Investing

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
ShelC

Re: Investing

Post by ShelC »

So what do we think? Is the bottom in yet?

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:59 pm
http://www.ask8ball.net/

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

"Signs point to yes".

Time to buy!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:59 pm
No way to know. I’d like to think we’re already past it. March 23rd was the bottom so far which is nearly a month ago. We’ve actually recovered quite a bit since then. If a second wave of the pandemic hits (maybe due to all these idiots in a big hurry to get back out there), it could sink even lower though.

Fingers crossed.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

My wife thinks it’s time to buy. I think we may see a surge a little and then once the sheer magnitude of the FUness to the economy along with unemployment rates, housing start and all that talk of a recession worse than the Great Depression happens we may see some seriously low numbers. We are just printing a crap load of money and handing it out. Doesn’t that have consequences? I am pretty scared that I left mine “all in”. I hope world banks don’t fail and money becomes kindling. Watch gold go through the roof.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:08 am
My wife thinks it’s time to buy. I think we may see a surge a little and then once the sheer magnitude of the FUness to the economy along with unemployment rates, housing start and all that talk of a recession worse than the Great Depression happens we may see some seriously low numbers. We are just printing a crap load of money and handing it out. Doesn’t that have consequences? I am pretty scared that I left mine “all in”. I hope world banks don’t fail and money becomes kindling. Watch gold go through the roof.
Don’t be scared. You have time on your side. Eventually, it will recover and then some. I can easily envision the Dow Jones at 40,000+ in 10 years from now.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

About a month ago I moved a nearly flat mutual fund into some stocks when I though things were pretty much at the bottom. So far about a 28% increase, so I am hoping that keeps up.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Anyone buying any stocks lately? I've never really had the cash flow to get into it until recently and figured I'd roll on a couple of stocks I've always watched and liked. Nvidia being the main one, the other being Apple. Nvidia has always been a solid stock and being one of the cool things is how diverse the company itself is and the areas it has it's hands in effect everything we do. Apple I know isn't going to be a gold mine like it was if you invested in the 80's but know they're traditionally a safe pick; not to mention there's a lot of rumor about some groundbreaking AI upgrade coming in the next generation iphone.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nvidia would have been a great one to invest in. The S&P 500 is the safest and best fund to invest in long term, as it always beats out others. But, I think that Superbone is a wise investor here, from what I can remember. Maybe he can give you some advice.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Apple has been a cash cow but who knows the future? Superbone talked me into investing in Vanguard total stocks. If the stock market goes up, you make money. Overall historically the stock market goes up so you are pretty safe with that pick.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Good to know... Looking into it I see they have various areas broken down and then like an overall one. They all do well from what I can see. Thank you for the input :)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:11 am
Nvidia would have been a great one to invest in. The S&P 500 is the safest and best fund to invest in long term, as it always beats out others. But, I think that Superbone is a wise investor here, from what I can remember. Maybe he can give you some advice.
Nodack wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:26 am
Apple has been a cash cow but who knows the future? Superbone talked me into investing in Vanguard total stocks. If the stock market goes up, you make money. Overall historically the stock market goes up so you are pretty safe with that pick.
Yeah, you guys nailed it. The total stock market and S&P 500 index funds are a great place to start. Then if you want to branch out there are sub indexes like Small Cap Value, Medium Cap, and various Large Cap (value and growth) indexes. Cap just represents the size of the companies in the index. My biggest mistakes were betting on individual companies although you can get lucky too. Apple has been great but like Nodack says, nobody knows the future. The number one company stock 30 years ago may be out of business now.

But index funds have historically always gone up over time. I always recommend the book The Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins if you only read one book on investing. 95% of my stocks are in index funds. I will probably never buy another individual stock. That's more like true gambling and you have to know when to get in and out. Now that I'm retired, it's a whole new ballgame since I no longer have new money coming in. Now it's about making it last the rest of my life. Of course, I also have a bond portion of my portfolio that's invested in individual bonds, CDs, and money markets. This has to support me during down market cycles. There will always be down cycles that you'll have to withstand. You don't want to have to sell stocks while they are down. You also have to have patience.
"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Thanks, for the advice and makes a lot of sense. I know I have a bunch of stuff from my employers from when I worked I need to dig through. Pretty sure most of that stuff is in mutual funds/401k. I'll check out that book too :)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

One other thing to add is that when the market is down it's a good thing for long term investors that continue to invest as your getting a deal on new money invested. Once you retire and are no longer investing new money, not so good. :) I've been lucky so far that my portfolio has gone up significantly since I retired. But I have years worth of stable funds to cover me in down years.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kryptonic wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:10 pm
Thanks, for the advice and makes a lot of sense. I know I have a bunch of stuff from my employers from when I worked I need to dig through. Pretty sure most of that stuff is in mutual funds/401k. I'll check out that book too :)
You might want to look into consolidating those into a single IRA. Also watch out for the fees (expense ratio) on your investments. Index funds normally have very low expense ratios since they follow an index and don't need a manager to invest the funds as they see fit.
"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:15 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:10 pm
You might want to look into consolidating those into a single IRA. Also watch out for the fees (expense ratio) on your investments. Index funds normally have very low expense ratios since they follow an index and don't need a manager to invest the funds as they see fit.
Totally agree.. It's just been one of those things that's been dwindling in the back of my mind but life keeps getting in the way. Again, thanks for the help :)