Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Nodack

Re: Coronovirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Nodack »

One benefit of this virus and the stay at home rule is that air quality in places like Los Angeles has improved dramatically.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Oh I am not saying that C-suite people have it tough at all. They will always get paid, even if they lead a failing business. I am saying there is not a lot of profit to be made in the hospital business. They are only marginally better than owning a grocery store chain.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:32 am
Oh I am not saying that C-suite people have it tough at all. They will always get paid, even if they lead a failing business. I am saying there is not a lot of profit to be made in the hospital business. They are only marginally better than owning a grocery store chain.
I’ll have to disagree. 2% profit margin on billions of dollars is still hundreds of millions of dollars. Trim the fat and it’s even more (don’t pay the suits). Hundreds of millions of dollars is a huge profit.

It is interesting that the rise in healthcare costs follows the same curve as the rise in administrators in the healthcare industry.

Cap

Post by Cap »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:13 am
It is interesting that the rise in healthcare costs follows the same curve as the rise in administrators in the healthcare industry.
It’s not at all surprising that the number of administrators would be strongly correlated with the amount of money going through the system. It’s only interesting if you jump from that “no duh” correlation to conclusions about causality.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Cap wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:23 pm
specialsauce wrote:
It’s not at all surprising that the number of administrators would be strongly correlated with the amount of money going through the system. It’s only interesting if you jump from that “no duh” correlation to conclusions about causality.
I would agree correlation does not equal causation, but it’s something to look into. To completely dismiss it would be a mistake. We have a chief officer for everything you could possibly imagine. CEO CMO CTO CFO COO CQO vp svp mvp opp

Reimbursement for healthcare services has not risen with inflation. Nursing/physician/ancillary staff salaries have not risen. So where’s the money going? Riddle me this, Cap.

I’m not saying this as a physician that wants more money. I’d love it but I think my compensation is enough to live and support my family comfortably. I want to save this money for the people. Trim the fat from the top and the devil on earth (insurance companies)

Apologies for hijacking this thread.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:32 am
I’ll have to disagree. 2% profit margin on billions of dollars is still hundreds of millions of dollars. Trim the fat and it’s even more (don’t pay the suits). Hundreds of millions of dollars is a huge profit.
You wouldn't sink money into any stock or mutual fund that had a 2% annual growth rate.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:31 pm
Cap wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
I would agree correlation does not equal causation, but it’s something to look into. To completely dismiss it would be a mistake. We have a chief officer for everything you could possibly imagine. CEO CMO CTO CFO COO CQO vp svp mvp opp

Reimbursement for healthcare services has not risen with inflation. Nursing/physician/ancillary staff salaries have not risen. So where’s the money going? Riddle me this, Cap.

I’m not saying this as a physician that wants more money. I’d love it but I think my compensation is enough to live and support my family comfortably. I want to save this money for the people. Trim the fat from the top and the devil on earth (insurance companies)

It is going to the health insurance companies and drug companies (and lobbyists and politicians).

specialsauce

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:15 am
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:31 pm
Cap wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

It is going to the health insurance companies and drug companies (and lobbyists and politicians).
Not incorrect. However incomplete.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It’s FUBAR. If we all pay twice as much as the rest of the planet does, then somebody is making a lot of money.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

How have none of you language nerds not pointed out the thread title typo yet

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The masculine form makes it sound more serious.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:53 am
The masculine form makes it sound more serious.
:lol:

Cap

Post by Cap »

Cor-Oh, no!-virus

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t believe these numbers. The count has been over 60,000. This says 37,000. Pneumonia deaths are a consistent 3,600 a month for 8 months until Covid comes along. All of the sudden pneumonia deaths start doubling. Testing numbers have been horrible. I would normally believe the CDC. Now I don‘t trust anything.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The US just reported its deadliest day for coronavirus patients as states reopen, according to WHO
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/02/who-us- ... virus.html
The WHO data differs from data collected by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which does not report historical daily Covid-19 deaths. The CDC’s site says that 2,349 people died in the U.S. of Covid-19 on May 1.

However, the agency warns that its data might not be complete. CDC spokeswoman Kate Grusich told CNBC that the agency’s data is “validated through a confirmation process with jurisdictions.”

“CDC does not know the exact number of COVID-19 illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths for a variety of reasons,” the agency says, adding that asymptomatic patients, delays in reporting and limited testing make it difficult to accurately track the data.

Some cities, such as New York City, have struggled to gain a complete understanding of the Covid-19 death toll. Many patients die at home and others are attributed to heart attacks or other conditions that might have been exacerbated by Covid-19, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said last month.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Read an article that South Carolina stopped reporting numbers altogether while Mississippi and New Mexico have seen a rise in numbers and are slowing down or pulling back on re-opening their economies. Some on the left claim numbers are being suppressed while some on the right are saying numbers are being pumped up by "normal"deaths being attributed to corona.

Misinformation all around in some way, but that's the world we live in now. We'll probably never know the real numbers and without legit facts to deal with this, the longer we'll be impacted by the virus.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think the graph does a good job of showing what normal death counts would be from week to week and the change since Covid19. This is a way to more accurately figure out what was a covid death and what wasn't approximately. There have been a lot of reports that doctors have been pressured to report a death as covid even though it was maybe only a small factor. Accurate testing is needed. There also have been testing in pockets of areas that suggest that covid infection is much more prevalent than thought and therefore much less deadly than originally believed.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... kQB9avLMbA
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:20 am
I think the graph does a good job of showing what normal death counts would be from week to week and the change since Covid19. This is a way to more accurately figure out what was a covid death and what wasn't approximately. There have been a lot of reports that doctors have been pressured to report a death as covid even though it was maybe only a small factor. Accurate testing is needed. There also have been testing in pockets of areas that suggest that covid infection is much more prevalent than thought and therefore much less deadly than originally believed.
That’s why excess mortality is the best measure. It avoids subjective judgements about whom to count.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:29 am
In2ition wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:20 am
That’s why excess mortality is the best measure. It avoids subjective judgements about whom to count.
Yes I agree, and it can also debunk or confirm theories of whether the virus started in the US.