Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That gets a little tricky.

I'll lay out the options and let others input their opinions as I would like to make it a standardized rule from this offseason going forward.

A.) It's not allowed.

B.) One player will consume a draft selection two rounds earlier than their previous draft position. For example, keeping two 4th rounders would require using a 2nd round and 3rd round pick on them.

C.) One player will consume a draft selection of the same round they were drafted in the previous season. For example, keeping two 4th rounders would require using a 3rd round and 4th round pick on them.

D.) Something else?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Sup fellas
been peeping the main board offline but forgot about fantasy. I am playing again if y'all were waiting on me to confirm, new to the keeper stuff but will have a look next couple days and should be able to figure it out
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

How do we pick our keepers? Just announce them on here? Or something we do on the league page?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:15 am
How do we pick our keepers? Just announce them on here? Or something we do on the league page?
Most of the league communication goes on here, so I think the easiest thing to do is to announce them here and I will manually adjust the rosters.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

B.

when is keeper deadline?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Please post your keepers here by December 4th. Then we'll have a week for people to select their draft position.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Can you change your keeper selection after the draft order is sorted? The difference between an early second round and late second round spot (for example) could change your thinking on a keeper.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm keeping Doncic (chosen in the 2nd round last year) and Simmons (chosen 3rd round last year). Those two should represent my 1st and 2nd round picks this year. Still fuzzy on choosing draft order tho...we're choosing our own spot? I'd love top half of the 3rd round if possible.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Gladiator wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:36 am
Can you change your keeper selection after the draft order is sorted? The difference between an early second round and late second round spot (for example) could change your thinking on a keeper.
No. I prefer to just keep clean deadlines.

It would create a domino affect of people changing their keeper or draft position in response to another manager's decision. There would be too many moving pieces to do that while maintaining fairness.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:41 am
I'm keeping Doncic (chosen in the 2nd round last year) and Simmons (chosen 3rd round last year). Those two should represent my 1st and 2nd round picks this year. Still fuzzy on choosing draft order tho...we're choosing our own spot? I'd love top half of the 3rd round if possible.
Yes, Luka will be your first round pick, Simmons your second round pick.

We'll get to the draft position selection once all keepers have been declared. SplitT will have the first choice and I believe you will be last (ProjectMayhem, right?), so actually you won't really be picking a position. :lol:

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'll put in a addendum to the keeper rule for the short window between designating keepers and our draft which will be about 2 weeks.

If a designated keeper is injured sometime between December 4th and our draft, I will allow that manager to change their keeper selection if they wish to do so.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I legit come in no less than like 3rd in my other yahoo leagues and always finish last in this league. The fix is in!

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

I'll be keeping SGA for a 5th round pick and John Wall for a 13th round pick.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Is John Wall supposed to play this season?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yes I believe so.

And I’ll keep Trae(1st round pick) and Ingram(8th round)

Also I want the first pick in round 2.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:36 pm
Our league has been renewed on Yahoo. I advise anyone with roster or league standing questions to go to the league page, change the season to 2019-2020 and select the rosters or draft results tab.

Offseason Timeline

By December 4th: Announce Keeper Players
By December 11th: Select Draft Position
December 18-21 (TBD): Draft

Keeper Rules:
  • 1st round picks from the previous draft are not eligible to be kept.
  • Managers may select a maximum of two keeper players.
  • Keeper players consume the 2020 draft pick of their 2019 round minus one. For example, Luka Doncic was drafted in the 2019 second round, so he would consume a 2020 first round pick if he's selected as a keeper player by his manager.
  • 2019 undrafted players selected as a 2020 keeper player will consume a 7th round pick in the 2020 draft.

Draft Position Selection:

The draft order will be created by managers selecting their position based on the 2019 final standings with the priority going to the higher ranked teams. This is a one time solution and will not be implemented for the 2021 draft.

Please announce your desired draft position as quickly as possible after every manager has declared their keeper players.

2019 Final Standings
  1. SplitT
  • Team Island Vybez
  • Shabazz
  • Flagrant Fowl
  • BookTheGoat
  • Huskies
  • Platapus Beaks
  • Andrew Gaze AllStars
  • Dolemite
  • Maldo
  • Superbone's Suns
  • Project Mayhem
It's important to consider your desired keeper players when making a draft position selection. I will use SplitT as an example since he will have the first choice of draft position and I believe he has some desirable keepers at early round positions.

In the first three rounds of the 2019 draft SplitT selected 1. Nikola Jokic, 2. Trae Young, and 3. Zion Williamson. Jokic is not eligible to be kept per the no first round keepers rule, so Trae and/or Zion are likely to be his keeper selections. If he choses to keep Trae Young (and another non-Zion player), Trae will consume his 2020 first round selection. So it would benefit him to select the 12th draft position because he would then pick 1st in the subsequent round (13th overall) from the pool of non-keeper players.

If SplitT decides to keep both Trae Young and Zion Williamson, his better strategy is to select the 1st draft position because Trae Young would consume the 1st round pick and Zion would consume his 2nd round pick (24th overall). This strategy would allow him to select the 1st pick in the subsequent round (25th overall) from the pool of non-keeper players.

Draft Time & Date:

Pre-season games will be concluded on December 19th and the regular season will tip-off on December 22nd. We'll conduct the draft sometime during that window at a time and date that is most convenient for as many managers as possible.
Hey FF, thanks again for pulling this together. Just a quick one for you (and the league) - are we able to swap the deadlines for draft order and keepers? What spot you land could easily sway a line-ball call with keepers - for example if I'm the last pick in the second round I may potentially choose Kemba Walker as a keeper, with pick 24 arguably ok for him and allows me to make some choices are team building with pick 1 and 3. But no way would I make that call if I had first pick in round 2. To my way of thinking, it's easier to nominate a draft position having a decent idea who your keepers will be, but harder to nominate your keepers without knowing what draft slot they'll be taking.

Not a big deal either way, but just makes sense to me. Cheers

PS: Christian Wood will be one of my keepers (7th round as a free agent pick up)

bIGDRAWLS0072

Post by bIGDRAWLS0072 »

Can you explain more about the draft order?

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Unless I have misread it, teams can pick which draft position they’ll take (based on lasts year’s standings, with the first-placed team picking their draft position first). There could be a benefit for some teams in drafting late in the first round if they plan to keep a first-round player, so it’s not as simple as following last year’s finishing order. We don’t need to lock in our draft slots until after keepers are nominated, as it stands.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, I'm totally confused about draft order. Just tell me where I draft. I got off to a bad start at the bottom of the draft last year anyway. And now Klay is out for the year.

My keepers:
Jamal Murray
Tyler Herro
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Gladiator wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:21 am

Hey FF, thanks again for pulling this together. Just a quick one for you (and the league) - are we able to swap the deadlines for draft order and keepers? What spot you land could easily sway a line-ball call with keepers - for example if I'm the last pick in the second round I may potentially choose Kemba Walker as a keeper, with pick 24 arguably ok for him and allows me to make some choices are team building with pick 1 and 3. But no way would I make that call if I had first pick in round 2. To my way of thinking, it's easier to nominate a draft position having a decent idea who your keepers will be, but harder to nominate your keepers without knowing what draft slot they'll be taking.

Not a big deal either way, but just makes sense to me. Cheers

PS: Christian Wood will be one of my keepers (7th round as a free agent pick up)
Thanks for your input. As for your question about selecting draft positions before keepers, it's a bit of a chicken or the egg situation.

If we selected draft positions first, we'd be guessing about which players might be kept and it would make the whole process more laborious for people to figure out. By selecting keepers first, we will eliminate the guess work of trying to figure out which players may or may not be available when making a draft position selection and managers really only have to consider how their own keeper selection affects their draft strategy.

Ultimately, I believe the draft is still more valuable than the two keeper selections, so it's better to have an understanding of the entire draft pool as it benefits managers when selecting a draft position and their draft strategy.

I hope that makes enough sense, and to be fair, I initially planned to organize the deadlines as you suggested, but I eventually came to the conclusion that it would be more difficult for managers to figure out than the way it is now.