Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Cap

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Cap »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:28 pm
Can't believe this thread was started January 27th. We were far more concerned early on than our own POTUS and government.
And my second post in the thread:
Cap wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:41 am
There’s not much you can do. Just live your life and pray for the best.
I should have clarified that I was not addressing POTUS or other government leaders.

My God, what if Trump read that post and took my advice? This could all be my fault!

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Cap wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:50 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:28 pm
Can't believe this thread was started January 27th. We were far more concerned early on than our own POTUS and government.
And my second post in the thread:
Cap wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:41 am
There’s not much you can do. Just live your life and pray for the best.
I should have clarified that I was not addressing POTUS or other government leaders.

My God, what if Trump read that post and took my advice? This could all be my fault!
Truly a pyrrhic victory (trying to force context herelol)

God, that phrase of yours after game 5 of the 2007 semi finals is forever burned in my psyche. And for good reason, it sums up being a Suns fan for me.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What? Is this true from Fauci? I really don't know anything about cycles and sensitivity in tests like these, tbh.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have no idea what a cycle is. 220, 221, whatever it takes. It sounds like they are trying to say Covid is fake again and think they have Fauci in a gotcha moment. I’m not buying it...again and neither does the rest of the planet.

Trump has punted on Covid and ignores ALL the experts and then blames the experts for his incompetence. That’s the story.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

President Trump’s repeated assertions the United States is “rounding the turn” on the novel coronavirus have increasingly alarmed the government's top health experts, who say the country is heading into a long and potentially deadly winter with an unprepared government unwilling to make tough choices.

“We’re in for a whole lot of hurt. It’s not a good situation,” Anthony S. Fauci, the country’s leading infectious-disease expert, said in a wide-ranging interview late Friday. “All the stars are aligned in the wrong place as you go into the fall and winter season, with people congregating at home indoors. You could not possibly be positioned more poorly.”
Fauci, a leading member of the government’s coronavirus response, said the United States needed to make an “abrupt change” in public health practices and behaviors. He said the country could surpass 100,000 new coronavirus cases a day and predicted rising deaths in the coming weeks. He spoke as the nation set a new daily record Friday with more than 98,000 cases. As hospitalizations increase, deaths are also ticking up, with more than 1,000 reported Wednesday and Thursday, bringing the total to more than 230,000 since the start of the pandemic, according to health data analyzed by The Washington Post.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:54 am
I have no idea what a cycle is. 220, 221, whatever it takes. It sounds like they are trying to say Covid is fake again and think they have Fauci in a gotcha moment. I’m not buying it...again and neither does the rest of the planet.

Trump has punted on Covid and ignores ALL the experts and then blames the experts for his incompetence. That’s the story.
I have no idea. I don't know it's a gotcha moment, but this economist thinks it is for some reason.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think I am going to believe the guy that has dedicated his life to studying this topic, instead of the guy with direct financial ties/incentives to dispute it.

I mean, Fauci has been cited over 200,000 times in scholarly journals in his career. That feat has been achieved by less than 100 people on the planet. Ever. There is nobody alive today that is a more renowned expert on infection disease than him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:42 pm
I think I am going to believe the guy that has dedicated his life to studying this topic, instead of the guy with direct financial ties/incentives to dispute it.

I mean, Fauci has been cited over 200,000 times in scholarly journals in his career. That feat has been achieved by less than 100 people on the planet. Ever. There is nobody alive today that is a more renowned expert on infection disease than him.
No lies detected.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:33 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:42 pm

No lies detected.
Yeah, I do my best to not lie. It is kind of one of the things I live by each day. I make a lot of mistakes, and my opinions are just that, but when I make statements or declarations, I work really to make sure they are true (and not just 'internet truths'). :lol:

Indy

Post by Indy »

700,000 new cases in the US in the last 7 days... and 6600 deaths.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

A 90% effective Pfizer vaccine on the way.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:02 pm
Be careful on quoting those numbers. It is a relatively small study and right now we don't know how long the effective immunity lasts. I have been in the FDA-regulated industry for over 20 years and, surprisingly, there is a lot of slop in those numbers.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:18 pm
Superbone wrote:
Be careful on quoting those numbers. It is a relatively small study and right now we don't know how long the effective immunity lasts. I have been in the FDA-regulated industry for over 20 years and, surprisingly, there is a lot of slop in those numbers.
I admit I know nothing. However, it did knock my TDOC holding for a loop.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:30 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:18 pm
Superbone wrote:
I admit I know nothing. However, it did knock my TDOC holding for a loop.
:)

The medical device and pharma industry had a pretty great day overall. I can't play in that market because we are always buying companies and I am privy to the ones we are looking at. So it is just better for me to stay away than try and justify what I knew and when.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am also up 40% on my delta stock that I bought darn near the bottom earlier this year. I am hoping it gets up to about where it was pre-COVID by next summer and I will have made 120% in 18 months.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:36 pm
I am also up 40% on my delta stock that I bought darn near the bottom earlier this year. I am hoping it gets up to about where it was pre-COVID by next summer and I will have made 120% in 18 months.
Nice!

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That’s better than Superbone’s VTI pick.

:D

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:35 pm
That’s better than Superbone’s VTI pick.

:D
Nothing wrong with that. That’s the safe pick.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I hate vanguard. They take so much money in fees, and they don't perform nearly as well as other option. I am stuck with nearly a third of my retirement savings there and not a fan at all.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Is it ok for me to be skeptical of the vaccine if the maker of the vaccine won't take it? Seems like a RED flag to me.
https://www.skai.gr/news/world/almpert- ... ntai-alloi