Westworld

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Mori Chu

Westworld

Post by Mori Chu »

Let's have a dedicated thread to talk about this intriguing HBO drama.

Spoiler policy: Feel free to talk about anything that has aired, but please don't paste any crazy spoilers from Reddit about things that haven't happened on the show yet (e.g. leaks from production or from advance copies of episodes or whatever). If you aren't sure, use a spoiler tag.

Mori Chu

Re: Westworld

Post by Mori Chu »

There have been four episodes so far. I think it's a fun show. The one thing I'll say is that I am not sure the central conceit of the show works for me. They seem to be asking the question, "Can robots be alive?" And to me it's so obvious that it's boring; of course they're alive. They are completely realistic and act like humans all the time, except for being able to be cleaned up and rebooted back to life. Maybe I'd have more suspense about it if the robots acted more, well, robotic.

The show has introduced a lot of mysteries, but I worry that it will be hard to deliver satisfying conclusions to all of them. What if the Man in Black is just a rich guy on vacation? What if Arnold is just dead? What if Bernard is just a regular guy? Will it be interesting if we discover that some character is really a robot? Will it matter?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:What if the Man in Black is just a rich guy on vacation?
I'm pretty sure that's the case, isn't it? They even had a real world fan try to engage him in the last episode before MiB shut him down. What are you thinking? I think they're just using the character to explore the deeper meaning and goings on of Westworld. The game behind the game, if you will.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Well, there are some theories about the Man in Black. Some say:
Spoiler: show/hide
And others say:
I think the former theory may be true, and the latter is very unlikely to be true.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There are a ton of crackpot theories out there. For me the big thing is trying to figure out who's really a robot. I think that's one of the big twists the show will use as it goes along: Surprising reveals where a character we thought was human turns out to really be a host. I have two characters who I most strongly think are robots, based on my own thoughts and not on any particular web page. They are:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Any thoughts on last night's episode 5? It seemed to imply that there are ...

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Any thoughts on last night's episode 5? It seemed to imply that there are ...
I think that was more her having visions than an actual clone.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

This theory is pretty interesting but not sure if I buy it.
http://collider.com/westworld-man-in-bl ... explained/

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Wally_West wrote:This theory is pretty interesting but not sure if I buy it.
Very interesting and I kind of wish I hadn't read it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Wally_West wrote:This theory is pretty interesting but not sure if I buy it.
Very interesting and I kind of wish I hadn't read it.
Good to know. I'll stay away.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Any thoughts on last night's episode 5? It seemed to imply that there are ...
I think that was more her having visions than an actual clone.
Yeah, I thought they were visions too. Interesting that she's keeping secrets from Hopkin's character though.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I know it's vital to the plot, but...
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

FFowl: You put your comments in a spoiler tag. I think you probably didn't need to do it. I think the spoiler rule we should use for this thread is, if it's about an episode that has already aired, you can post it. If it's a theory or link from Reddit or some site trying to give away something they've inferred or guessed or been told about the secrets and mysteries of the plot, don't post it / put it in a spoiler tag. Your message is about content of the 6th episode that aired last night, and I think that's fair game to post outside of spoiler tags. Anybody reading this thread should do so after catching up on all episodes that have aired.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The end of this past weekend's episode (S01E07, "Trompe L'Oeil") was pretty freaking incredible. One of the best scenes of television I have watched in a long time.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yep, and you were right about ol' Bernard.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm now wondering if in ep 8 they will:
Lately I think that the overall arc of the William/Dolores story is going to be:

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

William is beyond annoying

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This plot line with Maeve is still annoying the hell out of me.

I know it's dumb to clamor for realism in this show, but the two butches ability to be manipulated and controlled just comes across as lazy writing.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I was a pretty big skeptic of the two major fan theories regarding this show but after this most recent episode I think they are pretty hard to deny at this point. So watch out when googling the show.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:This plot line with Maeve is still annoying the hell out of me.

I know it's dumb to clamor for realism in this show, but the two butches ability to be manipulated and controlled just comes across as lazy writing.
Yeah, considering how much Ford knows about everything that goes on in the park in other contexts, it's stunning that he seems to know nothing about what's going on with Maeve. But ... maybe he does know? Maybe that's the swerve we'll see at the end, that Maeve isn't really subverting or escaping anything at all. She's just doing what Ford is allowing her to do. Who knows.