Investing

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Investing

Post by Superbone »

“Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.”

-Warren Buffett

So… Last Thursday night (3/12/20), I dumped all of my extra cash into the stock market. Also, in my 401k, I moved a significant amount out of bonds and into stocks. Now I wait.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Re: Investing

Post by Cap »

Good luck! I hope you’re right, I depend on the stock market too.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:38 pm
Good luck! I hope you’re right, I depend on the stock market too.
Thanks. In time I should be right as the history of the US stock market has shown that it always has gone up. Still doesn’t mean it couldn’t go down another 20% from here first. And if it were never to recover, we’re all screwed anyway!
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I sold a bunch of company stock to use as a down payment on my AZ house 4 weeks ago. It was perfect timing for me (highest ever stock price for us). So now all of that money is sitting in a bank account only earning 1% interest. I know I have to have the cash for the down payment in mid-April, but I am so wanting to put it into the market in hopes that even a moderate recovery could mean ten to twenty thousand. But the same to the other side means I can't cover my down payment. I am just not a risk taker I guess.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Holy shit today. down 3000 points to start the week.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:46 am
And up 1200 since you posted that. Um... yay?

Indy

Post by Indy »

How about yay

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, I wouldn't mess with your down payment money. Only funds you don't need for the foreseeable future. Just be thankful that you took it out when you did!
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think we've seen the bottom just yet but may be close. It'll depend on how bad corona gets in the US and how long things are shuttered. But even if things dip more, they should recover back to normal levels assuming corona gets under control. It may take a year or two for the airlines and cruise lines to bounce back, and those are the ones I'm watching closely now. Also the FAANG stocks are cheaper than they've been so can't hurt to grab a few and some others like Roku, Twitter, Square, Paypal, Uber, Lyft...

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The administer of my 401K just locked my account from checking on it, and they removed the phone number to contact them, haha. It was hemorrhaging money, so...maybe they just took all the money and skipped town. That would be just my luck, lol.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:56 am
The administer of my 401K just locked my account from checking on it, and they removed the phone number to contact them, haha. It was hemorrhaging money, so...maybe they just took all the money and skipped town. That would be just my luck, lol.
Wow! That's not cool. Trying to protect everybody from themselves?
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:12 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:56 am
Wow! That's not cool. Trying to protect everybody from themselves?
I'm hoping that's the case and not the worst case scenario where they just seized my money for themselves.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:27 am
I don't think we've seen the bottom just yet but may be close. It'll depend on how bad corona gets in the US and how long things are shuttered. But even if things dip more, they should recover back to normal levels assuming corona gets under control. It may take a year or two for the airlines and cruise lines to bounce back, and those are the ones I'm watching closely now. Also the FAANG stocks are cheaper than they've been so can't hurt to grab a few and some others like Roku, Twitter, Square, Paypal, Uber, Lyft...
Yeah, I own a lot of Amazon, a bit of Google, and a little Apple. It would be a good time to buy more of all 3.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:37 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:46 am
And up 1200 since you posted that. Um... yay?
sigh. finished down over 2999 points.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I kept it all in.

Down 3k today so far...

The market not me. I haven’t even looked at my accounts.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:29 pm
I kept it all in.

Down 3k today so far...

Exactly. You only win/lose when you sell. It is easy to buy high and sell low. I wish I had more liquid cash to buy right now.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:48 pm
Nodack wrote:
I kept it all in.

Down 3k today so far...

Exactly. You only win/lose when you sell. It is easy to buy high and sell low. I wish I had more liquid cash to buy right now.
Yep. Now we wait. And keep investing when we can! Those of us with 401ks are getting great deals right now every time we get paid.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:07 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:48 pm
Nodack wrote:
I kept it all in.

Down 3k today so far...

Yep. Now we wait. And keep investing when we can! Those of us with 401ks are getting great deals right now every time we get paid.
Yeah, I got my annual 11% dump from my company into it yesterday, but not sure if it was at the beginning or the end. :)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Well, I sure missed the bottom (are we there yet? probably not) but now I have no choice but to just wait it out. Luckily, I left myself the cash reserves to do just that.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I cashed in a mutual fund I had that was basically flat the last 5 years and bought 100k of my company's stock... 😬