Cardinals

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
In2ition

Re: Cardinals

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:16 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:45 am
I think he probably would have done better if he had the recruiting classes that Oregon has had over the years. No?
I can’t say for sure that he’d have done better, but recruiting is the most important aspect of college sports. He clearly didn’t perform well at that part of his job.

He was 22-40 against FBS competition at TT. That’s pretty damn bad for a public university in Texas.
Where does TT fall in the hierarchy of Texas football in the eyes of recruits? We know for sure that A&M, UT, OU, Baylor, TCU, LSU, and Houston(in some cases), ect are all above TT. Recruiting isn't coaching, even though it's probably the most important aspect of college football.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It doesn’t really matter where TT falls in the hierarchy of Texas football. A good coach can win (or at least go .500) at any school in that region.

Recruiting is the epitome of head coaching. It’s convincing a player that a coach knows what he’s doing and can win games. It’s the same thing in the NFL, it’s just colored differently.

Failed at a mid-level FBS school —> head coach in the NFL?

Looking at it objectively, it doesn’t make sense. My expectations are very low.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Our staff looked great on paper last season. I recall during training camp all of the local radio guys gushing about how it's the best group of coaches they've been around since the Cardinals came to Arizona.

Low expectations or not, none of it matters, based on last season.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

So Kyler Murray announces he’s all in on football. I’m not sure I’d take him #1, but I’d definitely think about trading down and picking him along with additional assets. I get that we took Rosen last year, but he wasn’t exactly good last year. Even if we plan to keep Rosen, I think we could get creative with how we use Murray. The saints use Taysom hill effectively and I think Murray could be even more useful.

I’d especially be willing to pursue this if we could get a good return from trading Rosen. In fact, I’d just take him 1st if we could get a good deal for Rosen.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Idk how I feel about Murray. He makes Russell Wilson look like big dude. I'm not totally opposed to it, but trading down seems like the best option for the Cards, imo. They need a lot and still might be able to get a good return and fill more holes.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Admittedly I’m not any good at evaluating football talent. I want the cardinals to be exciting. They brought in an innovative offensive coach. Kyler Murray allows you to get very creative. He’s a special athlete who happens to have an impressive arm. He’s small, but that won’t be as big of a deal in a non traditional offense. We’ll see what happens I guess.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Barf. You can't judge Rosen based on last season. It was literally "just survive". A pretty terrible situation to throw him into. Terrible play calling, 3rd and 4th string offensive lineman across the board, constantly getting killed and sacked. 1.5 WRs most of the season. Thank God the kid didn't tear an ACL or suffer multiple concussions.

Let him try out this new system with a real offensive mind and a starting offensive line + another stud WR. If it doesn't work out, next year has a much deeper and talented QB pool coming into the NFL. I wouldn't give up on him based on a crummy situation for anyone for a tweener QB.

Name as many QBs as you can close to Murray's size that have had great careers in the NFL that run around regularly. Name as many QBs as you can that are prototypical size pocket passers that have had great careers in the NFL? You'll struggle with one to come up with more than 5 and you'll struggle to find enough space for the other. He had a great college season and won the Heisman but there was nothing historic about what he produced that tells me "get rid of Rosen after one season in a bad situation for a small (generous) mobile QB hoping he is more Doug Flutie than Manziel". That's a BIG gamble.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Teams can't take a risk like Murray with the #1 pick.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Murray measured out pretty good at the combine...just a touch over 5’10 and 207 pounds. I’m not a diehard cards fan and because of that I’m willing to be more risky, but drafting a guy like Murray would really intrigue me. I heard someone propose moving Rosen to Pitt in a trade for Antonio Brown. Then draft Murray.

Murray, DJ, Fitz, and Brown would be fun. Then use the rest of the draft and free agency to fix the Oline and fill holes on defense.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:39 am
Murray measured out pretty good at the combine...just a touch over 5’10 and 207 pounds. I’m not a diehard cards fan and because of that I’m willing to be more risky, but drafting a guy like Murray would really intrigue me. I heard someone propose moving Rosen to Pitt in a trade for Antonio Brown. Then draft Murray.

Murray, DJ, Fitz, and Brown would be fun. Then use the rest of the draft and free agency to fix the Oline and fill holes on defense.
I'm not opposed to this.

Split T

Post by Split T »

So today’s the draft...I’m still hoping we go Murray. My 2nd choice would be trade down for a pile of picks. I’m sure Bosa will be good, but I don’t look at him and see can’t miss prospect.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:22 am
So today’s the draft...I’m still hoping we go Murray. My 2nd choice would be trade down for a pile of picks. I’m sure Bosa will be good, but I don’t look at him and see can’t miss prospect.
I think I'm in the same boat here. I feel like the possibility that Murray is a high impact type of player in the Kingsbury offense could be higher and more impactful than Rosen could be or adding another defensive end could be, and with the fact that this particular draft is supposedly extra deep with these type of defensive players, you could conceivable get an impact improvement on both sides of the ball with a good trade of Rosen.

This seems like a long-winded description for my reasoning.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, I think Murray could be really good. I also think, at worst, he’s an exciting player. I’m not a die hard cards fan, so I’ll take having a fun exciting team with potential to be really good.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:49 am
Ya, I think Murray could be really good. I also think, at worst, he’s an exciting player. I’m not a die hard cards fan, so I’ll take having a fun exciting team with potential to be really good.
I'm a Cards fan, but I could only watch 1 half of one game total this entire past season. They were terrible and not fun to watch at all.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Some talk that Quinnen Williams is the pick

Split T

Post by Split T »

Kyler Murray it is!! I love it!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Big question now is what we get from Rosen

jonh

Post by jonh »

Not a fan of the pick at all. Such a McD approach--load up on a certain position and devalue the current player there before taking the pick. Rosen's value is going to only drop as the hours go by.

Split T

Post by Split T »

jonh wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:55 pm
Not a fan of the pick at all. Such a McD approach--load up on a certain position and devalue the current player there before taking the pick. Rosen's value is going to only drop as the hours go by.
Feel like sticking with Rosen simply because you spent a 1st on him last year is worse. Ideally we’d move Rosen before drafting Kyler, but teams are gonna wait until they see who’s available at their draft spots.

If Kyler Murray is your guy, you just take him. Get what you can for Rosen.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Is there any update on what they can get from Rosen?