Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: TV Shows / Movies

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:19 pm
The new Dune is amazing. My wife and I were floored watching it. It's on HBO Now / HBO Go. Sci-fi is probably our favorite genre. The Expanse is probably our favorite series over the past 5 years. Arrival and the latest Bladerunner we're amazing as well (same filmmaker as Dune).

Anyone else watch the new Dune yet? I've never read the books or watched the old Dune movie.
Yep, enjoyed it immensely. Will probably watch it again before it’s off HBO. Never read the book but I remember seeing the original movie when I was pretty young. Just remember it being weird and not greatly enjoyable like this one.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:40 pm
I saw Dune in the theater last weekend and liked it a lot. The source material is very deep and complex, but the film did a great job of hitting the key points that made it easy enough to follow.
Looking forward to part 2!
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I have never read anything in the Dune universe, and never saw the previous movie. But we saw it in the theatre a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it. You could feel that they were trying to cram a whole lot into the movie, so I thought the story was really slow in some parts, but then rushed in others. The movie was visually stunning, and everyone in it seemed believable in their roles.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:05 am
I have never read anything in the Dune universe, and never saw the previous movie. But we saw it in the theatre a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it. You could feel that they were trying to cram a whole lot into the movie, so I thought the story was really slow in some parts, but then rushed in others. The movie was visually stunning, and everyone in it seemed believable in their roles.
Interesting. We were glued to the movie the entire time. But we're both big in cinematography and Denis Villeneuve is known for exactly that. I'd seen Sicario before and had my wife watch that with me for her first time about a month ago and she loved that as well. What parts were really slow for you? Maybe it helped that we watched half the movie one night and the other half the next (getting older and having a toddler sure makes late nights pretty lame for us).
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:25 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:05 am
Interesting. We were glued to the movie the entire time. But we're both big in cinematography and Denis Villeneuve is known for exactly that. I'd seen Sicario before and had my wife watch that with me for her first time about a month ago and she loved that as well. What parts were really slow for you? Maybe it helped that we watched half the movie one night and the other half the next (getting older and having a toddler sure makes late nights pretty lame for us).
I wasn't watching the clock because we were in a theatre, but after the opening scenes, the next third or so of the movie seemed really slow. And I don't mind slow pacing in movies, at all. It just seemed like they were actively trying not to rush into covering everything about the Dune universe and make it seem natural, but it just didn't for me. Then the last act seemed to be a rush to get to that line about his just being a prequel to the real movie, in part 2. You can tell they are trying to set up a cinematic universe, even down to the casting. Which isn't bad, it just seemed a bit heavy handed.

Like I said, I enjoyed the movie over all. I would say a 6.5/10 (meaning better than the average movie--for comparison, you mentioned Sicario, and I would give that an 8). I will likely see part 2 (and 3) when they come out, but wouldn't watch them at home.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I've never seen Sicario. Added to my list. Speaking of which, I just watched Donnie Darko for the first time. Very interesting movie.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
The new Dune is amazing. My wife and I were floored watching it. It's on HBO Now / HBO Go. Sci-fi is probably our favorite genre. The Expanse is probably our favorite series over the past 5 years. Arrival and the latest Bladerunner we're amazing as well (same filmmaker as Dune).

Anyone else watch the new Dune yet? I've never read the books or watched the old Dune movie.
I saw it with my sons and we all loved it. I remember watching the previous Dune movie when I was young and being bored by it, even after my dad told me the books were so good. I went back to watch the previous one, but couldn't make it through it. It was so badly done, imo. Of course, there are a surprisingly large number of critics that loved the 1984 Dune and not the newest one.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:52 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:

I saw it with my sons and we all loved it. I remember watching the previous Dune movie when I was young and being bored by it, even after my dad told me the books were so good. I went back to watch the previous one, but couldn't make it through it. It was so badly done, imo. Of course, there are a surprisingly large number of critics that loved the 1984 Dune and not the newest one.
Damn nostalgists!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I haven't laughed that hard since the last time I saw Westbrook brick a wide open 18-footer, so I guess it hasn't been that long.

Anyway, episode 8 was amazing television.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I guess I’m going to have to start watching this show. I’ve heard a lot of good things.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:12 pm

I haven't laughed that hard since the last time I saw Westbrook brick a wide open 18-footer, so I guess it hasn't been that long.

What show is this?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:25 pm
I guess I’m going to have to start watching this show. I’ve heard a lot of good things.
It's heavy in dialogue and inside jokes that make it difficult to multitask while watching. Also pretty much every main character is overly crude, so it's not everyone's cup of tea. I happen to have an affinity for smart asses and over-the-line jokes in a fictional setting, so the most redeeming part of the show for me is that I hate everyone. They're all terrible people.

The middle part of this current season (3) isn't particularly special. The beginning of it was great and now the ending looks to be just as good. I honestly can't recall the previous seasons well, but I remember feeling more entertained by them. I think they have a problem with the predictability of the characters now. A pattern has developed that is pretty easy to see coming without any clever foreshadowing. Season 4 was picked up, so they'll get a chance to shake it up, but I'm skeptical of it recapturing my initial enjoyment.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:19 pm
What show is this?
Succession.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:51 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:25 pm
It's heavy in dialogue and inside jokes that make it difficult to multitask while watching. Also pretty much every main character is overly crude, so it's not everyone's cup of tea. I happen to have an affinity for smart asses and over-the-line jokes in a fictional setting, so the most redeeming part of the show for me is that I hate everyone. They're all terrible people.

The middle part of this current season (3) isn't particularly special. The beginning of it was great and now the ending looks to be just as good. I honestly can't recall the previous seasons well, but I remember feeling more entertained by them. I think they have a problem with the predictability of the characters now. A pattern has developed that is pretty easy to see coming without any clever foreshadowing. Season 4 was picked up, so they'll get a chance to shake it up, but I'm skeptical of it recapturing my initial enjoyment.
Thanks. I'll have to check it out at some point. I'm just barely keeping up with what I do watch. When I watch a show, I really watch it. There is zero multitasking for me so that won't be a problem.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:12 pm

To me, this is the best show on TV bar-none. This scene in particular absolutely slayed me.

And how dare you say Cousin Greg isn’t likable!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:35 am
To me, this is the best show on TV bar-none. This scene in particular absolutely slayed me.

Greenpeace?

(I get it though. Amazing character.)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:12 am
Shabazz wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:35 am

Greenpeace?

(I get it though. Amazing character.)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Not a tv or movie but, I got a kick out of it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That’s good stuff, ‘Dack.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

So the new Matrix kinda sucked....