazers podcast all the time. i should have checked their wiki page.
Good to hear. Rog is one of my top 5 bipeds at the moment. His analogies and metaphors are equal to Jonjo Shelvey's ability to frighten small children.
is that your analysis?

i listen to the weekly pod, but not the sirius xm radio show.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SDC wrote:is that your analysis?
Brilliant!

I listen to both because I have XM Radio in my car, which also enables me to get their show on-demand through the mobile app. There's a bit of overlap with the two shows, but XM seems to be where the jokes are tested before the pod is recorded.

"Music and statistics" is their schtick on the XM show, so it's a little more than just BPL and world football sometimes. People call in and they occasionally have guests to interview, but rarely do I hear something that isn't brought up on the pod.

I recommend listening to the Sirius FC channel if you do have XM radio. Aside from the MiB show, Over the Ball is another good program hosted by a couple of Americans who don't take themselves too seriously. They had the big wig at ESPN on the show today who mentioned an upcoming program following the USMNT that sounded similar to Being Liverpool. He described it as similar to the 24/7 program HBO does and it sounded pretty interesting.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Moyes is out. Giggs is the interim coach. ManU will has quite a rebuild process ahead.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Moyes is out. Giggs is the interim coach. ManU will has quite a rebuild process ahead.
What a fiasco. Man U isn't one of my preferred clubs, but wow, they've really put themselves in a deep pit. Can't say I feel sorry for them.

SDC

Post by SDC »

i hope giggs gets the job permanently.

SDC

Post by SDC »

jurgen klopp would be nice too for united.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I tend to sympathize with Moyes in this situation. He was in a losing position the moment he arrived at the club. The veteran players knew all about Moyes, including his tactics, so it was easy for them to dismiss his authority before he was had an opportunity to assert any. I think Moyes will go to a smaller club and work some magic. This is really just another piece of evidence that it's never good to be the man who follows a legend. You want to be the man after the first guy "fails" and gets pushed out.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SDC wrote:jurgen klopp would be nice too for united.
Admittedly, I know very little about various managers, but the Dutchman, Louis van Gaal is who I think will be the next guy. He obviously has a connection with RvP, but I don't really think it would be wise to let a player have a hand in picking a manger. That hasn't worked out well for Barca this season..

Back to your suggestion, Klopp would be #1 on my list if I were a United supporter. I really like Klopp and pretty much everything else about that Dortmund club. If I could only pick one place to see a big game it would be hard to turn down Dortmund vs. Bayern at Signal Iduna Park.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Most boring game ever between Atleti and Chelsea. Not a single goal chance by either.

Depending on where you stand regarding Mourinho, Chelsea either parked the bus or executed perfectly the best strategy for them. Or both.

Not a great show anyway, but that's what happens when two coaches with similar defense-counter attack styles face each other.

Chelsea didn't have its stars available (Hazard, Ivanovic, etc) and Cech got injured and is said to miss the remainder of the season. They also lost Lampard for the second leg with a yellow card.

Let's hope tonight's game is much more interesting (and above all, that Real wins hehehe).

SDC

Post by SDC »

i'm rooting for bale to have another good game.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

A gutsy win for Los Blancos. The possession statistics are a bit misleading because Madrid were so dangerous on the counter attack. Still, I'm not sure they'll be able to pull out the same type of result in Germany with that tactic.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Real could have scored three goals, while Bayern didn't have more than one opportunity. Ball possession is great and all, but Madrid's defense was a wall, above all Pepe and Coentrao. It's not over, tho.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Bayern had more chances statistically when looking at the possession and number of corners, but Real definitely had the higher quality chances.

Ronaldo really should have converted on his attempt. The low cross from Bale that was cut off by Dante wasn't much of a chance on goal to me. Benzema was in the area to receive the pass, but he would've need a remarkable finish since he was marked pretty closely. Nothing like his goal that was practically a stroll in the park.

I'll be surprised if Real can keep a clean sheet in Germany, but they'll likely be at full strength with Ronaldo and Bale as well. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to watch that match as I did today.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I wouldn't say that Bayern had more real chances than the one shot that Casillas blocked late in the second half. Everything else was just denied by Pepe or would end up being basically harmless possession.

I don't think Real Madrid can keep Bayern from scoring at their home, but at the same time, avoiding a Real goal for a whole game will be quite a task.

Anyway next game will be one for the ages.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Jonjo!!!!