Prince Dead at 57

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Indy

Prince Dead at 57

Post by Indy »

Prince, mysterious, inventive chameleon of music, dies at 57
A musical chameleon and flamboyant showman who never stopped evolving, Prince was one of the music world’s most enigmatic superstars. He celebrated unabashed hedonism, sang of broken hearts and spiritual longing and had a mysterious personal identity that defied easy definition.

In such hit songs as “1999,” “Little Red Corvette,” “I Would Die 4 U,” “When Doves Cry” and “Purple Rain,” Prince produced a musical legacy and a provocative stage presence that set him apart from most other entertainers of the 1980s and ’90s.

He won seven Grammy Awards and an Academy Award, and was named in 2004 to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He remained a creative force in recent years and had performed earlier this month but canceled an April 7 appearance in Atlanta because of what a representative called the flu.

Indy

Re: Prince Dead at 57

Post by Indy »

I just wanted to post this so I had a place to say the Google Doodle for this is pretty cool...

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Doves everywhere are crying.

carey

Post by carey »

Prince was the man. His super bowl halftime show in the rain may never be topped. When Eric Clapton was asked what it was like to be the world's best living guitarist he said, "I don't know. Ask Prince." (If you didn't know just watch his performance of 'While my guitar gently weeps' in front of rock & roll HoFers that just stand there while he shreds.) There will never be another artist like him.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

As an artist, he was amazing. As a person, not so much. But such is the way with most incredibly talented people.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Prince was cool. Best guitarist? Not a chance. I didn't know he was a Jehova's Witness.

carey

Re: RE: Re: Prince Dead at 57

Post by carey »

Nodack wrote:Prince was cool. Best guitarist? Not a chance. I didn't know he was a Jehova's Witness.
Absolutely a chance. He was a phenomenal guitarist.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:As an artist, he was amazing. As a person, not so much. But such is the way with most incredibly talented people.
Other than being Jehova's Witness, what made him such a bad person (not that I have anything against Jehova Witness or any religions)? I only include that in my inquiry as it's one of the standout facts associated with him (the same way many celebrities tied to Scientology are known for being tied to Scientology, and all it entails).
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Nodack wrote:Prince was cool. Best guitarist? Not a chance. I didn't know he was a Jehova's Witness.
You are in Nodack's wheelhouse here since he's a working guitarist. Personally, I'll take Joe Pass any day.
"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

That's an argument with no winner, but no losers, either.

So many styles of music and guitar playing, with stylists crossing/mixing genres. Heavy metal, blues, rockabilly, jazz, "Bakersfield" sound, etc.

It's like trying to pick the best cloud formation you've ever seen.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:As an artist, he was amazing. As a person, not so much. But such is the way with most incredibly talented people.
Other than being Jehova's Witness, what made him such a bad person (not that I have anything against Jehova Witness or any religions)? I only include that in my inquiry as it's one of the standout facts associated with him (the same way many celebrities tied to Scientology are known for being tied to Scientology, and all it entails).
I actually think Jehova's Witnesses make a lot of sense if you believe the Bible is true.

The other parts wasn't a huge thing, but the guy was so full of himself that even his girlfriend wasn't allowed to talk to him unless she was spoken to first. I heard it 2nd hand (his girlfriend at the time told her friend who told me), so maybe they were full of shit. But it was never disputed. Just kind of said as a matter of fact. And maybe some people think artistic geniuses are like that sometimes; I just think if you can treat people with respect, you don't deserve it either (as a person, not an artist).

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:
You are in Nodack's wheelhouse here since he's a working guitarist. Personally, I'll take Joe Pass any day.
I'm not disrespecting Nodack, but when the greats of the rock industry say it, then who am I to disagree? I'm sure you have seen his legendary solo for While My Guitar Gently Weeps at the Rock & Roll HoF? Here's some interviews from people at the performance including Tom Petty about it. Apparently we have Jeff Lynne's band guitarist to thank for it because he was being an a-hole and solo'd over Prince at rehearsal. Interesting read: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/28/arts/ ... -fame.html
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He's quite the showman. I'll give him that. Laz nailed it in his assessment.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That's an argument with no winner, but no losers, either.

So many styles of music and guitar playing, with stylists crossing/mixing genres. Heavy metal, blues, rockabilly, jazz, "Bakersfield" sound, etc.

It's like trying to pick the best cloud formation you've ever seen.
Exactly. I can name my favorite guitarists and some of you would think they suck. It's all personal opinion. When somebody says somebody is the definitive best guitarist ever I can't let that go.

I think "*****" is the best painter of all time. Same thing.

My list. Steve Morse, Steve Vai, Steve Lukather, Joe Pass, Joe Diorio, Joe Satriani, Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Tommy Tedesco, George Benson, Eddie Van Halen, Allen Holdsworth, David Gillmore, Chet Atkins, John Petrucci, Trey Anistasio, Jimmy Hendrix, Neal Schon, Jeff Beck, Steve Howe, Eric Clapton, SRV, Frank Zappa, Eric Johnson, Paul Gilbert. There are so many more and probably the best guitar player ever is some guy nobody has ever heard of.

carey

Post by carey »

Eddie Vedder calling Prince the best and he plays with Mike McCready who is no damn slouch: http://nerdist.com/prince-was-the-great ... the-world/
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Look up greatest guitar players of all time.

http://www.thetoptens.com/guitarists/pa ... 2049#i3820
Prince #49

http://time.com/3961025/10-greatest-guitar-players/
Prince #10

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artist ... jeff-beck/
Prince didn't crack the list.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... n-20101202
Prince didn't crack the top 100.

http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/ ... ime?page=3
Prince #48

My favorite guitarist is Steve Morse. I rank him #1 and he didn't make any list.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Agree. With music, it's all subjective. My favorite drummer would be shunned by classic drummers (as he's self taught and really creates his own insane time signatures).

Zach Hill

Check the time signature and changes that start going on at 1:57

More from Zach Hill:

BTW, Death Grips is probably the closest thing I can describe as "futuristic" sound. There's really no way to categorize them. Is the sound harsh and violent? Plenty. But it's unlike anything you've heard. Zach Hill is the drummer of said Death Grips.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I think Prince is respected as an amazing guitar player by amazing guitar players. And that's a huge accolade, considering the number of guitar players that have existed over time. That doesn't necessarily make him one of the greatest ever, but of the same echelon. Which is of an elite few.