Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Indy

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Indy »

My mom had COVID-19 in January. It wasn't too bad, no trouble breathing, no hospitalization, and was back to work in about a week. But about a month ago she started getting dizzy/light headed, and saw her doctor. Turns out she is now pre-diabetic, after having no history of pancreatic issues. She told her sister about it, who also had COVID-19 (with no major complications), and turns out she is now pre-diabetic too. Neither have other factors that lead to the disease, and there isn't a family history. I thought that was weird so I started looking around and found this:

https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/blog/why- ... ng-covid19
In November 2020, a global analysis published in the journal Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism found that up to 14.4% of people who were hospitalized with severe COVID-19 also developed diabetes.

If any of you that had it start to have any symptoms, get checked out. Simply blood test.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I just assumed anyone over 40 was pre-diabetic. I was told I was pre-diabetic a few years ago after a blood test. I was also over on bad cholesterol too. I cut way back on sugar, less soda, more water and started eating more trail mix stuff instead of crap junk food. A year later my blood test came back and I was below the threshold of bad on everything. Now I have slipped back somewhere in the middle on the bad habit scale.

I have not heard a word about Covid patients becoming pre-diabetic before. I am curious now since I was pre-diabetic already and got Covid. I am going through some medical stuff unrelated to Covid and have had every test imaginable X-rays, mri’s, CT scan, echocardiogram’s and blood work and nobody has mentioned diabetes. I guess you have to have had severe Covid and my case barely registered as a cold.

Indy

Post by Indy »

it wasn't severe for either of them, but the study I shared did look specifically at severe cases.

And neither of them were pre-diabetic before that, and have regular physicals and blood work each year.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

You could help round out the study if you caught Covid.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Interesting. Glad your mother has recovered at least, Indy. COVID is scary stuff. A lot of folks focus on the case counts and death numbers, but there are a lot of negative consequences short of death that are still problematic.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:59 pm
Not that I want you to get it Indy. Not a very tasteful joke. I have only seen one Covid joke.

“I just had my first shot. As soon as the waitress comes around again I’ll order my second.”

Cap

Post by Cap »

I’ll tell you a coronavirus joke, but you’ll have to wait two weeks to see if you got it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:14 pm
Nodack wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:59 pm
Not that I want you to get it Indy. Not a very tasteful joke. I have only seen one Covid joke.

“I just had my first shot. As soon as the waitress comes around again I’ll order my second.”
I didn't think you were wishing that on me, dack. no worries.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

You know what they’re saying about 2020. It went viral faster than anyone thought it would.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

You guys think it's bad here? In Germany, they prepared for the covid crisis by stocking up with sausage and cheese. They figured that would be the wurst käse scenario.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Why did the cannibal die of COVID-19? Too many handshakes.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

My husband purchased a world map and then gave me a dart and said, “Throw this and wherever it lands—that’s where I’m taking you when this pandemic ends.” Turns out, we’re spending two weeks behind the fridge.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The World Health Organization announced that dogs cannot contract COVID-19. Dogs previously held in quarantine can now be released. To be clear, WHO let the dogs out.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

How did the health experts lie? They said a mask and gloves was enough to go to the grocery store. When I got there, everyone else had clothes on.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Quarantine has really put a damper on comedy. For months nobody has walked into a bar.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Why do they call it the novel coronavirus? It’s a long story….

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Why does it seem that every new virus comes from China? Are we just numb to this or am I just missing a bunch of other big viruses that don't get reported? Should this report belong here, in it's own new thread or in the Latest Military Hardware thread?

Jun 2, 2021,01:26am EDT|5,686 views
China Reports First Case Of H10N3 Bird Flu Infecting A Human
Bruce Y. LeeSenior Contributor
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2 ... 4affc7484e

Looks like someone gave a man in China the bird. The bird flu, that is. And the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CCDC) is making sure that the someone was a bird and not a human.

Normally, the H10N3 avian influenza virus is for the birds, so to speak, and not for humans. In fact, before April, this strain of flu virus had never been known to jump to human. However, all that changed on Tuesday when China's National Health Commission (NHC) announced that a 41-year-old man, from Zhenjiang in the Jiangsu Province of China, had indeed been infected with the H10N3 avian influenza virus.

During the last week of April, the man had developed a fever, but not just a need cowbell-type of fever. This fever got worse and worse until he was admitted to a local hospital on April 28. Eventually, doctors took samples of respiratory fluid from the man and sent them off to the CCDC, who on May 28 conducted genetic analyses on the specimens. What did they find? The H10N3 bird flu virus. Fortunately, the man eventually got better to the point of being ready for discharge from the hospital.

Spoiler: show/hide
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I've never seen somebody have so much fun with a virus story. Just a couple examples off the top:

"Looks like someone gave a man in China the bird. The bird flu, that is."

"During the last week of April, the man had developed a fever, but not just a need cowbell-type of fever."
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy

Post by Indy »

Why does it seem that every new virus comes from China?
Well 20% of the worlds' population lives there. And the poor vs rich gap is even bigger than it is in the US. And there are plenty of places there where the conditions are similar to what the US had during the industrial revolution. Lots and lots and lots of opportunities for viruses to multiply and mutate.