The Orville

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Indy

The Orville

Post by Indy »

This looks very entertaining. Galaxy Quest on TV.

[youtube][/youtube]

Superbone

Re: The Orville

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, just heard of it for the first time last night during commercial breaks. Looking forward to checking it out. I'm a little concerned about McFarlane's acting. I love his voices on Family Guy but his acting is a little stiff and off. OTOH, I look at the production values and wish they would make another Star Trek series. Speaking of which, wasn't there supposed to be one but on a new network that nobody has?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:Yeah, just heard of it for the first time last night during commercial breaks. Looking forward to checking it out. I'm a little concerned about McFarlane's acting. I love his voices on Family Guy but his acting is a little stiff and off. OTOH, I look at the production values and wish they would make another Star Trek series. Speaking of which, wasn't there supposed to be one but on a new network that nobody has?
[youtube][/youtube]

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks. Hmm. Doesn't excite me too much. I guess I'm sexist in that I'm not enamored by the two female leads. Nice SFX though.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Lots of people are complaining that there aren't enough while male leads on the show.

carey

Re: RE: Re: The Orville

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:Lots of people are complaining that there aren't enough while male leads on the show.
There's no shortage of white males in the media. What a dumb thing to complain about.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Re: RE: Re: The Orville

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:Lots of people are complaining that there aren't enough while male leads on the show.
There's no shortage of white males in the media. What a dumb thing to complain about.
No kidding. And to be fair, how you define "lots of people" is very subjective. I am more worried about how often they change show runners/cast/air dates. I think it is really tenuous.

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

Superbone wrote:Yeah, just heard of it for the first time last night during commercial breaks. Looking forward to checking it out. I'm a little concerned about McFarlane's acting. I love his voices on Family Guy but his acting is a little stiff and off. OTOH, I look at the production values and wish they would make another Star Trek series. Speaking of which, wasn't there supposed to be one but on a new network that nobody has?
i am enamored with the 2 female leads, but agree with the other points made in this thread. McF is stiff and it has excellent production for a tv series.

it's an unusual mix of humor, like it wants to be a parody and take itself serious at the same time

i never liked any star trek after the original. the Orville is a little better than those -- i may watch a few minutes from time to time, but i'd be surprised if it was renewed with McF as the star

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I heard the new Star Trek Discovery was only available from CBS on demand. I just got Direct TV with CBS but cannot find it in the search anywhere. A friend of mine really likes the show.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:I heard the new Star Trek Discovery was only available from CBS on demand. I just got Direct TV with CBS but cannot find it in the search anywhere. A friend of mine really likes the show.
The first episode was broadcast on CBS, but the following ones will only be on their streaming service. They picked the right show to try and bolster that service. So far it is completely different from any trek you have seen, but yet completely star trek.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don't know If I like all these different networks charging seperate fees for all one show after shelling out for a service that already has CBS. I have CBS but, I don't have CBS. Too much ala cart.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I recorded Discovery but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I doubt I'm going to chase some external service for it.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

You get a 7 day free trial. I would wait until there are 4 or 5 episodes and then binge them to see if it is worth it to you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:I recorded Discovery but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I doubt I'm going to chase some external service for it.
You should know that the first episode aired on CBS is the first half of a 2 parter.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:I recorded Discovery but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I doubt I'm going to chase some external service for it.
You should know that the first episode aired on CBS is the first half of a 2 parter.
Bastards! And of course the 2nd part debuts on the new streaming service, right?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Bastards! And of course the 2nd part debuts on the new streaming service, right?
Yep. After watching it, I am already signed up for the full year. It has a lot of promise (great actors, amazing detail/design). The only iffy part so far is the storyline, because you haven't really seen it yet. But considering who is involved, I am ready to pay $60 to watch 13 more episodes this season. That is about the cost of 1 week's worth of lunches.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Yep. After watching it, I am already signed up for the full year. It has a lot of promise (great actors, amazing detail/design). The only iffy part so far is the storyline, because you haven't really seen it yet. But considering who is involved, I am ready to pay $60 to watch 13 more episodes this season. That is about the cost of 1 week's worth of lunches.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to take your suggestion and try the free trial after a few episodes have been queued up.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

$60 just watch a tv show? Not gonna happen.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:$60 just watch a tv show? Not gonna happen.
It is a lot cheaper than Netflix or Amazon Prime or HBO for a year.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Nodack wrote:$60 just watch a tv show? Not gonna happen.
It is a lot cheaper than Netflix or Amazon Prime or HBO for a year.
Can you get it for one month for less?
"Be Legendary."