Nintendo Switch

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Bruiser

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by Bruiser »

Wally_West wrote:
carey wrote:I need a Zelda review on the WiiU. We have one and I don't want to upgrade to the Switch. Anyone knows if it plays ok on the U?
My friend bought it for the Wii U and says it's fantastic.
I can second that. As far as I can tell there is no need to go switch (yet).

Fantastic game.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Today was a good day. Image

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I love this game so damn much. Like, truly love. I haven't enjoyed a game this much since I was a young kid. The joy Mario 64 gave me, running around in what felt like expansive dream worlds.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:I love this game so damn much. Like, truly love. I haven't enjoyed a game this much since I was a young kid. The joy Mario 64 gave me, running around in what felt like expansive dream worlds.
Yeah. It is pretty great. I have been running around with a bunch of spirit orbs and hadn't cashed them in. Then the Deku Tree told me to go cash them in to pull out the Master Sword and I decided it was worth staying up after midnight to do it. :)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My wife and I have gotten decently far into Zelda, but we still feel like we have so far to go. We haven't beaten any of the four Beasts, but we have entered into two of them and then warped out. We have revealed 100% of the world map and have about 13 heart containers and 1.6 stamina rings. Character is decently upgraded, wearing the "suit of armor" upgraded 2x by the great fairy to give +36 defense total. Lots of good meat and elixirs in our satchel. We have a bunch of Korok seeds but can't find where the big Korok seed-taker guy has run off to currently. We haven't beaten the Lost Woods yet or braved much of the Gerudo Desert.

I'd say my least favorite thing about the game so far is that the weapons break. I get a cool flame sword, use it to kill a few Moblins, and *ting!* it breaks. It makes me just not want to use any of the cool weapons we pick up. We have a few weapons with 45 attack power and we hoard them, terrified to use them lest they shatter.

Is there any weapon that never breaks? Is there any way to make weapons more durable or last forever?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Is anybody playing any other Switch games? I bought Blaster Master Zero and have played it for about an hour, but honestly it is only a B+ game to me. It's essentially no better than a fancy NES game, which is okay I guess, but for $20 in 2017 I kind of expected more. There aren't a lot of good titles on the system. Hilariously, their online store is flooded with games that are Neo-Geo games running on an emulator. Ugh; why? Who would buy Fatal Fury or Metal Slug on emulator on Switch in 2017?

I also have only used the Switch in its portable form for maybe 20-30 minutes total. I see no point in playing at home on a tiny screen when I could play on my 65" flat screen TV. I gave up a bunch of potential system processing power for a portable mode I will almost never use?

One appeal of the Switch was supposed to be that it would let Nintendo focus on a single console rather than a portable and a home system. But I read the other day that Nintendo still sees great sales on the 3DS and plans to keep that system alive for the foreseeable future, developing games for both systems. So ... they don't get the aforementioned benefit of developer consolidation after all.

I worry that Switch may be yet another Nintendo console with a depressing lineup outside of 2-3 great first-party Nintendo-made hits per year. That was the Wii U for sure. It's sold a lot of systems, but once you beat Zelda, what's it good for? Mario Kart 8, a re-release of a Wii U game? Uh oh.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I agree that I have no desire to play it in it's portable form. The system is almost worth it for Zelda alone. I currently have no other purchase plans for it other than Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario Odyssey.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I play The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Shovel Knights and the top down shoot em up space ship game all quite a bit in the handheld form factor. Prefect for putting in an hour or so when I have some downtime away from the TV.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:My wife and I have gotten decently far into Zelda, but we still feel like we have so far to go. We haven't beaten any of the four Beasts, but we have entered into two of them and then warped out. We have revealed 100% of the world map and have about 13 heart containers and 1.6 stamina rings. Character is decently upgraded, wearing the "suit of armor" upgraded 2x by the great fairy to give +36 defense total. Lots of good meat and elixirs in our satchel. We have a bunch of Korok seeds but can't find where the big Korok seed-taker guy has run off to currently. We haven't beaten the Lost Woods yet or braved much of the Gerudo Desert.

I'd say my least favorite thing about the game so far is that the weapons break. I get a cool flame sword, use it to kill a few Moblins, and *ting!* it breaks. It makes me just not want to use any of the cool weapons we pick up. We have a few weapons with 45 attack power and we hoard them, terrified to use them lest they shatter.

Is there any weapon that never breaks? Is there any way to make weapons more durable or last forever?
The Master Sword never breaks, but it does lose its power if you use it too much against normal beasts instead of Ganon.

I beat the game this weekend when my son dared me to go to Hyrule Castle to find a cookbook on a side quest. And I have only been to about 60% of the shrines. I did beat all the divine beasts first. I think the puzzle of getting to all of the terminals is harder than the bosses at each one.

I finally figured out how to use the korok seeds after I beat the game, but I cheated with a google search. I had never found the big dude outside of town before. Not sure how I missed him, but I did power up my stamina wheel quite a bit at first so I can jump up mountains and glide most places... Not a good idea if you want to explore everything. I guess that is why I have only found 75 shrines or so.

I have 18 hearts, 2.25 stamina wheel, and imagine I have nearly all of the armor you can get. But there is another Great Fairy that wants 10,000 to help, and I haven't committed to that yet. I also haven't found the Gerudo tailor to send up north to help with the town.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Is anybody playing any other Switch games? I bought Blaster Master Zero and have played it for about an hour, but honestly it is only a B+ game to me. It's essentially no better than a fancy NES game, which is okay I guess, but for $20 in 2017 I kind of expected more. There aren't a lot of good titles on the system. Hilariously, their online store is flooded with games that are Neo-Geo games running on an emulator. Ugh; why? Who would buy Fatal Fury or Metal Slug on emulator on Switch in 2017?

I also have only used the Switch in its portable form for maybe 20-30 minutes total. I see no point in playing at home on a tiny screen when I could play on my 65" flat screen TV. I gave up a bunch of potential system processing power for a portable mode I will almost never use?

One appeal of the Switch was supposed to be that it would let Nintendo focus on a single console rather than a portable and a home system. But I read the other day that Nintendo still sees great sales on the 3DS and plans to keep that system alive for the foreseeable future, developing games for both systems. So ... they don't get the aforementioned benefit of developer consolidation after all.

I worry that Switch may be yet another Nintendo console with a depressing lineup outside of 2-3 great first-party Nintendo-made hits per year. That was the Wii U for sure. It's sold a lot of systems, but once you beat Zelda, what's it good for? Mario Kart 8, a re-release of a Wii U game? Uh oh.
Zelda, Mario Kart, the next Zelda, and Shovel Knight (which is I think 4 games slated). Those 4 could keep me busy for years.

carey

Re: RE: Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by carey »

Indy wrote: Zelda, Mario Kart, the next Zelda, and Shovel Knight (which is I think 4 games slated). Those 4 could keep me busy for years.
Then you're not a gamer which may not be Nintendo's target audience anymore.

MK8 was fantastic & the only reason we didn't regret our WiiU purchase. The Mario launch title was good to great but too short. Without a full blown MK9 I doubt we will ever have reasons to buy a Switch.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote: Zelda, Mario Kart, the next Zelda, and Shovel Knight (which is I think 4 games slated). Those 4 could keep me busy for years.

MK8 was fantastic & the only reason we didn't regret our WiiU purchase. The Mario launch title was good to great but too short. Without a full blown MK9 I doubt we will ever have reasons to buy a Switch.
I'm probably not. I only have about 8 games for the PS4. Maybe 10.

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:

Oh and portability is amazing with the Switch. I never take more than a carry on size when I travel, even if I'm going away internationally for a week. But I can just drop the switch in between a couple of shirts and I'm good to go with it in my luggage. Hooks up to any hotel Tv. I guess I could have played on the plane too, but I usually use that time to catch up on podcasts.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

MK8 Deluxe on the Switch is amazing! Must buy. GET IT!

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:MK8 Deluxe on the Switch is amazing! Must buy. GET IT!
Is it powerful enough to play 4 people people without any lag?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Will be testing it out tonight after the Dbacks game with some friends I'm going with. I'll let you know how the 4-player split screen games go. I did play online last night with 7 or 8 other people and there was no lag at all.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:
Will be testing it out tonight after the Dbacks game with some friends I'm going with. I'll let you know how the 4-player split screen games go. I did play online last night with 7 or 8 other people and there was no lag at all.
Good to know. I experienced a little bit of lag in one fight in Zelda when I had a ton of things going on (Stasis, Slow-time arrow shooting, and about 6 or 7 different enemies all swinging or shooting things at me). Was curious if that would happen with MK.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I just took off the tiny Joy Con controllers and tried playing single player, thinking it would be frustrating to control and uncomfortable. Somehow it worked perfectly. I got almost as good of lap times as I do with the Pro Controller and was able to jump drift with no problems and cut corners.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

For anyone looking for a case or bag, snagged this today. Easily the best I've found thus far.

http://m.gamestop.com/product/nintendo- ... bag/141853

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I bought MK8 Deluxe for Switch the other day. Great game, but it's literally just MK8 for Wii U with almost nothing added. So I don't have all that much reason to play it. I played the heck out of MK8 already and was hoping for more differences in the new deluxe edition. The changes (Battle mode; a few new drivers/cars) all feel like they should have just been DLC for the existing MK8.