Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Cap

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:29 am
It is all a giant conspiracy that convinced doctors around the globe to let people die, force people to wear masks and stay away from each other, for the purpose of... I am not sure. Who does this help?
We hate freedom and get off on making people do things they don’t want to do. Conservatives don’t want to wear masks, and that’s all the reason we need to gin up a pandemic to make them wear masks.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:36 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:29 am
It is all a giant conspiracy that convinced doctors around the globe to let people die, force people to wear masks and stay away from each other, for the purpose of... I am not sure. Who does this help?
We hate freedom and get off on making people do things they don’t want to do. Conservatives don’t want to wear masks, and that’s all the reason we need to gin up a pandemic to make them wear masks.
Idk if it's a giant conspiracy, that would seem to be a little silly. It's also a great strawman argument. The rest of the world does follow the lead of the US though. Why is it that it doesn't seem to be a big deal to Sweden and they are living life like normal?

"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Over 5% of Swedes that got it, died. That is one of the worst mortality rates in the world. That is over twice the mortality rate in the US, meaning nearly half a million Americans would already be dead from it.

But yeah, they 'saved' their economy... It only cost double the mortality rate for their citizens.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think it would be worth seeing if there is anything to learn from Sweden, but they didn’t exactly have no problems. They’re doing great now, but they had a sky high per capita infection and death rate early on. I also think it’s hard to make a comparison between a country with 10 million people to One with 300+ million. But by all means, if we can learn from them, let’s learn from them.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:21 am
Over 5% of Swedes that got it, died. That is one of the worst mortality rates in the world. That is over twice the mortality rate in the US, meaning nearly half a million Americans would already be dead from it.

But yeah, they 'saved' their economy... It only cost double the mortality rate for their citizens.
I have no idea where you are getting that number from.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ok, I found a site that has the numbers. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

I work with a number of developers from Bolivia, and they've been locked down heavily since March. They are only allowed to go to the grocery store 2 days a week. Other than that, nada. Their death rate is 6.1%
Italy is 7.1%
Ecuador 7.8%
Mexico 10.0%
Yemen 29.1%

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:53 am
Ok, I found a site that has the numbers. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

I work with a number of developers from Bolivia, and they've been locked down heavily since March. They are only allowed to go to the grocery store 2 days a week. Other than that, nada. Their death rate is 6.1%
Italy is 7.1%
Ecuador 7.8%
Mexico 10.0%
Yemen 29.1%
Hmm, which of these things is not like the other when looking at availability and quality of healthcare?
Bolivia
Ecuador
Yemen
Sweden

And Italy is the poster child across Europe for what not to do early on, right when half of Europe is heading to the Alps for skiing.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:16 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:53 am

Italy is 7.1%
Ecuador 7.8%
Mexico 10.0%
Yemen 29.1%
Hmm, which of these things is not like the other when looking at availability and quality of healthcare?
Bolivia
Ecuador
Yemen
Sweden

And Italy is the poster child across Europe for what not to do early on, right when half of Europe is heading to the Alps for skiing.
I believe that Bolivia has universal health care. https://www.pressenza.com/2019/05/boliv ... d-says-un/
I found this on Ecuador. https://internationalliving.com/countri ... or/health/

Nodack

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned

Post by Nodack »

Thanks for the posts In2ition. That is the kind of debating I like. I appreciate the effort.

One thing we can all agree on is that we are divided. We all want the best for our family/friends/country/world. We just don’t agree on things. The right is trying to make Covid out to be as small a deal as possible and the left is trying to make it into as big as deal as possible. There is no official way to handle this. There is no one way right way. We are torn between doing too much and doing nothing at all about it. We are certainly not united as a country on anything right now because of partisan politics and I am as partisan as the next guy.

Trump has to go first. Covid or not. He is a cancer to our world.

Type “Sweden Covid cases” into Google and you will see they started small ramped up and then fell down... and now have just ramped back up to their peak in June. 6000 deaths.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:11 pm
Thanks for the posts In2ition. That is the kind of debating I like. I appreciate the effort.

One thing we can all agree on is that we are divided. We all want the best for our family/friends/country/world. We just don’t agree on things. The right is trying to make Covid out to be as small a deal as possible and the left is trying to make it into as big as deal as possible. There is no official way to handle this. There is no one way right way. We are torn between doing too much and doing nothing at all about it. We are certainly not united as a country on anything right now because of partisan politics and I am as partisan as the next guy.

Type “Sweden Covid cases” into Google and you will see they started small ramped up and then fell down... and now have just ramped back up to their peak in June. 6000 deaths.
I'm trying my best to not use tactics that are dishonest, aggressive or defensive, because I really like you guys and it's not personal. I'm really looking for the truth only, and I'm pretty skeptical of the prevailing thoughts that are being pushed. Tbh, I don't think the powers that be are giving us the whole story and instead a bit of a story that's quite slanted to their worldview. I've talked to too many people from around the world and in every different profession, and I can tell you there are a lot of skeptical people out there, including many in the medical field. Most just don't have the guts to speak out, in fear that they will be shunned.

Once again, I don't want to make this political, but I've heard from people all around the world that feel like this is only going to get worse if Trump loses and it will screw everyone. Not everyone around the world has your POV.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And not everyone has your POV. If Trump loses and the Dems take the House and Senate it will probably get worse for Republicans. Trump won and the Republicans won the House and Senate in 2016 and it was much worse for Dems.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:03 pm
And not everyone has your POV. If Trump loses and the Dems take the House and Senate it will probably get worse for Republicans. Trump won and the Republicans won the House and Senate in 2016 and it was much worse for Dems.
I'm sorry, I thought that was understood, haha. I'm kind of on an island here, trying to engage the crowd.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This is an informative piece as it relates to Sweden.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/10 ... e-backlash

A small part relevant to the US.
In the population as a whole, the impact of Sweden’s approach is unmistakable. More than 94,000 people have so far been diagnosed with COVID-19, and at least 5895 have died. The country has seen roughly 590 deaths per million—on par with 591 per million in the United States and 600 in Italy, but many times the 50 per million in Norway, 108 in Denmark, and 113 in Germany.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:34 pm

In the population as a whole, the impact of Sweden’s approach is unmistakable. More than 94,000 people have so far been diagnosed with COVID-19, and at least 5895 have died. The country has seen roughly 590 deaths per million—on par with 591 per million in the United States and 600 in Italy, but many times the 50 per million in Norway, 108 in Denmark, and 113 in Germany.
Generally 2 countries everyone else tries to avoid copying during this pandemic. Over 10x as many people/million died in Sweden than Norway. That is crazy.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:16 pm
Nodack wrote:

I'm trying my best to not use tactics that are dishonest, aggressive or defensive, because I really like you guys and it's not personal. I'm really looking for the truth only, and I'm pretty skeptical of the prevailing thoughts that are being pushed. Tbh, I don't think the powers that be are giving us the whole story and instead a bit of a story that's quite slanted to their worldview. I've talked to too many people from around the world and in every different profession, and I can tell you there are a lot of skeptical people out there, including many in the medical field. Most just don't have the guts to speak out, in fear that they will be shunned.

Once again, I don't want to make this political, but I've heard from people all around the world that feel like this is only going to get worse if Trump loses and it will screw everyone. Not everyone around the world has your POV.
Who is saying the pandemic will get worse if Trump gets re-elected beside Q?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:25 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:16 pm
Nodack wrote:

Who is saying the pandemic will get worse if Trump gets re-elected beside Q?
I haven't heard that the pandemic would get worse if Trump gets re-elected.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:24 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:34 pm

Generally 2 countries everyone else tries to avoid copying during this pandemic. Over 10x as many people/million died in Sweden than Norway. That is crazy.
That is interesting. I do wonder what it would be like if the US did nothing other than protect the most vulnerable.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Wapo article:

We saved our economy in Sweden. But too many people died.
Spoiler: show/hide
In summary:

- Swedish economy outperformed UK and many European countries’
- Swedish economy performed worse than it’s neighbours Norway and Finland
- Sweden had equivalent deaths to UK and many European countries
- Sweden had many more deaths than Norway and Finland

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:24 pm
Alright all the legal and medical experts, tear this apart.
I’m no longer interested in debunking these idiots who have no training and really no business speaking on Covid compared to any other non-believer who wants to live irresponsibly the way they see fit, others be damned. Realize these losers have no legitimate credentials. No medical directors of emergency departments, chiefs of staff, etc. Not a leader of the frontlines amongst them, just a clown show.

I’m simply rooting for Nov 3rd to bring about change and to get all these people to shut the fuck up and fall in line knowing their furor has fallen. That’s all.

This election is not political to me. It’s personal. I am not pro-Biden, simply anti-asshole who has made my life the last 8 months incredibly more challenging than it needed to be.

I’ll have to pay more in taxes. Democrats are puppets of attorneys which means any chance of tort reform is likely gone for at least 4 more years. I worry Biden will sell into slashing physician reimbursement as a means of lowering healthcare costs (a drop in a bucket while insurance companies and healthcare conglomerates make billions). I don’t care. I just need this buffoon out.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:23 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:24 pm
Alright all the legal and medical experts, tear this apart.
I’m no longer interested in debunking these idiots who have no training and really no business speaking on Covid compared to any other non-believer who wants to live irresponsibly the way they see fit, others be damned. Realize these losers have no legitimate credentials. No medical directors of emergency departments, chiefs of staff, etc. Not a leader of the frontlines amongst them, just a clown show.

I’m simply rooting for Nov 3rd to bring about change and to get all these people to shut the fuck up and fall in line knowing their furor has fallen. That’s all.

This election is not political to me. It’s personal. I am not pro-Biden, simply anti-asshole who has made my life the last 8 months incredibly more challenging than it needed to be.

I’ll have to pay more in taxes. Democrats are puppets of attorneys which means any chance of tort reform is likely gone for at least 4 more years. I worry Biden will sell into slashing physician reimbursement as a means of lowering healthcare costs (a drop in a bucket while insurance companies and healthcare conglomerates make billions). I don’t care. I just need this buffoon out.
Idk how the election will go. Most indicators say Biden, but there have been a few leaning Trump recently. I can understand your frustration. I wish something could be done about tort reform when it comes to suing doctors, insurance company charges and pharmaceutical prices.

On a side note(this wasn't in the video btw), is it possible that masks could cause a spike in bacterial pneumonia cases?