Alton Sterling shooting

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Mori Chu

Alton Sterling shooting

Post by Mori Chu »

This is horrifying. The police officers said their body cameras "fell off" as they subdued and shot Sterling to death as he lay prone on the ground. I guess they didn't know they were being recorded by a civilian's phone. The video is graphic and hard to watch. This is just the latest in a long series of such events. ‪#‎BlackLivesMatter‬

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/alt ... ts-n604431

Indy

Re: Alton Sterling shooting

Post by Indy »

I just don't understand why we continue to let this happen. I think the number this year is up to nearly 600 people killed by police officers in the US, and it is just July 4th! We are on pace for nearly 3 people every day being killed by police, and if you are black, you are 9x more likely to be killed.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I saw this on Reddit and it's worth pointing out:

Officer 1: "hes going for his pocket! GUN hes got a gun!"

Thats important. The gun was found because he was going for his pocket while being detained. Yet the police did not shoot. Until he went for a AGAIN. Thats two times in a few seconds while being detained that the officers are reporting in real time he is attempting to get his gun.

Which is not the narrative we see below that one guy screamed "GUN" and the other shot. He went for his gun TWICE

Edit: the article posted neglects both times officer 1 stated he was reaching for the gun too. Horrible journalism but A+ job at creating the narrative you want.

Edit 2: I hope everyone sees my post as an attempt to add more information to an article lacking in it. I had to watch this disaster multiple times and I know most wont and probably shouldnt. We dont know if he was reaching for a gun. Neither those who think this was justified or those who think its murder. But we do now know that in real time officer 1 reported him going for a gun that was eventually in that pocket TWICE. And thats not in the article. And we all should frankly be furious at that.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

I watched it several times and still can't find a reason to shoot the guy from 1 foot away in his chest several times.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I hear you. I was sharing a differing view I found of Reddit. After watching several times and seeing the new footage, I'm beyond disgusted. It's killing season if you're a minority in this country and corrupt cops are hungry to pull the trigger.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Indy

Post by Indy »

I assume it was this version. It is so disgusting. And so scary.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Unfortunately I can't access that video.

File not found. File has either been deleted, or you entered the wrong URL.

But it likely is. Is it the video from the top side of the police officer, closer and includes some video of the first time the officer fires the gun into the victims chest?

Gut wrenching and terrifying.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

And it's got a lot of HD footage. Not for the faint of heart.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

His arms are pinned down. How could he get to a gun? The officer is point blank on top of him. Looks like an execution.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

^ Yes, the video looks really bad. I think it's crazy that these cops act so threatened and are so quick to use lethal force. The guy is on the ground, not able to move, not resisting. They just straight up kill him.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Most cops are good. I was pulled over last week going 10 over in Scottsdale. I bought a new car two months ago and didn't have my plate sticker and only my temp registration. He could have nailed me for that and speeding. I treated him with respect and was courteous. He treated me with respect and let me go with a warning. In every case with the Police I have had showing them respect and complying with their instructions goes a long way. Come across as defensive and combative and I would have certainly gotten a ticket IMO. Some bad apples can make them all get a bad rep.

The Black guys going after cops are not doing anybody any favors. Now BLM is getting the rep as a bunch of murderers by right wing groups. Some bad apples can make them all get a bad rep.

Muslims are getting the rep of being terrorists. Some bad apples can make them all get a bad rep.

I don't go on Facebook very often but, lately I have been seeing some videos posted that give me hope in civilization. There was a group of BLM people protesting and another counter protest group protesting them. The two leaders met in the middle, shook hands and then both groups ended up getting together and had a hug fest.

I just saw another where BLM and the Wichita police had a joint get together at a park with food and dancing. Everybody having fun and it was nothing but love. Haven't seen anything similar on any news outlet. They only show the most gloomiest divisive stories when there is good out there. Sometimes you have to have a setback to make progress. It sucks that you have to go to Facebook to see any positive news. None of the major outlets will ever show a positive story. Gloom and doom sells and divides the country.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:Most cops are good. I was pulled over last week going 10 over in Scottsdale. I bought a new car two months ago and didn't have my plate sticker and only my temp registration. He could have nailed me for that and speeding. I treated him with respect and was courteous. He treated me with respect and let me go with a warning. In every case with the Police I have had showing them respect and complying with their instructions goes a long way. Come across as defensive and combative and I would have certainly gotten a ticket IMO. Some bad apples can make them all get a bad rep.
A black man may not get the same courtesy no matter how much respect he shows in some parts of the country. It's easy for us as priviledged white men to say this but we'll never know how we'd be treated if we were a minority.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I was thinking the same thing but, didn't know how to say it. I was once pulled very about 20 years ago and was instantly surrounded by several cop cars and they meant business. It turns out they were looking for a guy with my same name as mine. They let me go when they found out the guy they were looking for was Black.