Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Superbone »

I learned something today. Interesting.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:32 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:31 pm
Oh now you're an expert sauce...sheesh

j/k
:lol:
:mrgreen:

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:06 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:08 am
One study finds that, far from being useless, the covid lockdowns may have saved us from 60 million infections and countless lost lives. Berkeley's Global Policy Lab director says, "I don’t think any human endeavor has ever saved so many lives in such a short period of time."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... udy-finds/
Important quote from the article:
Jennifer Nuzzo, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health’s Center for Health Security, said in an email that these new reports show the effectiveness of shutdowns. But she said the economic and social harms of these efforts are considerable, and so societies at this point need to transition to a more focused strategy built around testing, contact tracing and isolation of covid-19 patients.

Nuzzo, who was not involved in either of the two studies, added that the ultimate impact of the shutdowns depends on what happens next: “The lockdowns were a pause button, not a cure,” she said. “Any reduction in the occurrence of cases or deaths is temporary.”
You bolded and underlined the wrong part, so I went ahead a took care of that for you.

The only proven way to manage the virus or "flatten the curve" is to do exactly what Jennifer Nuzzo stated. I've lived through it first hand in South Korea.

Unfortunately, this requires unprecedented oversight by the federal government to become feasible and too many Americans distrust the government to have access to such sophisticated tracking and tracing data. So the US is stuck in limbo between extended shutdowns that damage the economy and simple best practices that are ignored by at least half of the country leading to massive outbreaks.

Too many Americans are willing to put all of their eggs in the vaccine and herd immunity baskets without any clue as to how long either of those will take to be effective.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:09 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
One study finds that, far from being useless, the covid lockdowns may have saved us from 60 million infections and countless lost lives. Berkeley's Global Policy Lab director says, "I don’t think any human endeavor has ever saved so many lives in such a short period of time."

Jennifer Nuzzo, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health’s Center for Health Security, said in an email that these new reports show the effectiveness of shutdowns. But she said the economic and social harms of these efforts are considerable, and so societies at this point need to transition to a more focused strategy built around testing, contact tracing and isolation of covid-19 patients.

Nuzzo, who was not involved in either of the two studies, added that the ultimate impact of the shutdowns depends on what happens next: “The lockdowns were a pause button, not a cure,” she said. “Any reduction in the occurrence of cases or deaths is temporary.”
You bolded and underlined the wrong part, so I went ahead a took care of that for you.

The only proven way to manage the virus or "flatten the curve" is to do exactly what Jennifer Nuzzo stated. I've lived through it first hand in South Korea.

Unfortunately, this requires unprecedented oversight by the federal government to become feasible and too many Americans distrust the government to have access to such sophisticated tracking and tracing data. So the US is stuck in limbo between extended shutdowns that damage the economy and simple best practices that are ignored by at least half of the country leading to massive outbreaks.

Too many Americans are willing to put all of their eggs in the vaccine and herd immunity baskets without any clue as to how long either of those will take to be effective.
Ding ding ding.

Hit the nail on the head.

Them: we’re up in arms about government shutdowns!!

Medical field: Okay, how else can we prevent overwhelming the healthcare system? Easy. We can perform contact tracing so we can isolate and quarantine those who have been infected and those that have been exposed. It’ll require us to be able to gather data about your whereabouts and your social circle.

Them: ah hell no, America, liberties and shit! How else?

Medical field: okay......well, then at least wear masks in public, avoid large gatherings, keep 6 feet when unable to wear masks. This will slow the spread, protect the vulnerable, and keep hospital resources available long-term.

Them: Ah hell no! My friends cousins sisters brother showed me a YouTube video they said masks were a liberal plan to infect us all! The Carton Dioxites you breathe in are bad for your breathey things and the vyruss it just magically appears inside the mask and gets into the radiator next to your heart!

Medical field: .....

Medical field: so we’ll see you at the next inevitable shutdown then.

Them: Hell yeah let’s hit the bars and drink it up!! A
They said alcohol can kill the vyruss, they didn’t say what kind or how to take it!!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:32 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Ding ding ding.

Medical field: Okay, how else can we prevent overwhelming the healthcare system? Easy. We can perform contact tracing so we can isolate and quarantine those who have been infected and those that have been exposed. It’ll require us to be able to gather data about your whereabouts and your social circle.

Medical field: okay......well, then at least wear masks in public, avoid large gatherings, keep 6 feet when unable to wear masks. This will slow the spread, protect the vulnerable, and keep hospital resources available long-term.

Them: Ah hell no! My friends cousins sisters brother showed me a YouTube video they said masks were a liberal plan to infect us all! The Carton Dioxites you breathe in are bad for your breathey things and the vyruss it just magically appears inside the mask and gets into the radiator next to your heart!

They said alcohol can kill the vyruss, they didn’t say what kind or how to take it!!
I feel like that may actually be a real conversation that happened and you were only protecting the identities of those involved.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:59 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:32 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Ding ding ding.

I feel like that may actually be a real conversation that happened and you were only protecting the identities of those involved.
Lol. It is a battle my colleagues and I are constantly fighting right now. At a local level, state level, national level. I’ve had several friends on local and national news trying to educate the public that if they want to avoid a shut down (in best interest of everyone) they have to make a sacrifice.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I was just in Lowes with my mask. All the employees had masks. I saw one other customer with a mask.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I will stick with what Dr. Fauci himself said about masks back in March:
There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences — people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.
He was right (until the CDC reversed course and he had to change his tune). And yet we have this idiot from the U of A, in the video below, who wants mask wearing to be mandated when going to a restaurant...and what will that result in? In order to eat, everyone would have to keep moving their mask, breaking one of the most important rules for wearing a mask (don’t touch it!)!

Even mask-proponent Dr. Brian Lamb admitted to CBS Pittsburgh:
The heat and humidity build up in your mask and make a beautiful breeding ground for bacteria
The same article also discusses other dangers of wearing masks in the summer heat: https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/06 ... k-wearing/

Non-N95 masks filter down to 0.2 microns at best. Viruses (including SARS-CoV-2) are about 0.1 microns.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Here is a powerful exposé by a whistleblower nurse from the frontlines about what has been going on in a public hospital in NYC, where many people have been murdered:

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The last couple of pages of this thread belong in the politics folder.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:16 am
Here is a powerful exposé by a whistleblower nurse from the frontlines about what has been going on in a public hospital in NYC, where many people have been murdered:

Wow, this is quite damning. It makes it sound like many in charge and higher ups of the hospital are racist and knowingly trying to kill them.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:08 am
JeremyG wrote:

Wow, this is quite damning. It makes it sound like many in charge and higher ups of the hospital are racist and knowingly trying to kill them.
Again, sharing bullshit that you don’t know anything about. You really think there’s a worldwide conspiracy by doctors to kill people and make money? You think that level of coordination is possible?

You guys are clueless.

There are pathognomonic CT scan findings that Covid presents with that are not seen in any other illnesses. Patchy opacities bilaterally in a peripheral distribution is just a slam dunk finding. When the virus has entered the pulmonary phase and is no longer present in the nasopharynx, the swab is useless. They will test negative over and over again. The pathognomonic CT finding obviates the need for a positive NP swab.

But you wouldn’t know that. Neither would that nurse. That’s why that nurse should stick to nursing, and let the doctor be the doctor. We’re both good at what we do, and terrible outside our scope. I couldn’t be a nurse. They can’t be a doctor.

And yeah, we’re intubating people and placing them on a vent for anxiety. Sure. Lmao.

You realize intubation is the highest risk procedure for contracting COVID for healthcare workers. For the $50 I get for intubating someone, I’m going to risk my family’s life. You got it!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:25 am
There’s nothing political about coronavirus. It’s a medical illness. Any attempt to make this a partisan issue is a distraction and division attempt.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:28 am
In2ition wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Again, sharing bullshit that you don’t know anything about. You really think there’s a worldwide conspiracy by doctors to kill people and make money? You think that level of coordination is possible?

You guys are clueless.

There are pathognomonic CT scan findings that Covid presents with that are not seen in any other illnesses. Patchy opacities bilaterally in a peripheral distribution is just a slam dunk finding. When the virus has entered the pulmonary phase and is no longer present in the nasopharynx, the swab is useless. They will test negative over and over again. The pathognomonic CT finding obviates the need for a positive NP swab.

But you wouldn’t know that. Neither would that nurse. That’s why that nurse should stick to nursing, and let the doctor be the doctor. We’re both good at what we do, and terrible outside our scope. I couldn’t be a nurse. They can’t be a doctor.

And yeah, we’re intubating people and placing them on a vent for anxiety. Sure. Lmao.

You realize intubation is the highest risk procedure for contracting COVID for healthcare workers. For the $50 I get for intubating someone, I’m going to risk my family’s life. You got it!
I'm not sure how many times JeremyG, NOT A DOCTOR, I'LL REMIND EVERYONE, is going to continue to try and stick to his guns and argue with a DOCTOR on here that is seeing the situation first hand. But hey, he saw an article and watched a YouTube video that jives with his views.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:07 am
I will stick with what Dr. Fauci himself said about masks back in March:
There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences — people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.
He was right (until the CDC reversed course and he had to change his tune). And yet we have this idiot from the U of A, in the video below, who wants mask wearing to be mandated when going to a restaurant...and what will that result in? In order to eat, everyone would have to keep moving their mask, breaking one of the most important rules for wearing a mask (don’t touch it!)!

Even mask-proponent Dr. Brian Lamb admitted to CBS Pittsburgh:
The heat and humidity build up in your mask and make a beautiful breeding ground for bacteria
The same article also discusses other dangers of wearing masks in the summer heat: https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/06 ... k-wearing/

Non-N95 masks filter down to 0.2 microns at best. Viruses (including SARS-CoV-2) are about 0.1 microns.
Although, those numbers are accurate, it isn't helpful. The virus is not a single virus floating around in nothing just squeezing through the mask. It is attached/embedded in other carriers like water/mucus.

And the comment you had about re-breathing in CO2 just isn't accurate either. A CO2 molecule is 0.00065 microns. You bound together 1000 of them in a single molecule and it would still fly through a N95 mask with no issue. How do you think surgeons can spend 12 hours in the same mask doing a single surgery and not have issues with it?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:59 am
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

You guys are clueless.

I'm not sure how many times JeremyG, NOT A DOCTOR, I'LL REMIND EVERYONE, is going to continue to try and stick to his guns and argue with a DOCTOR on here that is seeing the situation first hand. But hey, he saw an article and watched a YouTube video that jives with his views.
Here is the problem. Myself personally, is not questioning what sauce is saying in his own experience. I'm also not questioning his morals, intentions, motives, experience or expertise. Specialsauce, I think you're a good dude and have no reason to question you. What JeremyG presented was experience from other DOCTORS and NURSES that are on the front lines, and in some cases more so that any hospitals in AZ. We should believe that all other DOCTORS and NURSES that report different experiences to what Sauce is reporting should be discarded as bs and made up? Is that what you're saying AIG?

I have a friend that is a nurse that works in the ER that says that their hospital in Phoenix is not even close to capacity or overrun, like is being reported by ABC15 and then passed on by multiple national media people, including Rachel Maddow. Not only that, but they asked their own friends that work in other hospitals around the valley and they are saying the same thing, but that doesn't mean I don't believe what Sauce is saying. I'm sure he's seeing some nasty sh!t in regards to the virus. Should I disregard my own friend's first hand experience too?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:35 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:25 am
There’s nothing political about coronavirus. It’s a medical illness. Any attempt to make this a partisan issue is a distraction and division attempt.
JeremyG's take is almost entirely political. The govt is lying and hospitals are killing people, etc doesn't belong here.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

A friend of ours is a head nurse at a Banner in Mesa and she said they were preparing another floor of the hospital to handle all the overflow Covid cases.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
That's what I was going to say! Took the words right out of my mouth. :P
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:24 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:59 am
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

You guys are clueless.

Here is the problem. Myself personally, is not questioning what sauce is saying in his own experience. I'm also not questioning his morals, intentions, motives, experience or expertise. Specialsauce, I think you're a good dude and have no reason to question you. What JeremyG presented was experience from other DOCTORS and NURSES that are on the front lines, and in some cases more so that any hospitals in AZ. We should believe that all other DOCTORS and NURSES that report different experiences to what Sauce is reporting should be discarded as bs and made up? Is that what you're saying AIG?

I have a friend that is a nurse that works in the ER that says that their hospital in Phoenix is not even close to capacity or overrun, like is being reported by ABC15 and then passed on by multiple national media people, including Rachel Maddow. Not only that, but they asked their own friends that work in other hospitals around the valley and they are saying the same thing, but that doesn't mean I don't believe what Sauce is saying. I'm sure he's seeing some nasty sh!t in regards to the virus. Should I disregard my own friend's first hand experience too?
I think it likely depends on the hospital. Maybe your friend that is a nurse works for a hospital with a lower number of patients. That doesn't make the situation overblown. Even one or two major hospitals being bombarded and overrun is too many.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton