What TV shows are you guys watching?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
TOO

Re: What TV shows are you guys watching?

Post by TOO »

So I finally started True Detective and after the first 2 episodes, I find it sluggish. Obviously I'm sure it'll pick-up all coming to a head given its mini-series format, but so far I'm not impressed. Ritual type killing is very similar to NBCs Hannibal. Here's hoping it gains steam.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:So I finally started True Detective and after the first 2 episodes, I find it sluggish. Obviously I'm sure it'll pick-up all coming to a head given its mini-series format, but so far I'm not impressed. Ritual type killing is very similar to NBCs Hannibal. Here's hoping it gains steam.
The last episode is awesome. Perfect ending.

carey

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:So I finally started True Detective and after the first 2 episodes, I find it sluggish. Obviously I'm sure it'll pick-up all coming to a head given its mini-series format, but so far I'm not impressed. Ritual type killing is very similar to NBCs Hannibal. Here's hoping it gains steam.
It's not really about the mystery so if that's all you're getting out of it I would just dump it now.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

carey wrote:
It's not really about the mystery so if that's all you're getting out of it I would just dump it now.
Honestly, I have to go and rewatch the entire series now... .theres a whole subtle layer of Lovecraftian weirdness going on in the background that I totally didn't pick up on until near the end of the series the first time around. That thin line between hallucination and psychic; That line between human insanity and evil forces, that makes you question which way is which.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I was hooked watching the first 10 minutes. Can't wait till season two!

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

You guys ALL have to watch last nights "American Dad." One of the plots culiminates in an entire joke / sequence involving the Phoenix Suns and Mark Cuban. Its absolutely HILARIOUS. References this season as well. Its fucking awesome.

carey

Post by carey »

Phoenix219 wrote:You guys ALL have to watch last nights "American Dad." One of the plots culiminates in an entire joke / sequence involving the Phoenix Suns and Mark Cuban. Its absolutely HILARIOUS. References this season as well. Its fucking awesome.
I'll check it out. I gave up watching most of the animation domination shows a long time ago. Still watch the Simpsons occasionally for purely nostalgic reasons.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I still love the Simpsons. On a bad night, it still makes me chuckle a couple times, and on a good night, it can still hit a home run. Its going to be a sad day when its finally over. 25 years and counting, and still funny... now thats an accomplishment, even if it is passed its prime.

The MacFarlane shows are amusing but more of a (to be blunt) "get high after work, laugh at stupid shit and go to bed" kind of way... :D The Simpsons, South Park and Futurama have always been on a higher level to me.

Has anyone else seen Rick and Morty? Hilarious, intelligently written (still fucked up as hell!) scfi fi comedy, definitely filling the hole left by Futurama... 7 episodes out, some are pretty genius.

Let me know what you think when you watch the American Dad. Well worth it, just for the Suns gag.

carey

Post by carey »

Phoenix219 wrote: Has anyone else seen Rick and Morty? Hilarious, intelligently written (still fucked up as hell!) scfi fi comedy, definitely filling the hole left by Futurama... 7 episodes out, some are pretty genius.

Let me know what you think when you watch the American Dad. Well worth it, just for the Suns gag.
Rick & Morty is genius. It's got a weird unique vibe that is part Futurama, part Back to the Future, part Community, part WTF?

Just saw the American Dad, was a bit stale until the "We're the official airline of the Phoenix Suns" bit and then the flight attendants attack, lol.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

Phoenix219 wrote:You guys ALL have to watch last nights "American Dad." One of the plots culiminates in an entire joke / sequence involving the Phoenix Suns and Mark Cuban. Its absolutely HILARIOUS. References this season as well. Its fucking awesome.

I could not stop laughing.
You sold me two quier giraffes

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:
Episode 3 has reeled me in :lol:

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
carey wrote:
Uf, I started watching Hannibal but couldn't last more than two or three episodes, despite really liking the character and LeChiffre. Sadly it can't touch Dexter, at least the first couple of seasons.

carey

Post by carey »

Hannibal is great, it's done in such a fantastical way that there is little to no realism involved in the killings for me, as weird as that sounds. Hannibal gets going toward the end of the first season once you start to realize exactly what he's doing to Graham.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

I gave Hannibal a few episodes then kinda forgot it was on. I enjoyed the mind games and such, but it never became must watch.

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

carey wrote:
The one gripe i have with the show is that it ended.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I gave Hannibal a few episodes then kinda forgot it was on. I enjoyed the mind games and such, but it never became must watch.
Yeah, same here... I stopped watching near the end of the first season, it just became overly talky and strange and surreal, and just never gave the the Lektor vibe from the old movies or book. What is Season 2 about... are they ever going to progress into the actual book territory? Or has Red Dragon/Manhunter been done to death? (no pun intended.)

carey

Post by carey »

Phoenix219 wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I gave Hannibal a few episodes then kinda forgot it was on. I enjoyed the mind games and such, but it never became must watch.
Yeah, same here... I stopped watching near the end of the first season, it just became overly talky and strange and surreal, and just never gave the the Lektor vibe from the old movies or book. What is Season 2 about... are they ever going to progress into the actual book territory? Or has Red Dragon/Manhunter been done to death? (no pun intended.)
Don't want to spoil to much but it starts with an epic fight between Hannibal & xxxxx that was so brutal I was surprised it was on NBC to be honest. Turns out that was a flash forward & where we are currently is that Hannibal has framed Will Graham for a murder & basically everyone is buying it. From the opening scene tho we know that it doesn't last. Don't want to spoil to much tho. :)
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeffreyLee wrote:
carey wrote:
Man, once I was in I was locked, I kinda figured out who was what after running thru things in my head, but I expected a different ending. Great show, I can't wait to see who they'll cast in season 2.

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

JeffreyLee wrote:
carey wrote:
Man, once I was in I was locked, I kinda figured out who was what after running thru things in my head, but I expected a different ending. Great show, I can't wait to see who they'll cast in season 2.
I would hope the same cast. I didnt know they were going to do a season 2. Could they continue the story line with those 2?

carey

Post by carey »

True Detective is an anthology. Stand alone stories every season. You may see the same actor pop up here & there, a la the way American Horror Story does it, but Rust & Marty won't be back and neither will McConaughey or Harrelson.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!