Game of Thrones: Season 6 (Current)

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Indy

Re: Game of Thrones: Season 6 (Current)

Post by Indy »

We pretty much all know why and it's time for them to show us so we can all stop speculating.
I don't think it would be as expected if so many people hadn't read the books and keep talking about it. If the show were the only source material, I don't think they have shown enough to piece it all together without that kernel of truth that you already know.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I haven't read the books so I have no clue. The show is accounting for a large demographic of their viewers that are in the same boat.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
We pretty much all know why and it's time for them to show us so we can all stop speculating.
I don't think it would be as expected if so many people hadn't read the books and keep talking about it. If the show were the only source material, I don't think they have shown enough to piece it all together without that kernel of truth that you already know.
No disrespect to you at all Indy, but... you can't be serious? The bread crumbs have been prodigious.

This is a video that compiles all the scenes about it... maybe because it's pieced out so slowly you don't notice, but it's 8 minutes long. For the rest of you, do not watch if you're not current on GoT and don't want to know what I'm talking about.
Spoiler: show/hide
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:
No disrespect to you at all Indy, but... you can't be serious? The bread crumbs have been prodigious.

This is a video that compiles all the scenes about it... maybe because it's pieced out so slowly you don't notice, but it's 8 minutes long. For the rest of you, do not watch if you're not current on GoT and don't want to know what I'm talking about.
I think it's the fact that it's so prodigious to you, littered with a trail of breadcrumbs, that separates fans of the show from diehards. I watched the YouTube and would have never drawn that conclusion without watching the series several times and taking notes (or reading the books which still covers the majority of the demographic that watches the series).
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

carey

Post by carey »

AmareIsGod wrote:I think it's the fact that it's so prodigious to you, littered with a trail of breadcrumbs, that separates fans of the show from diehards. I watched the YouTube and would have never drawn that conclusion without watching the series several times and taking notes (or reading the books which still covers the majority of the demographic that watches the series).
You could be right. Sorry. :(
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

No need to be sorry. There's things I'm diehard about. What's life without passion and interests!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:

Those 8 minutes are like 1/2 of 1% of the show so far. Like I said, I try and avoid spoilers from people that have read the books as much as possible, but it is still everywhere. So yes, I am pretty sure I know what they will find in that tower. And I know that Jon had to die so he could end his watch, and try and take the crown that is rightfully his. But I think there is very little in the show that walks you to that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:I think it's the fact that it's so prodigious to you, littered with a trail of breadcrumbs, that separates fans of the show from diehards. I watched the YouTube and would have never drawn that conclusion without watching the series several times and taking notes (or reading the books which still covers the majority of the demographic that watches the series).
You could be right. Sorry. :(
No need to be sorry.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:

If I had not read the books, but only seen the shows, I could come up with the theory we all share.

If I were crazy and spent a significant portion of my life over analyzing the show, or watching very select scenes from it in a random order that happened to hint at it.

Nobody who only watches the show (until very recently, where the hints have become less hinty and more kick in the ass-y) would be likely to come up with that concept, especially on a single pass through, as most people watch things.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Ghost wrote:
carey wrote:
Indy wrote:

If I had not read the books, but only seen the shows, I could come up with the theory we all share...if I were crazy and spent a significant portion of my life over analyzing the show, or watching very select scenes from it in a random order that happened to hint at it.

Nobody who only watches the show (until very recently, where the hints have become less hinty and more kick in the ass-y) would be likely to come up with that concept, especially on a single pass through, as most people watch things.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I have mixed feelings about Season 6 so far. I'm completely immersed in the story, and I watch each week eagerly to see what will happen next. But I find that this season has maybe the worst dialogue and overall writing of any GoT season. The lack of book source material is really hurting the dialogue and writing. I cringe about 3-4 times per episode. In particular:

* Tyrion making "dick jokes" to Varys is stupid
* the Dothraki making a bunch of crude jokes like "yo mama" to each other is stupid
* Grand Maester Pycelle farting is stupid
* the dialogue and overall plot of Dorne makes no sense
* the scene in ep.3 where Tyrion is sitting around killing time bored with Grey Worm and Missandei was stupid

I could go on, but those are some prominent examples. I am really enjoying some plots and scenes a lot, like the Bran stuff, most of the Jon Snow stuff, King's Landing, and Sansa/Brienne. And getting answers to big book questions like RLJ and Jon Snow waking up are huge. And some scenes, like the one where Varys turns the Meereenese informant girl to his side, are really well written and acted. So it's a mixed bag.

Don't get me wrong: I still eagerly await each episode, and S06E02 was very memorable and good. I just think we are 1-for-3 on really good episodes so far and I hope the ratio improves.

carey

Post by carey »

Ha. I loved that Tyrion scene. "I don't drink." - "Until you do!" Classic Tyrion.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Mori Chu wrote:I have mixed feelings about Season 6 so far. I'm completely immersed in the story, and I watch each week eagerly to see what will happen next. But I find that this season has maybe the worst dialogue and overall writing of any GoT season. The lack of book source material is really hurting the dialogue and writing. I cringe about 3-4 times per episode. In particular:

* Tyrion making "dick jokes" to Varys is stupid
* the Dothraki making a bunch of crude jokes like "yo mama" to each other is stupid
* Grand Maester Pycelle farting is stupid
* the dialogue and overall plot of Dorne makes no sense
* the scene in ep.3 where Tyrion is sitting around killing time bored with Grey Worm and Missandei was stupid

I could go on, but those are some prominent examples. I am really enjoying some plots and scenes a lot, like the Bran stuff, most of the Jon Snow stuff, King's Landing, and Sansa/Brienne. And getting answers to big book questions like RLJ and Jon Snow waking up are huge. And some scenes, like the one where Varys turns the Meereenese informant girl to his side, are really well written and acted. So it's a mixed bag.

Don't get me wrong: I still eagerly await each episode, and S06E02 was very memorable and good. I just think we are 1-for-3 on really good episodes so far and I hope the ratio improves.
Wow. I disagree with pretty much all this. I'm loving season 6 so far and all the Tyrion and Varys stuff has been hilarious to me. I agree with the Dorne point though, not sure where they are going with that.

carey

Post by carey »

I'm not sure how anyone can hate anything about last night's episode. O.o Got anything negative to say about that one guys?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Last night's episode was just fine. No silly dumb lines of dialogue, and good action. It still doesn't feel very GRRM-ey, but that's okay. It was a great hour of TV and a great episode of GoT. I enjoyed the Brienne and Tormund sexual tension, LOL, did you see that? He had the *MAJOR* hots for her. Rewatch their scenes together and watch how he looks at her. Such funny stuff.

Indy

Post by Indy »

If Tyrion were not making dick jokes he would not be Tyrion. I think you are clouded by confirmation bias since you know they aren't working directly from the books now.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I don't hate the dumb jokes. The khal being given a hard time by his bloodriders about the best things in life was ok and I actually liked the talk in dothraki about Danny's grey junk. Btw, can't understand why her eyes are not violet like in the books.

Not watched last night's episode yet.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I enjoyed episode 4. Characters are reunited, and I feel like the story is finally going somewhere.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Indy wrote:If Tyrion were not making dick jokes he would not be Tyrion. I think you are clouded by confirmation bias since you know they aren't working directly from the books now.
Yes, my thoughts exactly.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:I enjoyed episode 4. Characters are reunited, and I feel like the story is finally going somewhere.
I was a bit confused early on. There was a happy scene where people were smiling and hugging (without stabbing each other) and I was pretty sure I was on the wrong channel. That was a little out of character for everyone. I feel like they should have at least poisoned each other, even if they actually love each other.