Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Nodack

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Nodack »

I took your bait In2ition.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:47 pm
I took your bait In2ition.
I honestly wasn't trying to bait you. I did see that, but was curious what everyone's perception of what was being reported on them. I had the same perception that they were doing horrible and that opening it up was a bad plan. I was honestly surprised by the graph on that. I honestly don't know what is really going on.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am not sure why a graph of all deaths for the first half of the year would be a good indicator of how a country is handling it. Wouldn't a comparison of cases and deaths per capita be a better comparison?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

As most of you probably know, I live in South Korea and the COVID situation here has been mostly positive by comparison to the US and some European countries. A lot of you probably don't know that I'm a high school teacher here and Korean students across the country returned to their schools about two months ago. Everything has been OK at schools for the most part, with a scattering of infections across the country.

Well, three students (so far) at my school came down with symptoms over the past 48 hours and myself and every staff member at the school, roughly 140 people, had a COVID test today. I don't have any symptoms and I didn't have direct contact with any of the confirmed students, so I'm not very worried. Coincidentally, tomorrow (Friday) is the first day of a 2 week summer vacation period, so the students have been instructed to receive a test at their local hospitals.

This whole situation at the school developed Wednesday afternoon and about 24 hours later there was a pop up testing site on my school campus. Everyone received the test, which usually costs 90,000KRW (~$75) for free and they tested the whole staff in roughly an hour. I was pretty impressed with the efficiency. As for the test itself, it's uncomfortable but not painful.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Keep us posted. But yes, eons ahead of the US's handling of the virus.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Only teachers and staff were at the school today and everyone was free to go home after receiving their test. There were a handful of news vans lined up on one of the school roads as I was driving out. :roll:

I'm glad I got out of their before my mug had a chance of appearing in the media. Everyone loves a shot of the token foreigner.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This seems like good news for AZ.
NEW: Arizona’s Rt (r-naught) dropped to .76 from .82 — the lowest in the nation. Any figure below 1.0 means the virus is slowing.
Let's stay the course, Arizona. Maintain physical distance, wash your hands and #MaskUpAZ ✔️
https://rt.live/
Rt COVID-19Up-to-date values for Rt — the number to watch to measure COVID spread.rt.live
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

That is very good news. If we keep it up a bit longer, and then return to "normal" with masks and continued distancing, hopefully we can be in good shape before flu season hits.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I thought this was funny. I hope you also see the humor in it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t know who this guy is. If they die of only Covid symptoms? It sounds like he is saying if I go into the hospital with Covid and then develop pneumonia as well and die, I died of pneumonia, not Covid, therefore Covid didn’t kill me and their numbers are all wrong. If Covid caused so much stress on my heart that I have a massive heart attack, I died of a heart attack, not Covid therefore their numbers are all wrong. If I jump out of an airplane and a quarter mile before hitting the ground and splatting all over the pavement I suffer a massive heart attack from the fear, I died from a heart attack, not the fall.

It sounds like another way to manipulate the numbers to make Covid look tamer me.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’s just a comedian

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:12 am
I don’t know who this guy is. If they die of only Covid symptoms? It sounds like he is saying if I go into the hospital with Covid and then develop pneumonia as well and die, I died of pneumonia, not Covid, therefore Covid didn’t kill me and their numbers are all wrong. If Covid caused so much stress on my heart that I have a massive heart attack, I died of a heart attack, not Covid therefore their numbers are all wrong. If I jump out of an airplane and a quarter mile before hitting the ground and splatting all over the pavement I suffer a massive heart attack from the fear, I died from a heart attack, not the fall.

It sounds like another way to manipulate the numbers to make Covid look tamer me.
exactly. There is a reason the CDC has specifically refuted the notion that the death count is lower than 180,000 Americans due to SARS-CoV-2.

Go look at death certificates for gun shot victims. It isn't going to only list the gun shot as the cause of death. If it punctured your lung and you drown in your own blood, that will be the ultimate cause of death, but the initiating event will be the bullet wound.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

People have well controlled diabetes for 30 years. They get Covid, severe illness causes blood sugar to become difficult to manage, and they die.

The cause of death is Covid, complicated by diabetes. They were doing just fine with their diabetes before they caught the Rona.

This is silly. It’s again non medical people trying to interpret medical data through their biased uneducated lens.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

A couple years ago my aunt with diabetes got a cold. We ended up taking her to the hospital. She had pneumonia. Her lungs started filling with fluids and they had to drain them a couple of times. She ended up dying of congestive heart failure. What killed her?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:47 am
He’s just a comedian
Is he? I thought comedians are supposed to be funny? Admittedly, a Covid death routine is pretty tough material to make funny. This guy fails in my opinion. Probably not a good choice to begin with. It's like trying to make Holocaust jokes.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:41 pm
Split T wrote:
He’s just a comedian
Is he? I thought comedians are supposed to be funny? Admittedly, a Covid death routine is pretty tough material to make funny. This guy fails in my opinion. Probably not a good choice to begin with. It's like trying to make Holocaust jokes.
Well, he might be one of those guys that thinks that was a hoax too. :roll:

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:41 pm
Split T wrote:
He’s just a comedian
His audience in this was clearly those who think this is a joke. So I don’t think you were his audience. I’m just not going to take a comedy routine seriously.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I didn’t take it as comedy at all. I took it as propaganda designed to make people question the numbers the medical system has put forth.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:26 pm
I didn’t take it as comedy at all. I took it as propaganda designed to make people question the numbers the medical system has put forth.
He's a comedian, although it probably comes off as facetious humor.