Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
In2ition

Re: TV Shows / Movies

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:35 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:59 pm
New season of Raised by Wolves!
I liked the first season, but it went off the rails at times. A few real dud episodes. Looking forward to the 2nd season. Wife and I love sci-fi. Re-watching The Expanse with her so we can watch the new season.
I haven't seen The Expanse yet, but heard from others that it was good. Have you watched Foundation?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:55 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I liked the first season, but it went off the rails at times. A few real dud episodes. Looking forward to the 2nd season. Wife and I love sci-fi. Re-watching The Expanse with her so we can watch the new season.
I haven't seen The Expanse yet, but heard from others that it was good. Have you watched Foundation?
So good that I don't mind watching it again, which is saying a lot because it has heavy world building. Love it. Have not seen Foundation but will have to look into it! What are your thoughts about it?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:00 pm
In2ition wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
So good that I don't mind watching it again, which is saying a lot because it has heavy world building. Love it. Have not seen Foundation but will have to look into it! What are your thoughts about it?
It's been interesting. It moves a bit slowly, but I think that mimics the slow transition of the devolution and then rebuild of the civilization. I feel like I'm committed to it, so I'll keep watching how it unfolds. It's amazing how well done the visuals are in the show and all shows nowadays, whereas in the past you would only see this level in the movies.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:26 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:00 pm
In2ition wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
It's been interesting. It moves a bit slowly, but I think that mimics the slow transition of the devolution and then rebuild of the civilization. I feel like I'm committed to it, so I'll keep watching how it unfolds. It's amazing how well done the visuals are in the show and all shows nowadays, whereas in the past you would only see this level in the movies.
Absolutely. My wife and I marvel sometimes at the universe in The Expanse. The visuals in some shows are insane. I finally came around to watching Lost and it was jarring how bad some of the effects are in that show. I was loving it and then the show started to go off the rails later on and I just gave up.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm with you on Foundation, In2.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:59 pm
Nodack wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:29 pm
We started watching the show when it became free. If anyone wants to give you a ride to the train station decline the offer. You will thank me later.

That show is very popular with Trump supporters but, I have found a lot of Libs who watch it too. The fight between ranchers, Indians, environmentalists and the corporate world over the same land.

They gave us the first two episodes of 1883 for free to hook us. Then you pay. The young blonde star reminds me of a young Jennifer Lawrence.
Everyone I work with is a lib, and they all love the show, which is how I heard about it. I don't know why it is supposedly more popular with Trump supporters than anyone else, and I don't know how you could make that claim. Is there data on that?

Everything else, I totally agree with. Definitely do not get a ride to the train station. And yes, that girl does resemble Jennifer Lawrence. Either way, I've enjoyed it.
Libs love the show and Cons love the show. That’s why it’s a hit. All the data I have seen says it’s targeted audience was Conservatives. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

The Paramount Network is onto something with this "prestige TV for conservatives" thing
https://www.tvguide.com/news/yellowston ... estige-tv/
Prestige TV is for liberals. There must be a handful of people in America who voted for Trump and enjoyed Succession, but for the most part, self-consciously high-end cable TV of the kind found on HBO and Showtime is made by and for people in blue districts. Scripted conservative TV tends to be workmanlike, unambitious broadcast fare like Blue Bloods, Last Man Standing or Kevin Can Wait. This is why the Paramount Network's distinctly red Yellowstone -- which ended its first season on Wednesday -- is such an outlier.

Hits are rare; well-made conservative dramas are even rarer. And though I have no idea what co-creators Taylor Sheridan and John Linson's personal political beliefs are, Yellowstone is a conservative show. It's working in two of the most traditional of genres -- the Western and the soap opera -- and its sex, profanity and graphic violence can't hide the fact that it's not a revisionist Western soap; it plays by the rules of the genre. It's Dallas shot on location with F-words. And it traffics in ideas and characters conservatives love: family over everything (even though the Duttons hate each other, they're tight); the noble veteran (Luke Grimes' stoic and conflicted Kayce Dutton was a SEAL); the hot girl who's more macho than the boys (Beth Dutton [Kelly Reilly] and finale-introduced stripper-turned-cowhand Avery [Tanaya Beatty] fit this archetype). More than its politics, its cliche-bound genre traditionalism is why it's not a critical success.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What is the opinion on Succession here?

I started watching the first 2 episodes and will force myself to watch the 3rd before I make a decision to go on further. I was curious what everyone that has watched the show thought about it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:48 am

I started watching the first 2 episodes and will force myself to watch the 3rd before I make a decision to go on further. I was curious what everyone that has watched the show thought about it.
I have read that there was a different writer/director/showrunner for the first couple/few episodes and gets a lot better after that. It is on my list to try, but I just don't get to watch much TV during Suns season.
Last edited by Indy on Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:55 am
In2ition wrote:

I have read that their was a different writer/director/showrunner for the first couple/few episodes and gets a lot better after that. It is on my list to try, but I just don't get to watch much TV during Suns season.
Thanks

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:

In my opinion, it’s the best show on TV by a decent margin. I loved it from the first episode but I’ve heard some people say they needed 4 episodes to get into it. I highly encourage you to stick with it. The writing and acting are just brilliant and it’s occasionally hilarious.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:57 pm
In2ition wrote:

In my opinion, it’s the best show on TV by a decent margin. I loved it from the first episode but I’ve heard some people say they needed 4 episodes to get into it. I highly encourage you to stick with it. The writing and acting are just brilliant and it’s occasionally hilarious.
Thanks

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think a lot of new shows start off iffy. Some can fine tune a few things and become successful. Some new shows just fail. I was a Star Trek fan and was excited about Next Generation coming out. I was pretty disappointed for the first few episodes. They made some changes that pulled me back in and I became a big fan.

Sorry another dumb nodack story…

When I was going to school in L.A. I had a part time job doing telemarketing surveys for the movie industry a block from my apartment. Every once in awhile they would pull us off the insanely horrible job of telemarketing and would bus us down to the pilot of some tv show to be as part of the live audience. We were instructed to be very enthusiastic, which we did. It was kind of fun and beat the hell out of telemarketing. It was interesting watching them taping the show from that perspective. It was kind of weird.

End of dumb story.

We sort of ran out of tv shows we watch lately. Walking dead is getting old, is winding down and there are no new ones right now anyway. No Masked Singers right now yet.

I saw all the Ted Lasso to the end of season two. I binge watched Invasion season one and enjoyed it. I tried watching Foundation for a few episodes. It’s sort of like watching the first few episodes of Game of Thrones in space mixed with Dune. I might be able to get into it if I give it a little more time. We watched Servant season one and kind of got into it. We watched part of season two and I started getting bored and stopped. Watched Greyhound and thought it was great. Watched Flinch and enjoyed it. Then again all Tom Hanks movies are good. Ok, Joe and the Volcano was kind of iffy.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I like your stories Nodack. Speaking of AppleTV, I liked The Shrink Next Door (based on a true story) and Dr. Brain. Watching Suspicion now. Keep watching Foundation, I think you’ll get into it but yeah, gotta get past the first two first. I felt the same way at that point.

"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Rip is going to kick his ass and swear at him for making him kick his ass.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Funny you guys say this as I’ve just finished 3rd ep of succession and we’ve kind of been forcing it a bit hoping it gets more comfortable soon

Recently enjoyed turn up Charlie on Netflix from a few years back

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

The Batman was a fucking masterpiece. 10/10. Go see it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yes, saw it last night. It was more of a psychological thriller and detective movie than a super hero movie, imo. I plays well with the tone and theme of The Batman series.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Watching a German series 'Dark' on Netflix. At season 2 episode 5. Show has caused some of the most introspective wtf moments for me of anything I've watched. Season 1 episode 5 blew my mind.

Wonderful show if you are into dark subject matter sci-fi and time travel. A very suspenseful soundtrack heavy in single, long note violin and other stringed instruments. Be prepared to follow several timelines that move between one another quite a bit. Watching with subtitles because the dubbing pulls out the believability of the actors, whom are fantastic by the way. Casting for the various stages of age for the characters is top notch.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:24 pm
Watching a German series 'Dark' on Netflix. At season 2 episode 5. Show has caused some of the most introspective wtf moments for me of anything I've watched. Season 1 episode 5 blew my mind.

Wonderful show if you are into dark subject matter sci-fi and time travel. A very suspenseful soundtrack heavy in single, long note violin and other stringed instruments. Be prepared to follow several timelines that move between one another quite a bit. Watching with subtitles because the dubbing pulls out the believability of the actors, whom are fantastic by the way. Casting for the various stages of age for the characters is top notch.
Thanks. Sounds right up my alley. I've learned to always go with the natural language and subtitles.

"Be Legendary."