Tech That Is New

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Nodack

Re: Latest Military Hardware

Post by Nodack »

Trump's 'super duper missile' is super duper necessary
https://thehill.com/opinion/national-se ... -necessary
Regardless of delivery method, hypersonic weapons can accelerate several times faster than the speed of sound. Hypersonic missiles can maneuver for thousands of miles in mere minutes, enabling them to defeat modern missile defense systems. Moreover, hypersonic missiles can be launched from land-based mobile rocket launchers or fighter aircraft, can carry conventional or nuclear warheads, and maintain precision strike accuracy of 10 to 20 meters (though Russia claims within one meter).

So why are hypersonics all the rage in the era of renewed great power competition with Russia and China? Put simply, because the United States cannot defend against them. Russia knows this U.S. vulnerability and continues to strengthen its military position by deploying hypersonic weapons in the Arctic, a northern avenue of approach to the U.S. homeland. In December 2019, Russia confirmed the deployment of the hypersonic Kinzhal (Russian for “dagger”) air-launched ballistic missile.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Closer and closer to mutual destruction.

Cap

Post by Cap »

So many ways to end the world. Pandemic, nuclear war, climate change-induced famine, or just God finally saying “Fuck this shit, I’m starting over.”

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:14 am
So many ways to end the world. Pandemic, nuclear war, climate change-induced famine, or just God finally saying “Fuck this shit, I’m starting over.”
A second term for Trump would put God over the edge.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
He's done it before, so...
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:36 am
Cap wrote:
Is this now a political forum?

Do you guys think that the military advertises their latest stuff and that they don't have things much better waiting in the wings?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:41 pm
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:

Do you guys think that the military advertises their latest stuff and that they don't have things much better waiting in the wings?
My bad. Or religious for that matter. Everything starts to run together in quarantine land.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:02 pm
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:

My bad. Or religious for that matter. Everything starts to run together in quarantine land.
It's fine. I'm not a moderator. :lol:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:42 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:

It doesn’t matter. You’re right. This wasn’t the place for my snarky comment. I did not think it through.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:53 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:42 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:

It doesn’t matter. You’re right. This wasn’t the place for my snarky comment. I did not think it through.
I wouldn't respond in the Politics folder. It's not a place for everyone. ;)

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:38 pm
Cap wrote:
You must mean the Toba catastrophe.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:28 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:38 pm
Cap wrote:
You must mean the Toba catastrophe.
LOL, no. You made me look that up. I had no idea.

As far as another factor for climate change-induced famine...https://mobygeek.com/features/sun-lockd ... 2020-13576

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:

We hear about the latest stuff. For one thing, it would be impossible to keep that stuff a secret in a world with satellites and cell phones. Beyond that, deterrent weapons work better when everyone knows you have them. The secret is in how those things are made and supported. That's under wraps.

What's not advertised is stuff on the intel side. There is a digital war going on that we don't hear much about. Obvs, the virus that targeted the Iranian nuclear program is the most famous example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

If it’s in the works DARPA is doing it.
https://www.darpa.mil/our-research

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Not the latest military hardware but new. Electric vehicles are getting more and more popular but, nobody has a pickup yet. Tesla kind of took the electric car market by storm and now there is a company Lordstown wants to be the first to make electric pick up trucks.

https://lordstownmotors.com/pages/endurance

Detroit Three have a new competitor in the electric pickup war — it's called Endurance
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 257797002/

It is a lightweight, all-wheel-drive vehicle. Four in-wheel computerized motors propel it. If a front right in-wheel motor malfunctions, the front left wheel's motor will turn off automatically, allowing the driver to get home using rear-wheel drive, Burns said.

"So a typical gasoline drive-train has well over 1,000 parts. When you look at it that way, it’s very prehistoric, it’s essentially a Model T," Burns said. "We have four moving parts. It looks like a pickup truck on the outside, but underneath it’s electric vehicle 2.0.”

And with no engine in the front, pickup drivers finally have what Burns calls, "a frunk — a front trunk."

Typically, when a pickup's bed is empty, it doesn’t drive well because the engine is in the front and the weight is there, Burns said. In the case of the Endurance, the center of gravity is low and the in-wheel motors put weight on the four corners.

This is a car without a gear, without a transmission and a drive axle, so there is nothing down the middle of the car. The only four moving parts are the wheels," Burns said. "The result is the software that’s driving that and the suspension that’s driving it means you get a pickup that drives like a sports car.”

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Only 4 moving parts might be a tad bit of an exaggeration.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:11 pm
Not the latest military hardware but new. Electric vehicles are getting more and more popular but, nobody has a pickup yet. Tesla kind of took the electric car market by storm and now there is a company Lordstown wants to be the first to make electric pick up trucks.

https://lordstownmotors.com/pages/endurance

Detroit Three have a new competitor in the electric pickup war — it's called Endurance
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 257797002/

It is a lightweight, all-wheel-drive vehicle. Four in-wheel computerized motors propel it. If a front right in-wheel motor malfunctions, the front left wheel's motor will turn off automatically, allowing the driver to get home using rear-wheel drive, Burns said.

"So a typical gasoline drive-train has well over 1,000 parts. When you look at it that way, it’s very prehistoric, it’s essentially a Model T," Burns said. "We have four moving parts. It looks like a pickup truck on the outside, but underneath it’s electric vehicle 2.0.”

And with no engine in the front, pickup drivers finally have what Burns calls, "a frunk — a front trunk."

Typically, when a pickup's bed is empty, it doesn’t drive well because the engine is in the front and the weight is there, Burns said. In the case of the Endurance, the center of gravity is low and the in-wheel motors put weight on the four corners.

This is a car without a gear, without a transmission and a drive axle, so there is nothing down the middle of the car. The only four moving parts are the wheels," Burns said. "The result is the software that’s driving that and the suspension that’s driving it means you get a pickup that drives like a sports car.”
This company has been taking pre-orders for a while.
https://rivian.com/

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Army builds new 18.6-mile-range tank-killing weapon
https://www.foxnews.com/tech/army-build ... ing-weapon

What if a Russian armored vehicle column were approaching for attack, maneuvering between mountains about 15km (16.84 miles) away as they came forward? At the same time, the U.S. Army sees the approaching force with surveillance drones but has no armed air support.

Large rockets like the Army’s Guided Multiple Launch Rocket System, a GPS guided weapon able to hit targets out to 70km (43.5 miles), might cause too large of an explosion given that the enemy force is moving through populated urban areas. A smaller, long-range armor-penetrating weapon might be needed — a tank killer with more range than a TOW (Tube-launched, Optically Tracked, Wire Guided) or Javelin missile.

With this kind of scenario in mind, the U.S. Army and Raytheon are working on a newly configured tank-killing “Shaped Charge” 155m precision-guided artillery round as part of a large-scale strategic attempt to outrange enemies and destroy approaching enemy armored columns at safer standoff ranges.

The new weapon represents an exponential leap beyond existing state-of-the-art anti-tank weapons such as the TOW and Javelin missiles; the Javelin reaches ranges up to 2.5 miles and the TOW missile can hit targets out to 3,000 meters (9,842.5 feet). The Excalibur “shaped charge” brings an entirely new anti-tank weapon, able to reach as far as 30km (18.64 miles). Senior Army weapons developers explain that extending ground-war attack ranges changes some of the traditional elements of Combined Arms Maneuver strategy.

“Combined Arms allows us to close with and destroy an enemy. It requires armor, infantry and combat aviation to work together in a synchronized fashion. If we lose this synchronization we are far less lethal. If an enemy has range, he can separate the combined arms team. Our adversaries have watched us and learned how we fight. They have invested in areas to offset our advantage,” Brig. Gen. John Rafferty, director, Long Range Precision Fires Cross Functional Team, Army Futures Command, told me in an interview.

Boom: The Army Just Invented a Newer, Deadlier Artillery Round
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/ ... und-126807
(Washington, D.C.) The Army Research Laboratory is now engineering new rocket, missile and artillery rounds able to destroy groups of mobile enemy fighters, incinerate armored vehicles and eliminate structures with a single munition -- at all much longer ranges than currently deployed weapons can fire.

“Additive manufacturing (3D printing) can take weight out of certain components, create complex geometries inside things and create complex fragmentation patterns,”

The fragmentation pattern emerging from explosive effects performs essential attack functions as it can determine the kind of impact a weapon has. A wider-spanning, or more dispersed release of fragments might be more effective against groups of enemy fighters, whereas more narrowly released fragments might prove more effective against fixed structures or enemy armored vehicles.

“Right now if you have a fragmentation casing, you kind of get what you get. When it blows up you get a certain range, and a lot of the fragments aren’t useful. We want to be able to control that so lethality is increased,” McWilliams said.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Largest all-electric aircraft to make maiden flight
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Nodack wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:12 pm
Largest all-electric aircraft to make maiden flight
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html
Would be a game changer. Wonder if they should go with a flying wing configuration with pusher propellers.