Tech That Is New

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
jonh

Re: Latest Military Hardware

Post by jonh »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:28 am
I call you when they put them on sharks. 😎
What about ill-tempered sea bass?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It didn’t poll well with audiences.

Remember Star Wars? Remember Ronald Reagans Star Wars bluff? It looks like it may actually come true. War starts and you shoot down all your enemies satellites from your own satellites making the enemy blind. We thought the “space force” was a joke. It’s not going to be.

SPECIAL REPORT: The Pentagon Could Put Directed Energy Weapons in Space
https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org ... s-in-space

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I was reading the thread where Booker and Ayton won the NBA2K thing and talking about video games being so popular and thought about another sport, flying drone racing. Those are amazing to watch and it makes me think of the future of warfare and it’s a little scary. We all dream of flying and drones are cool but what about a larger drone capable of carrying a man?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

This definitely looks like the closest thing to a flying car I have seen. Is this the future? They talk for most of the video. Skip to the last section for a flying demonstration with a human passenger.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

People have been dreaming of a personal manned flying vehicle of their own since the Jetsons cartoon first came out and this is the closest thing I have seen to making that a reality. I can’t believe none of you would find this interesting at all. It does forward rolls, backward rolls, sideways rolls at the drop of a hat. I find this really exciting and feel like I am seeing the future of personal air travel become reality. I put this in my military hardware thread only because I didn’t want to make a new thread. This could be used by the military but, it certainly would have civilian use for sure.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It's not the time, Nodack! :D Plus, I don't want somebody controlling my flight from the ground like I'm their personal ant. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:22 am
It's not the time, Nodack! :D Plus, I don't want somebody controlling my flight from the ground like I'm their personal ant. ;)
Ha, that last part is what freaked me out.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:46 am
People have been dreaming of a personal manned flying vehicle of their own since the Jetsons cartoon first came out and this is the closest thing I have seen to making that a reality.
Ultralights have been around almost as long as the Jetsons.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:22 am
I have a feeling they are smart enough to place those controls inside the cockpit at some point.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Cap wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:12 pm
Nodack wrote:
People have been dreaming of a personal manned flying vehicle of their own since the Jetsons cartoon first came out and this is the closest thing I have seen to making that a reality.
Ultralights are single engine airplanes stripped down to the barest of essentials. They barely fly and are death traps. Their top speed is 63 mph. Nobody is doing flips and rolls in them or taking off from a standstill like a helicopter. This craft is ultralight years ahead of them in every way. The drone showed had 12 rotors. Lose one and you have 11 more. In the ultralight, you lose one engine and you are going to have a really bad day.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:32 am
Cap wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Ultralights are single engine airplanes stripped down to the barest of essentials. They barely fly and are death traps. Their top speed is 63 mph. Nobody is doing flips and rolls in them or taking off from a standstill like a helicopter. This craft is ultralight years ahead of them in every way. The drone showed had 12 rotors. Lose one and you have 11 more. In the ultralight, you lose one engine and you are going to have a really bad day.
8-)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:32 am
Cap wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Just what we need... a bunch of commuters doing flips and rolls. :P
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I would be fine with it being just me that has one.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Next up stealth bombers. We were SO lucky to escape Germany in WWII. If Hitler wasn’t such a greedy dumbazz Germany might have ruled the world for a long time. His super smart people were creating stuff many decades ahead of everybody else. Their Blitzkrieg offensive style of overwhelming their opponents withy fast mobile armor and tanks backed up by a lethal Luftwaffe air force took Europe by surprise. Their Tiger tanks were the best by far. We were like "What?". At the end of WWII Germany came out with the V2, an intercontinental guided ballistic rocket that replaced the V1, that haunted England, that wasn't very guided at all. We were like “What?” They came out with jet fighters near the end that ran circles around any of our prop planes. We were like "What?" They were only able to bring a few of these new super weapons to the battle field before being overrun, which was good for everyone else on the planet. We captured some of Germany’s top engineers like Werner von Braun who basically was the guy who made the Apollo program possible. Germany also came out with a new concept for a bomber, the Horton Ho 229 flying wing. The first bomber with jet engines. Not many were made but, once again, way ahead of their time, 1944.

Once again the US captured this technology and in 1997 comes out with the B2 Bomber.

China, not to be undone, has announced the H-20. It must be a watered down version of the B2. :lol: They might have two by 2025. If I was a betting man, I would bet that 99% of their stealth bomber came from the B2. It must be a complete coincidence I'm sure.

Once again I want to say how lucky I think we all were that Germany wasn't able to mass produce all these weapons that were clearly WAY ahead of everyone else.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Not very interesting?

Ok, how about solar panels in space beaming invisible microwave power back to earth or powering drones keeping them airborne 24/7?

X-37B Space Plane's Microwave Power Beam Experiment Is A Way Bigger Deal Than It Seems
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... n-it-seems

This system has enormous implications when it comes to long-endurance unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). In addition, it could allow satellites to provide reliable power anywhere on the planet or even to spacecraft or other satellites in orbit.

In October 2019, the NRL conducted a three-day long demonstration of the Navy’s latest power-beaming capabilities at the Naval Surface Warfare Center in Bethesda, Maryland. In the demonstration, the NRL transmitted a completely silent, invisible beam of 2-kilowatt laser power over 300 meters through the air over attendees' heads. The demonstration was meant to showcase the safety and technological readiness of this utterly transformative concept.

As far as the aforementioned applications of this capability, research or military outposts in remote locations would no longer have to rely on low-power solar systems or haul heavy generators and large amounts of fuel, but instead could bring a rectifying antenna, or rectenna, to capture energy in the form of microwaves beamed from satellites overhead. In addition, areas ravaged by natural disasters could use the system to generate electricity to aid in reconstruction efforts long before traditional electrical infrastructure is rebuilt. It could even power autonomous ships at sea.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I was just reading about the X37 a few days ago as it's preparing to launch again. It stays in orbit longer and longer each time. There's been a lot of mystery surrounding and what it's been doing up there so it's fascinating to read what it's up to. There's also this:

It's been spotted at relatively low altitudes – less than 200 miles, according to some, lower than the International Space Station – which experts have said may mean the US is looking at moving spy satellites to lower orbits, where they could take sharper photos but would need more fuel to manoeuvre.

I was surprised at how small the aircraft is, seems no bigger than minivan or school bus.

Indy

Post by Indy »

these are all very interesting 'dack. I just don't have much to add to the conversation. Would appreciate you keep posting them, though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:41 am
these are all very interesting 'dack. I just don't have much to add to the conversation. Would appreciate you keep posting them, though.
Agreed. Just because we don't always respond doesn't mean we don't read them. This is stuff I wouldn't normally come across on my own.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Alrighty then!

DARPA!!!

A list of what they are working on.

https://www.darpa.mil/our-research

Plants as sensors.
The Advanced Plant Technologies (APT) program seeks to develop plants capable of serving as next-generation, persistent, ground-based sensor technologies to protect deployed troops and the homeland by detecting and reporting on chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosive (CBRNE) threats. Such biological sensors would be effectively energy-independent, increasing their potential for wide distribution, while reducing risks associated with deployment and maintenance of traditional sensors. These technologies could also potentially support humanitarian operations by, for example, detecting unexploded ordnance in post-conflict settings.

Preventing Viruses
United States military forces deploy to remote locations around the world, often in areas where emerging infectious diseases are common. The PREventing EMerging Pathogenic Threats (PREEMPT) program seeks to preserve military readiness by protecting against the infectious disease threat; however, rather than treating people, PREEMPT targets viral pathogens within the animal reservoirs and insect vectors where many diseases originate before they spill over into humans. The program combines biosurveillance and modeling with novel technologies for treating or containing high-risk pathogens at their source to prevent the emergence and reemergence of human-pathogenic threats.

PREEMPT builds on recent advances in understanding of host-pathogen genetic interactions and mechanisms of adaptation across species, emerging analytic tools to predict what species might carry potential human-pathogens, and novel capabilities to predict geographic “hot spots” where an animal-to-human viral jump is likely. By focusing far-forward biosurveillance on animal reservoirs and insect vectors, and applying high-throughput molecular technologies and next-generation sequencing to determine how viruses evolve within a species, PREEMPT seeks to identify opportunities for intervention that exploit the evolutionary bottlenecks and transmission factors that enable pathogen species jump.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It’s like looking into the future reading about this stuff. They just started charging cell phones without wires right? They are talking about powering drones and makeshift power plants etc. from space beaming microwave power. If they can do that they can power anything from space. If they can do that they have millions of miles of space in space for solar panels enough to power the world and nobody would even see them. I suspect solar panels will be old school before too long and they would be able to make harvesting solar power even more efficient in the future. They beamed it right over people’s heads already safely. You could beam it to a central safe location or locations around the world where it’s distributed. Maybe it’s just all around and your phone just automatically stays charged. Maybe you don‘t even need batteries anymore. Worry about power when the Sun is down? The Sun is always up somewhere. Imagine a collective of countries that finance the WPG World Power Grid. I just made that up. We all share power across the globe. Our self driving vehicles don’t need to fuel up ever. Take a cross country road trip In an RV and sleep in the back whenever you get tired while your vehicle continues. Stop when you need to pee, not when you are running low on fuel. Oh wait, you have a bathroom on board. No need to stop at all. Your super quiet electric RV will make the trip in half the time it normally would since you don’t need to stop ever and no need for a hotel unless you want. Sorry truckers, we won’t be needing you services anymore. Our trucks need no fuel, self load, self drive across the country and self unload without the need a person. Those cargo ships going back and forth between China and the US need a lot of fuel. Not anymore. And since expensive fuel is a thing of the past perhaps large electric cargo planes could be more efficient than slow moving cargo ships.