Europe Tips & Tricks

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Flagrant Fowl

Europe Tips & Tricks

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I meant to make this post a while ago, but never got around to it. Now I'm doing last minute stuff and I remembered...

I'm heading out for a two week solo trip to Europe today (2/10), and I'm wondering if anyone has helpful information they'd like to share about the cities where I'll be staying. I've never been, so this will be a completely new experience.

I'll be staying in Amsterdam, (fucking) Bruges, Dortmund (1 night), Barcelona, and Paris.

Anything about places to go and things to see, or just general advice about do's and don'ts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Re: Europe Tips & Tricks

Post by Nodack »

I have been to Amsterdam a few times. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. They have a nice Tulip festival there if that's what you are into. They also have a red light district where a lot of tourists go to check out prostitutes, smoke pot and shop. The Heinekin brewery is close too. There was a real nice museum a short train ride away by as well. I heard they cracked down on Americans smoking there a few years back but I couldn't say for sure. The train station takes you within a mile away from the red light district. They have a variety of hotels in the area ranging from really nice to sharing a bathroom with everybody else on the same floor.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I've figured out the major sightseeing things for every place I'm going. I'm just looking for any unique advice that isn't obvious to most tourists.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

I've been to Amsterdam and Barcelona, but both in the summer (and 6-7 years ago), so my brilliant non-obvious advice is: don't fall asleep on the beach around noon or you'll wake up 50 shades of purple :)
Not sure how obvious it is or if it's your thing, but I enjoyed the aquarium in Barcelona and some science museum in Amsterdam. Have a nice trip.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think if it's your first time in Paris, go for the touristy stuff. It's all incredible and worth seeing. Save the off-the-beaten path stuff for future trips.

I haven't been to any of the other cities.