Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
User avatar
The Bobster
Posts: 4290
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:04 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by The Bobster » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:02 pm

He's a "comedian" although I always thought that implied humor.

The really "funny" thing is I can remember when this was all supposed to be a fraud and then they only predicted about 60,000 deaths, and then they pretty much shut up about it (or worse yet said it was under control as the death kept climbing towards 200,000.

COVID-19 kills people much the same way influenza and HIV do - they make existing conditions (or cause conditions) so severe that the person dies from those conditions. COVID-19 may not be the sole cause of their death, but contracting it caused their death at that point in time.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 11571
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Mori Chu » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:02 am

I still see people claiming that the US has done a splendid job handling the virus because "only" 180k have died and not 2 million. The 2 million number was always the literally worst-case scenario if we did *nothing* to address it: no social distancing, no masks, no shutdowns, etc.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 3591
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Nodack » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:16 pm

The US did the worst job out of any country and AZ was the worst out of the US at containing it.

The heat of summer was supposed to make the virus all but disappear. AZ peaked during the heat of the summer during our hottest summer ever. What does that say? What happens when summer ends and conditions become more favorable for the virus? Does it return with a vengeance or has it run it’s course? China and Russia say they have developed a cure. Is vaccine right around the corner? Will people take it?

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6500
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by In2ition » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:21 pm

Did the numbers go up again? AZ had the lowest infection rate in the country and was going down nicely, just recently.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10769
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Indy » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:40 pm

In2ition wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:21 pm
Did the numbers go up again? AZ had the lowest infection rate in the country and was going down nicely, just recently.
yes, the infection rate in AZ went up again. There were about 2 weeks that it was the lowest in the nation, but that was after several as the highest. The beginning of the semester at UofA and ASU threw it into a tailspin again. And k-12 schools are now moving to in-person, which will make it go up again.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 3591
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Nodack » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:41 am

We were pretty steady at 1 or 2 hundred cases a day all the way up until just before June when we started opening things up. Then our new cases went up like a match dropped on gasoline. We peaked on July 1st with nearly 5000 new cases a day. We made masks mandatory and in August 1st had subsided at around 1000 new cases a day. On August 31 we only had 174 new cases. September 3 we started to go back up again to 1000 new cases a day. Maybe that’s an anomaly. Time will tell. It seems we get a handle on it and then think we have it licked, so we relax the restrictions and everyone starts acting like it’s over and then Covid takes off. We get a handle on it again and now “Lets open it all up again, it’s over!” We still have the requirement of masks going on that most people adhere to who aren’t Trump supporters.

Trump is back to insulting people who wear masks after calling himself Mr. Patriotic for wearing one one day.

In my opinion mandatory masks is what brought the numbers under control.

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 6264
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by ShelC » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:34 am

Anyone who thinks masks don't help or are more harmful because of "lack of oxygen/increase in CO2" is delusional. Sorry.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6500
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by In2ition » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:27 pm

My dad has COPD, and I wouldn't say masks are helpful for him to wear. Is he delusional?
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 3591
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Nodack » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:41 pm

My elderly mother has COPD too and is on oxygen as much as she can stand. She has been to the doctor several times with me for heart issues recently and as required wore the mask. She doesn’t like the mask anymore than anyone else but, wore it anyway. It’s not comfortable and a little more difficult to breath but she doesn’t have Covid.

It’s delusional to say masks don’t help stop Covid. Making them mandatory is what slowed down the virus in AZ after we became the absolute worst state for Covid. I have no doubt about that. I’m sure many on the right will disagree. I don’t care. Facts are facts. There isn’t a soul on planet earth that enjoys wearing the masks. We aren’t doing it for fun. It won’t kill anyone. We are all just trying to get through this difficult time. Everything in the US has become super politicized. This shouldn’t be political, it should be common sense.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10769
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Indy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 am

In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:27 pm
My dad has COPD, and I wouldn't say masks are helpful for him to wear. Is he delusional?
Is he delusional? I don't get the question. If you are saying your dad thinks masks won't help prevent the spread of the disease, then yes, he is delusional. If you are asking if he is delusional because wearing a mask might increase his disease, then no, he isn't delusional. If you have COPD, some masks can make it harder to breathe.

whether you say it is helpful or not for him to wear a mask doesn't really matter. if you cannot wear a mask for medical reasons, you stay away from people. you don't go to stores. you don't go pick up food at a restaurant. you stay away. especially if you already have breathing problems and are therefore more at risk being killed by the virus.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6500
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by In2ition » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:08 am

Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:27 pm
My dad has COPD, and I wouldn't say masks are helpful for him to wear. Is he delusional?
Is he delusional? I don't get the question. If you are saying your dad thinks masks won't help prevent the spread of the disease, then yes, he is delusional. If you are asking if he is delusional because wearing a mask might increase his disease, then no, he isn't delusional. If you have COPD, some masks can make it harder to breathe.

whether you say it is helpful or not for him to wear a mask doesn't really matter. if you cannot wear a mask for medical reasons, you stay away from people. you don't go to stores. you don't go pick up food at a restaurant. you stay away. especially if you already have breathing problems and are therefore more at risk being killed by the virus.
The question was in reference to "Anyone who thinks masks don't help or are more harmful because of "lack of oxygen/increase in CO2" is delusional. Sorry." I'm sure when he believes that masks help to not spread Covid, but it's also harmful to him because of lack of oxygen/increase in CO2. They aren't mutually exclusive. Heck, he doesn't go outside if it's hot, humid or windy, that's how much his breathing is affected. Yes, he stays away from being around people. He has his meals and groceries delivered, and hardly ever goes out. He's in a good community that doesn't have any cases, but he can't risk it either.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 11571
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Mori Chu » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:33 am

What Indy said. Sorry to hear about your dad's condition. That condition doesn't change the science about masks. Everybody should wear them as much as they can when they're around other people. If your dad is unable to do that and get enough oxygen, it makes it all the more important that he avoid unnecessary social contact, and that those who are around him are extremely careful about wearing their own masks, maintaining distance, and sanitizing / washing up frequently.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6500
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by In2ition » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:59 am

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:33 am
What Indy said. Sorry to hear about your dad's condition. That condition doesn't change the science about masks. Everybody should wear them as much as they can when they're around other people. If your dad is unable to do that and get enough oxygen, it makes it all the more important that he avoid unnecessary social contact, and that those who are around him are extremely careful about wearing their own masks, maintaining distance, and sanitizing / washing up frequently.
Gee, I thought I said that he was. Perhaps my writing isn't clear enough.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 9456
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Split T » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:26 am

I think you guys are getting caught up in little details. It sounds like everyone thinks essentially the same and that In2’s dad is being careful and following good practices to the best he can with his medical condition.
Tyrese Haliburton • Devin Vassell • Killian Hayes • Aaron Nesmith • Patrick Williams • RJ Hampton

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10769
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Indy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:08 pm

I agree it sounds like his dad is doing what he can to protect himself and others.

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 11571
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Mori Chu » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:04 pm

Sorry for sounding combative In2. Glad your father is taking precautions and I wish him well.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 3591
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Nodack » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:02 am

I was at Walmart today. They have a guy about fifty feet before the entrance making sure only so many people are allowed to enter at a time. At the door they now have security making sure everyone has a mask.

My wife was in a different Walmart several days earlier and some weren’t wearing their masks inside. My wife asked why they weren’t policing that and the security guard said because a security guard at another store tried to make someone wear a mask and they came back and shot the security guard. He said it wasn’t worth dying for.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 4326
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by specialsauce » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:03 am

In2ition wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:08 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:27 pm
My dad has COPD, and I wouldn't say masks are helpful for him to wear. Is he delusional?
Is he delusional? I don't get the question. If you are saying your dad thinks masks won't help prevent the spread of the disease, then yes, he is delusional. If you are asking if he is delusional because wearing a mask might increase his disease, then no, he isn't delusional. If you have COPD, some masks can make it harder to breathe.

whether you say it is helpful or not for him to wear a mask doesn't really matter. if you cannot wear a mask for medical reasons, you stay away from people. you don't go to stores. you don't go pick up food at a restaurant. you stay away. especially if you already have breathing problems and are therefore more at risk being killed by the virus.
The question was in reference to "Anyone who thinks masks don't help or are more harmful because of "lack of oxygen/increase in CO2" is delusional. Sorry." I'm sure when he believes that masks help to not spread Covid, but it's also harmful to him because of lack of oxygen/increase in CO2. They aren't mutually exclusive. Heck, he doesn't go outside if it's hot, humid or windy, that's how much his breathing is affected. Yes, he stays away from being around people. He has his meals and groceries delivered, and hardly ever goes out. He's in a good community that doesn't have any cases, but he can't risk it either.
Your dad is the reason I’m so quick to snap at 30 year olds in the ED who complain that wearing a mask is “difficult”, or wear it with their nose out, in my face, with a +Covid test. It’s completely irresponsible and shows a complete lack of consideration for people like your father.

Glad he’s doing all the right things to stay safe

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6500
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by In2ition » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:16 am

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:04 pm
Sorry for sounding combative In2. Glad your father is taking precautions and I wish him well.
No worries. Thanks, I hope he stays well too.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6500
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by In2ition » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:51 am

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:03 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:08 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:27 pm
My dad has COPD, and I wouldn't say masks are helpful for him to wear. Is he delusional?
Is he delusional? I don't get the question. If you are saying your dad thinks masks won't help prevent the spread of the disease, then yes, he is delusional. If you are asking if he is delusional because wearing a mask might increase his disease, then no, he isn't delusional. If you have COPD, some masks can make it harder to breathe.

whether you say it is helpful or not for him to wear a mask doesn't really matter. if you cannot wear a mask for medical reasons, you stay away from people. you don't go to stores. you don't go pick up food at a restaurant. you stay away. especially if you already have breathing problems and are therefore more at risk being killed by the virus.
The question was in reference to "Anyone who thinks masks don't help or are more harmful because of "lack of oxygen/increase in CO2" is delusional. Sorry." I'm sure when he believes that masks help to not spread Covid, but it's also harmful to him because of lack of oxygen/increase in CO2. They aren't mutually exclusive. Heck, he doesn't go outside if it's hot, humid or windy, that's how much his breathing is affected. Yes, he stays away from being around people. He has his meals and groceries delivered, and hardly ever goes out. He's in a good community that doesn't have any cases, but he can't risk it either.
Your dad is the reason I’m so quick to snap at 30 year olds in the ED who complain that wearing a mask is “difficult”, or wear it with their nose out, in my face, with a +Covid test. It’s completely irresponsible and shows a complete lack of consideration for people like your father.

Glad he’s doing all the right things to stay safe
If you have a +Covid test, you should be doing everything you can to make sure you don't spread it. There is no reason to be cavalier about it, when you know YOU can spread it it. (And I don't mean you, sauce)

Thanks, and I hope he stays safe too.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

Post Reply