Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
3rdside

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by 3rdside »

Then there are these charts which are interesting:

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Swedish COVID-19 Response Is a Disaster. It Shouldn’t Be a Model for the Rest of the World
https://time.com/5899432/sweden-coronovirus-disaster/

In one case which seems representative of how seniors were treated, patient Reza Sedghi was not seen by a doctor the day he died from COVID-19 at a care home in Stockholm. A nurse told Sedghi’s daughter Lili Perspolisi that her father was given a shot of morphine before he passed away, that no oxygen was administered and staff did not call an ambulance. “No one was there and he died alone,” Perspolisi says.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:18 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:23 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:24 pm
Alright all the legal and medical experts, tear this apart.
I’m no longer interested in debunking these idiots who have no training and really no business speaking on Covid compared to any other non-believer who wants to live irresponsibly the way they see fit, others be damned. Realize these losers have no legitimate credentials. No medical directors of emergency departments, chiefs of staff, etc. Not a leader of the frontlines amongst them, just a clown show.

I’m simply rooting for Nov 3rd to bring about change and to get all these people to shut the fuck up and fall in line knowing their furor has fallen. That’s all.

This election is not political to me. It’s personal. I am not pro-Biden, simply anti-asshole who has made my life the last 8 months incredibly more challenging than it needed to be.

I’ll have to pay more in taxes. Democrats are puppets of attorneys which means any chance of tort reform is likely gone for at least 4 more years. I worry Biden will sell into slashing physician reimbursement as a means of lowering healthcare costs (a drop in a bucket while insurance companies and healthcare conglomerates make billions). I don’t care. I just need this buffoon out.
Idk how the election will go. Most indicators say Biden, but there have been a few leaning Trump recently. I can understand your frustration. I wish something could be done about tort reform when it comes to suing doctors, insurance company charges and pharmaceutical prices.

On a side note(this wasn't in the video btw), is it possible that masks could cause a spike in bacterial pneumonia cases?
No. Sounds like you’ve been watching too many YouTube videos in2 (sorry- you’re my guy but you got to stop following some of these looney tunes sources) You have to understand wearing masks in the medical field and industrial fields are not new. Staff in OR wear masks for 12+ hours straight. There has never been any indication to suggest they have caused harm.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:16 pm
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I’m no longer interested in debunking these idiots who have no training and really no business speaking on Covid compared to any other non-believer who wants to live irresponsibly the way they see fit, others be damned. Realize these losers have no legitimate credentials. No medical directors of emergency departments, chiefs of staff, etc. Not a leader of the frontlines amongst them, just a clown show.

I’m simply rooting for Nov 3rd to bring about change and to get all these people to shut the fuck up and fall in line knowing their furor has fallen. That’s all.

This election is not political to me. It’s personal. I am not pro-Biden, simply anti-asshole who has made my life the last 8 months incredibly more challenging than it needed to be.

I’ll have to pay more in taxes. Democrats are puppets of attorneys which means any chance of tort reform is likely gone for at least 4 more years. I worry Biden will sell into slashing physician reimbursement as a means of lowering healthcare costs (a drop in a bucket while insurance companies and healthcare conglomerates make billions). I don’t care. I just need this buffoon out.
Idk how the election will go. Most indicators say Biden, but there have been a few leaning Trump recently. I can understand your frustration. I wish something could be done about tort reform when it comes to suing doctors, insurance company charges and pharmaceutical prices.

On a side note(this wasn't in the video btw), is it possible that masks could cause a spike in bacterial pneumonia cases?
No. Sounds like you’ve been watching too many YouTube videos in2 (sorry- you’re my guy but you got to stop following some of these looney tunes sources) You have to understand wearing masks in the medical field and industrial fields are not new. Staff in OR wear masks for 12+ hours straight. There has never been any indication to suggest they have caused harm.
And not just in the health care field. I have worked on production floors in semiconductors, and worked the 12 shift regularly. We did have a break for lunch where we removed masks, but other than that we wore masks all day. Every day. I don't remember people being out sick for pneumonia. That would be a huge drain on the employer, and they would do something about it (or be sued).

I am sure you can find a story of someone that wore the same mask every single day and got it filthy and never washed it and got sick, though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I haven't been sick since this whole thing started. If any good can come out of this, people have learned how to be cleaner and there might be less sickness in general after we get past the worst days of the pandemic.
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:51 am
The Swedish COVID-19 Response Is a Disaster. It Shouldn’t Be a Model for the Rest of the World
https://time.com/5899432/sweden-coronovirus-disaster/

In one case which seems representative of how seniors were treated, patient Reza Sedghi was not seen by a doctor the day he died from COVID-19 at a care home in Stockholm. A nurse told Sedghi’s daughter Lili Perspolisi that her father was given a shot of morphine before he passed away, that no oxygen was administered and staff did not call an ambulance. “No one was there and he died alone,” Perspolisi says.
Could the dates make a difference?

Your article is two weeks ago, the charts were two days ago.

(And the ‘died alone’ comment reminded me of the Stalin quote; “one death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic” .. )

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:

LOL, perhaps(as far as the Youtube loonies). My question didn't really pertain to the medical fields or even semiconductor or construction industries, which has safeguards in place to make sure that the masks are sanitary all the time. I'm more thinking of the real world, where frankly some people are not quite as hygienic, and may use the same mask day after day, week after week without cleaning or sanitizing it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:50 pm
I haven't been sick since this whole thing started. If any good can come out of this, people have learned how to be cleaner and there might be less sickness in general after we get past the worst days of the pandemic.
That's good. Apparently, it's been shown that the reports of the Flu are down 98% this yr.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:46 pm
Superbone wrote:
That's good. Apparently, it's been shown that the reports of the Flu are down 98% this yr.
Wow! That's crazy. Sounds like COVID-19 has outmuscled the flu. Like, "Hey, hands off flu! I'm the new boss around here now!"
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:28 pm
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Wow! That's crazy. Sounds like COVID-19 has outmuscled the flu. Like, "Hey, hands off flu! I'm the new boss around here now!"
Covid is the Murder Hornet of viruses.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:20 pm
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:

LOL, perhaps(as far as the Youtube loonies). My question didn't really pertain to the medical fields or even semiconductor or construction industries, which has safeguards in place to make sure that the masks are sanitary all the time. I'm more thinking of the real world, where frankly some people are not quite as hygienic, and may use the same mask day after day, week after week without cleaning or sanitizing it.
I would expect more bronchitis and allergies from breathing in dust than a bacterial pneumonia happening from an actual pathogenic bacteria just spontaneously appearing in the mask.

That shouldn’t be a problem much anyway- not in Phoenix at least. Masks are readily available at just about any store you go to.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
It really should be a mild flu season with all the mask mandates at least in AZ

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:00 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:20 pm
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

I would expect more bronchitis and allergies from breathing in dust than a bacterial pneumonia happening from an actual pathogenic bacteria just spontaneously appearing in the mask.

That shouldn’t be a problem much anyway- not in Phoenix at least. Masks are readily available at just about any store you go to.
Thank you.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have been wearing surgical masks. They work fine but I wear hearing aids sometimes because I’m half deaf from 10,000 gigs and they are the kind that hang on the top of your ears. The masks pull my ears down and the hearing aid top portion just falls down making wearing hearing aids almost impossible. Also when I do gigs blue surgical masks look dumb. Most are wearing black masks to be sort of fashionable at gigs. I was just at Lowes and they have a whole section of Covid stuff near the entrance. Masks, disinfectants etc. I saw a black mask that velcro’s behind the head in a box and bought it. Turns out it is a mask with the air holes that allow moisture to escape thru one way valves, which if you have Covid allows your breath to escape to others making it a not so great Covid mask. Airlines will not let you on a plane with a mask like that. It makes me mad that they would put that in the Covid section when it is NOT a Covid approved mask.

My mother in law made us a couple of black masks that work fine but have the normal elastic that goes behind your ears that I hate. The new masks I bought uses velcro and came with an extra strip of two way velcro that my wife cut in half and sewed onto the elastic bands on her mothers masks and now it velcro’s together behind my head and not my ears. Problem solved.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:41 am
I have been wearing surgical masks. They work fine but I wear hearing aids sometimes because I’m half deaf from 10,000 gigs and they are the kind that hang on the top of your ears. The masks pull my ears down and the hearing aid top portion just falls down making wearing hearing aids almost impossible. Also when I do gigs blue surgical masks look dumb. Most are wearing black masks to be sort of fashionable at gigs. I was just at Lowes and they have a whole section of Covid stuff near the entrance. Masks, disinfectants etc. I saw a black mask that velcro’s behind the head in a box and bought it. Turns out it is a mask with the air holes that allow moisture to escape thru one way valves, which if you have Covid allows your breath to escape to others making it a not so great Covid mask. Airlines will not let you on a plane with a mask like that. It makes me mad that they would put that in the Covid section when it is NOT a Covid approved mask.

My mother in law made us a couple of black masks that work fine but have the normal elastic that goes behind your ears that I hate. The new masks I bought uses velcro and came with an extra strip of two way velcro that my wife cut in half and sewed onto the elastic bands on her mothers masks and now it velcro’s together behind my head and not my ears. Problem solved.
What about this kind of thing?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:

Hey Dack, if that new mask is anything like mine, that one-way valve can be popped out. You can just place a piece of fabric on the inside, or you could sew it on. But it does make it so much easier.

Also, I take a small length of paracord and loop it between the two sides of my masks so I don't slip it over my ears, and instead wrap it around my head. that works well, too.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:39 am
Nodack wrote:

What about this kind of thing?

Depending on the material, some of those have such large holes (comparatively) that it just splits up the water droplets into smaller droplets that travel further/stay aloft longer.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy

Post by Indy »

Anyone that thinks looking for scorpions in your backyard is what causes scorpions in your backyard either lying or extremely uneducated.