Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
In2ition

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:41 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:02 pm
I don't think they are deliberately lying, just being pressured for some reason. It's only anecdotal, but a lot of drs are reporting this. Why would they be pressured?
I guess that is what I am asking. These doctors work for the hospital. What does a hospital CEO have to gain by coercing doctors to falsify medical records? This doesn't make a hospital look good to have more deaths associated with COVID than their CEO buddy of a different hospital chain. If anything, there would be a benefit to having lower numbers.
Idk the answer to this. Maybe their is a benefit or maybe it's bs. I think we would all hope that accurate counts benefits everyone.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Please watch this closely all the way through and give me your thoughts.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I watched it all. She makes a lot of bold accusations against a lot of people and institutions. I will check out all of this. I started by trying to find out who funded the movie or who produced it. Track the funding and you will find which political group is behind it. I usually go right Wikepedia. They know everything about everything. They had nothing. I looked up the doctors name. She is on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Mikovits
Anti-vaccination activism and conspiracy theories
Mikovits has spoken at a number of anti-vaccination events.[24][25][3][4] She has claimed that retroviruses have contaminated 30% of vaccines.[2]

Mikovits has garnered criticism from some scientists for stating that XMRV is a communicable infection which is "clearly circulating through the population, as is our fear and your fear". Virologist Vincent Racaniello responded to that, saying that it "is just inciting fear."[16][26][dead link] Mikovits showed slides at a conference linking XMRV to Parkinson's disease, autism and multiple sclerosis. However, there is no published evidence that XMRV is associated with these diseases.[27][28][29][30]

Mikovits was arrested on November 18, 2011, based on allegations by the WPI that she had removed notebooks and other proprietary information from WPI. She was held temporarily pursuant to that case.[8] Subsequently, criminal charges brought against Mikovits by Washoe County, Nevada were dismissed by the District Attorney and Assistant District Attorney in Reno, Nevada.[31][32][33][34][1]

Mikovits has gained attention on social media for promoting her hypotheses about the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic. She does not believe that a vaccine is needed to prevent COVID-19[3] and claims that the coronavirus was "caused by a bad strain of flu vaccine that was circulating between 2013 and 2015".[35]

They mentioned Hydroxychloroquine, the drug Trump was touting as promising. He got a lot of crap for that and they ended up shutting down prescriptions for it for Covid-19 use. Doctors in the movie claim it is helping patients so, I went to check it out myself. It turns out that Hydroxychloroquine IS helping Covid-19 patients after all. I will be the first to admit it.

Hydroxychloroquine Has about 90 Percent Chance of Helping COVID-19 Patients
https://aapsonline.org/hcq-90-percent-chance/

To date, the total number of reported patients treated with HCQ, with or without zinc and the widely used antibiotic azithromycin, is 2,333, writes AAPS, in observational data from China, France, South Korea, Algeria, and the U.S. Of these, 2,137 or 91.6 percent improved clinically. There were 63 deaths, all but 11 in a single retrospective report from the Veterans Administration where the patients were severely ill.

The antiviral properties of these drugs have been studied since 2003. Particularly when combined with zinc, they hinder viral entry into cells and inhibit replication. They may also prevent overreaction by the immune system, which causes the cytokine storm responsible for much of the damage in severe cases, explains AAPS. HCQ is often very helpful in treating autoimmune diseases such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

Additional benefits shown in some studies, AAPS states, is to decrease the number of days when a patient is contagious, reduce the need for ventilators, and shorten the time to clinical recovery.

She makes the claim Fauci and some other guy are conspiring to keep useful drugs off the market and killing people for their own personal profit off drugs they own patents to. I will definitely check that out.

I am a little suspicious of things like this. Fauci has been officially named a scapegoat for Covid-19 by Republicans and they have gone after him hard just like they have many other institutional heads in the IRS, FBI, DOJ etc. The guy has been “The Guy” for five Presidents so, he obviously has some clout n the disease world.

She mentions the evil media spreading lies. That’s right out of the Trump/Republican playbook.

Thanks for posting it in2ition. It’s food for thought and a slick presentation. I am not sold yet but, I am intrigued. Everything is propaganda of some sort and this certainly is. I will definitely be checking out the Fauci accusations next.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That was an interesting video and I have even less faith in people now than I did before watching it.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Then they succeeded.

One of the parts of the film talked about Fauci owning patents to drugs and accused him of pimping his own drugs for profit while stifling others that competed. I really wanted to check this out. I found this article from 2005 talking about it.

Royalty payments to staff researchers cause new NIH troubles
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC545012/
The press agency reported that two leading researchers, Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and his deputy, Clifford Lane, received payments relating to their development of interleukin 2 as a treatment for HIV/AIDS. Dr Lane told the BMJ that the payment was part of his federal compensation. He explained that the government patented the development and shared the payments it received with the inventors. Since 1997 he has received about $45 000 he says. The institutes awarded $36m in grants for studies to test the treatment.

Dr Anthony Fauci told the BMJ that as a government employee he was required by law to put his name on the patent for the development of interleukin 2 and was also required by law to receive part of the payment the government received for use of the patent. He said that he felt it was inappropiate to receive payment and donated the entire amount to charity.

Says Dr. Anthony Fauci “stands to lose 100 million dollars on Bill Gates ‘vaccine’ for the coronavirus. Because he invested in this vaccine.”
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... -millions/

So Gates' money is indirectly going toward the development of a potential coronavirus vaccine created by NIAID scientists, but not to the agency itself. And there is no publicly available evidence that Fauci personally stands to profit from a vaccine.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

For anyone that was curious, that was removed by youtube to protect you. Got to love censorship. Here is another before it's taken down too.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I found this interesting after watching that video.  https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/us/unive ... index.html

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Why after the video? Do you think he was assassinated for political reasons because hew was on the verge of a breakthrough discovery? How does a person get on the verge of breakthrough discovery but, not discover anything? The video that has been pulled down from two sites now implied Fauci, CDC and the WHO were all working together to squash any breakthrough discoveries, so they can profit off their own cure. Are you implying Fauci, the CDC or the WHO had him assassinated?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:26 pm
Why after the video? Do you think he was assassinated for political reasons because hew was on the verge of a breakthrough discovery? How does a person get on the verge of breakthrough discovery but, not discover anything? The video that has been pulled down from two sites now implied Fauci, CDC and the WHO were all working together to squash any breakthrough discoveries, so they can profit off their own cure. Are you implying Fauci, the CDC or the WHO had him assassinated?
If you wonder if something nefarious could have happened in the past, you may also think it could happen in the future. I have no idea what happened or why it happened.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The police report says the murder was personal and had nothing to do with his research.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:18 pm
The police report says the murder was personal and had nothing to do with his research.
That Son of a ....

Thanks, Split

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Idk if you can believe half of what was said in the video. I'm not sure she is credible in th ef least.

I did see this though. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 02179#mmc1

Cap

Post by Cap »

The bar next door is opening on Monday. They’re opening because the government says it’s okay to open. But is it really? I don’t know whether or not I should go.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Never been a business owner nor do I have any kind of business/econ/finance background but is it worth opening up and taking on operational costs if you're only seeing 20-30% of your business come back initially? I get no one wants to stay closed but at what point are you better off staying closed vs potentially operating at a loss? Genuinely curious and I know each business/establishment is different. You can use less staff, order less items (food/drinks/products), etc to keep costs down but does it do more harm than good financially?

And that's not even taking into account any preventative health measures businesses probably should be (but most likely won't be) putting in place in terms of social distancing or testing staffers week in and week out. And is there liability protection if a customer/patron goes to a bar or restaurant and gets sick after but with no way of knowing if it came from that establishment?

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:46 am
Never been a business owner nor do I have any kind of business/econ/finance background but is it worth opening up and taking on operational costs if you're only seeing 20-30% of your business come back initially? I get no one wants to stay closed but at what point are you better off staying closed vs potentially operating at a loss? Genuinely curious and I know each business/establishment is different. You can use less staff, order less items (food/drinks/products), etc to keep costs down but does it do more harm than good financially?

And that's not even taking into account any preventative health measures businesses probably should be (but most likely won't be) putting in place in terms of social distancing or testing staffers week in and week out. And is there liability protection if a customer/patron goes to a bar or restaurant and gets sick after but with no way of knowing if it came from that establishment?
Businesses should be testing their staffers week in and week out? I’m sure they’d love to, but those tests aren’t available.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I know and it doesn't seem reasonable, but all it takes it one server/waiter/staffer...it's just the risk we take at this point.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:29 am
The bar next door is opening on Monday. They’re opening because the government says it’s okay to open. But is it really? I don’t know whether or not I should go.
Have fun!
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Looking at the current charts of confirmed positive tests in the US is alarming. NYC is doing a great job of bending their curve, but the rest of the US is not even close. If you subtract out NY, we are still going up on the curve instead of flattening or coming down. Those states that are opening up things like bars and restaurants and barbers and nail salons are going to get a lot of people killed.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Aren't the numbers going to keep going up as more and more tests become available? I think most testing has happened in NYC, so it's not all that surprising to me. They should do random testing in areas around the country and extrapolate the numbers. I have a feeling that there are a lot more people that have already had the virus than we think.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:50 am
Aren't the numbers going to keep going up as more and more tests become available? I think most testing has happened in NYC, so it's not all that surprising to me. They should do random testing in areas around the country and extrapolate the numbers. I have a feeling that there are a lot more people that have already had the virus than we think.
the testing is not for who has had it, they are for who has it right now. The anti-body testing is flaky right now (according to people I know working on trying to use that to ensure safety of people coming back to work). So I don't think it is an expected/normal thing for the number of new positive cases to be growing at this rate in states that are re-opening.