Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 2299
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by Flagrant Fowl » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:39 pm

pickle wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:02 pm
i vote no to taking out turnovers...
Weak.
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:25 pm
Auction!!!!
+1

If the majority want to keep the same ol' set up we've always had, I'll still play.

But I will start another league for those who are capable of expanding their fantasy horizons. This would include an auction draft and the removal of turnovers as a stat. I'd suggest splitting rebounding into offensive and defensive if the league wants to maintain 9 categories.
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 4865
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by ShelC » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:22 am

I'd prefer double doubles to TOs as a category. Not interested in an auction format.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8881
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by Indy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 am

What is the logic for removing TOs as a category?

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 7754
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by Split T » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:43 am

Indy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 am
What is the logic for removing TOs as a category?
It’s the only negative stat, you’re probably gonna lose that category just by being more active than your opponent. It also punishes teams that have high usage players. High usage players are the best players in the league and using turnovers brings them down in fantasy. Booker is better than Otto Porter Jr, but with turnovers he might not be in fantasy.

So, I don’t like turnovers, I’d rather focus on what good things players do and not have to factor in how many turnovers they are going to get in the process. I also don’t like having 1 category that hurts you the more active you are at keeping your roster updated.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8881
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by Indy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:48 pm

Split T wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:43 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 am
What is the logic for removing TOs as a category?
It’s the only negative stat, you’re probably gonna lose that category just by being more active than your opponent. It also punishes teams that have high usage players. High usage players are the best players in the league and using turnovers brings them down in fantasy. Booker is better than Otto Porter Jr, but with turnovers he might not be in fantasy.

So, I don’t like turnovers, I’d rather focus on what good things players do and not have to factor in how many turnovers they are going to get in the process. I also don’t like having 1 category that hurts you the more active you are at keeping your roster updated.
Interesting. I don't do much fantasy basketball because of how much time it takes, but it seems like it is similar to interceptions in FF. Seems like it makes the game much more interesting to have a negative stat so you have to make trade offs.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 7754
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by Split T » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:22 pm

Indy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:48 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:43 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 am
What is the logic for removing TOs as a category?
It’s the only negative stat, you’re probably gonna lose that category just by being more active than your opponent. It also punishes teams that have high usage players. High usage players are the best players in the league and using turnovers brings them down in fantasy. Booker is better than Otto Porter Jr, but with turnovers he might not be in fantasy.

So, I don’t like turnovers, I’d rather focus on what good things players do and not have to factor in how many turnovers they are going to get in the process. I also don’t like having 1 category that hurts you the more active you are at keeping your roster updated.
Interesting. I don't do much fantasy basketball because of how much time it takes, but it seems like it is similar to interceptions in FF. Seems like it makes the game much more interesting to have a negative stat so you have to make trade offs.
Football is scored differently though. It’s a points league, the stats all combine to give you one score. Basketball is scored in categories, so turnovers is scored by itself.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 15054
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by Superbone » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:07 pm

I'm willing to go with whatever the consensus is.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing.

User avatar
Hermen
Posts: 870
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:35 pm

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by Hermen » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:04 am

I'm not sure I'll have enough time to be properly active this year, so if you're not desperate for players I'd skip this season.

Gladiator
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:08 am

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by Gladiator » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:04 am

I'm not too fussed about turnovers, but would slightly lean towards keeping them. Because of time zones, I'm always a bit iffy to make the draft live so would prefer not to go to an auction format.

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 3727
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by Shabazz » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:57 pm

Snake drafts are for kids.

User avatar
pickle
Posts: 1217
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by pickle » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:57 am

Indy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:48 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:43 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 am
What is the logic for removing TOs as a category?
It’s the only negative stat, you’re probably gonna lose that category just by being more active than your opponent. It also punishes teams that have high usage players. High usage players are the best players in the league and using turnovers brings them down in fantasy. Booker is better than Otto Porter Jr, but with turnovers he might not be in fantasy.

So, I don’t like turnovers, I’d rather focus on what good things players do and not have to factor in how many turnovers they are going to get in the process. I also don’t like having 1 category that hurts you the more active you are at keeping your roster updated.
Interesting. I don't do much fantasy basketball because of how much time it takes, but it seems like it is similar to interceptions in FF. Seems like it makes the game much more interesting to have a negative stat so you have to make trade offs.
This is exactly how I feel about turnovers as a category. It's part of the game, it affects players' abilities to help their teams win games. I don't get why we would take it out just because it's "not fun". Fantasy is not a one to one for real life so yeah it's a bit of a shame for Booker to possibly rank below Otto Porter, though it would seem that's not the case even with turnovers turned on.

User avatar
pickle
Posts: 1217
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by pickle » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 am

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:39 pm
pickle wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:02 pm
i vote no to taking out turnovers...
Weak.
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:25 pm
Auction!!!!
+1

If the majority want to keep the same ol' set up we've always had, I'll still play.

But I will start another league for those who are capable of expanding their fantasy horizons. This would include an auction draft and the removal of turnovers as a stat. I'd suggest splitting rebounding into offensive and defensive if the league wants to maintain 9 categories.
I'm in for auction, and I am open to trying new things. If there is another league please do let me know. If I spend the time on following stats for one team, might as well apply it to other teams too.

TO as a category is not a make or break for me, especially if the other parameters are interesting enough.

User avatar
pickle
Posts: 1217
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by pickle » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:04 am

Superbone wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:07 pm
I'm willing to go with whatever the consensus is.
Maybe let's get the managers all signed up and then take a vote... any chance we can go back to 14 teams?

User avatar
BookTheGoat
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:34 pm

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by BookTheGoat » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:58 pm

I’m in if there’s any open spots.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 15054
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by Superbone » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:27 am

pickle wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:04 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:07 pm
I'm willing to go with whatever the consensus is.
Maybe let's get the managers all signed up and then take a vote... any chance we can go back to 14 teams?
I’ll set it up this weekend.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 15054
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by Superbone » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:27 am

BookTheGoat wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:58 pm
I’m in if there’s any open spots.
I don’t see why not.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing.

User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 2299
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by Flagrant Fowl » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:46 pm

Could we hold the draft sometime during the weekend of October 18th-20th? I prefer to avoid the 20th if possible, but I can try to make it work depending on the start time.
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 15054
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by Superbone » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:34 pm

Just re-upped our league. For those looking to join, IM me and I'll send you the link:
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 15054
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by Superbone » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:37 pm

Are any of the old-timers interested in taking over as commish? I just don't have the time to commit to it that I should.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing.

User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 2299
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by Flagrant Fowl » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:41 pm

I'll run it.
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

Post Reply