NBA 2K17

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Flagrant Fowl

NBA 2K17

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Has anyone picked this up yet?

I was going to wait until Black Friday or closer to Christmas before buying it, but I picked it up on impulse buy last night. :lol:

I haven't played a 2K game in a few years, so this one definitely feels completely new to me.

I started a MyGM with the Suns and everything is going pretty well despite losing an OT heartbreaker in the opening game and getting absolutely blasted by GSW. All-Star difficulty seems to be the sweet spot for me right now.

I'm currently running a deep rotation of 11 guys, and every game someone new seems to step up and carry the team. Even Len came off the bench for 18/10 in 14 minutes in a win against OKC. Other things I've noticed includes Bender's shooting being way overrated in this game, but I'm loving the opportunity to exploit it. I immediately put him in the starting line up and demoted Dudley to the bench after the first game. Also, Bookers shooting doesn't seem to be as good as I think it should be, but I'm probably forcing it a bit with him because I want him to become a superstar.

My plan for the season is to eventually deal Knight and Tucker, but I'm letting things play out for a bit before I do that.

Let me know if you guys want more updates as I progress!
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Re: NBA 2K17

Post by Superbone »

I played through Prelude and I'm just now getting ready to sit down and play the real game. Everything has been very cool so far. Keep up the impressions!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Just finished my first full game. Played an exhibition game Lakers @ Suns. I had a good lead most of the way but the Lakers closed the gap late. However, I pulled away for the win. Chandler was player of the game with 12 points and 9 boards. Starting lineup (default) was Bledsoe, Booker, Warren, Dudley, Chandler. They had the new purple court border.

It was weird. Some random white dude was running the timeouts yet Watson was on the bench. Bledsoe is way too skinny in the game. He looks like Archie Goodwin. Speaking of which, I let the game do all the subbing and Archie was the only one with a DNP. Ulis even got some meaningful minutes.

The game flows well. I'm having a lot of fun with it. Looking forward to getting more into it.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:It was weird. Some random white dude was running the timeouts yet Watson was on the bench.
Yeah, I get that too, and it doesn't make sense at all. All of the other teams have their HC in the huddle talking to the team.

I'm sitting at 6-5 after yet another loss to GSW. This time it was a little more competitive, but they're really unstoppable in transition. It's so damn frustrating. Their big four accounted for 103 of 133 points, including 19-27 from behind the three-point line. Oh yeah, and that was with Green going out in the second quarter with an injury. They've even somehow made Zaza Pachulia into an All-Star merely by association.

If you're playing with the Suns, use the pick and roll control with Bender. He's nearly automatic if you tell him to pop out. The last three games I've gone for 42, 40, and 34 points with him. I think it's safe to say that he's going to win ROY if he stays healthy, which is unfortunately what happened to Booker who went out in the fifth game with a severe ankle sprain. Out for 4-6 weeks...

I have a problem with a couple of animations that occur too frequently for my liking, both on defense. One is when the player I'm controlling gets "glued" behind an opponent or teammate early in the defensive set. This often leaves the CPU guard wide open for an automatic score, usually a three. I realize this happens in reality sometimes, but usually their is a higher level of teammate awareness to provide help defense.

The other problem I have is when I'm playing 1-on-1 defense with a highly skilled guard like Curry or Lillard they have this stupid ability to cause my player to go into an "ankle braking" animation that essentially guarantees a wide open shot. It really doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to it either. It just seems like the CPU is telling me F$%# YOU, I WILL SCORE. The only thing that's been mildly successful is playing off-the-ball defense a lot of the time because the CPU does a better job of defending itself that I can apparently.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

I currently own2k15 on PS3. Didn't upgrade last year as didn't like our roster and didn't want to start over again with my career

Torn between upgrading and continuing with my career- On a contender currently with everyone in their prime. I'm still too cheap to upgrade to ps4 since 2k is the only game I play

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'll just tell you, 2K17 on PS4 plays fantasticly. The best the series has felt to me in a long time.

So, I started season mode last night and the Suns handily won the home opener against Sacramento. This time, I think it was Jay Triano running the huddles. Strange. Once again, Chandler with player of the game. I think it's because I love throwing it into the post and doing work. Len was probably a close runner up as he had nearly the same stats in less minutes.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I made my first trade as Suns GM..

I sent Brandon Knight and a first round pick to Brooklyn for Bojan Bogdanovic and the Nets/Celitcs (which ever is lower) first rounder. I'm confident I'll be in the playoffs, so the I should be getting a higher pick than my own pick regardless of the Nets or Celtics records.

I was finally starting to get the timing down on Knight's jumper, and I was starting to enjoy using him while Booker was out for about 6 weeks with an injury. But the first game Booker returned I put him in Knights starting SG position, we blow out the Knicks by 30 (they're terrible, by far my easiest win so far), and Knight comes to me saying that he wants a starting position. I'm not going to start him over Bledsoe or Booker, so.. adios!

There were better players I could've had for Knight, but Bogdanovic has one year left on his deal for $3.6M. That freed up a ton of cap space for me to go after Curry or Durant in free agency, with The Greek Freak as my back up plan. Plus, I was already targeting Bogdanovic in the upcoming free agency because my offense is basically pace and space, SSOL style, and Tucker has been too inconsistent for me off the bench.

I'm 16-9, riding a 6 game winning streak, and now my lineup is:
Bledsoe-Booker-Warren-Bender-Chandler
Ulis-Barbosa/Goodwin-Tucker/Bogdanovich-Dudley/Chriss-Len

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

So I managed to get my mycareer player drafted by the Suns
I have few issues scoring but I really need advice on playing team defense. If you try to help at all your guys just bombs away 3s
Also despite having Len and ibaka on the team they do little to help shot block on help D
Does anyone pleeeeeeaae have some tips for me
There used to be a great vid in it for 2k15 but that stuff doesn't seem to work as well any more. Also stealing seems harder

Any tips on stealing besides intercepting passes back to the pg

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

What difficulty are you playing on?

I'm using All-Star difficulty and averaging 13.6ppg, 12.1apg, 2.5spg as a PG on the Pistons through 17 games.

I had a bit of an advantage when I started because I played a full season and won the NBA title with the Suns on myGM. I probably played close to 80 full games, which netted me about 50K in VC, and I used all of that to boost myPlayers attributes before playing a single game. I upgraded all the shooting areas, playmaking, and defense quite a bit at this point, so my OVR is 76.

The best advice I have for defense is to keep it simple. Stay in front of your man, don't leave your feet, don't spam the steal button, and play smart off-ball defense. For getting on-ball steals, the best you can do is learn the angles and be aware of who you're trying to steal the ball from. Don't try to steal the ball from someone like CP3, you're just going to foul him, especially if your player is low rated.

Occasionally, you can pick a players pocket if you time it right. Back off a bit and wait for them to call a play. As the play starts sometimes the PG will dribble stationary with minimal ball protection. Get into a good position to attack at a good angle and you'll be more successful stealing the ball.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This is crazy how close NBA 2K17 is to an event that just happened last night!

http://kotaku.com/nba-2k16-vs-real-bask ... 1792830449
"Be Legendary."