Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
AmareIsGod

Re: TV Shows / Movies

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 8:25 am
I finished Ozark last week.
Spoiler: show/hide

What a bargain!

https://www.balenciaga.com/en-us/limite ... D1010.html
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

So did none of you guys watch Season 4 of Stranger Things?

I'll admit I lost focus a few times. The episodes are a bit fat for my taste, but episode 4 was a banger and the last two were pretty good because they finally advanced the plot a little.

I really hope the Joyce/Hopper/Russia thing is creatively tied in somehow. Otherwise that'll be a huge scar on a pretty good season.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:08 am
So did none of you guys watch Season 4 of Stranger Things?

I'll admit I lost focus a few times. The episodes are a bit fat for my taste, but episode 4 was a banger and the last two were pretty good because they finally advanced the plot a little.

I really hope the Joyce/Hopper/Russia thing is creatively tied in somehow. Otherwise that'll be a huge scar on a pretty good season.
Says who?! :P I binged it the weekend it became available. Yeah, each show was like a mini movie. I think the last one clocked in at an hour and 40 minutes. It’s much more intense than the first seasons. I like some of the new characters introduced.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I hated Season 3 so much that I said I wasn't going to watch Season 4.

For me it went:
Season 1--Oh this is good and really cool.
Season 2--Been there, done that. Kinda meh.
Season 3--Well below average.

The trend scared me away from it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:02 am

For me it went:

Tough crowd.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:02 am

For me it went:

Absolutely agree. Winona Ryder is total cringe season 2. Hopper is a SHITTY dad and treats Eleven like a prisoner which is terrible. The show goes off the rails and is crap season 3. We stopped at the beginning of season 3 after already asking each other during season 2, "we must have terrible taste. This show sucks". Everyone we know is in love with Stranger Things. It's so mediocre to bad that I just don't get it.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

I loved season 1, thought season 2 was pretty meh. I liked season 3 more than 2, but it still wasn’t great. I’m only 3 episodes in, but season 4 is definitely much better than 2 and 3.

Season 1 - 8.7
Season 2 - 6.1
Season 3 - 6.4
Season 4 - Feels somewhere in the 8+ range again.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:19 pm
I loved season 1, thought season 2 was pretty meh. I liked season 3 more than 2, but it still wasn’t great. I’m only 3 episodes in, but season 4 is definitely much better than 2 and 3.

Season 1 - 8.7
Season 2 - 6.1
Season 3 - 6.4
Do you rate every season of a TV show this way (like actually write it down?) or did you just do this for these seasons for this discussion?

Also, can you give me what a 0.0 show is, and what a 10.0 show is? I am assuming your scale is 0-10.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:49 pm
Split T wrote:

Season 1 - 8.7
Season 2 - 6.1
Season 3 - 6.4
Do you rate every season of a TV show this way (like actually write it down?) or did you just do this for these seasons for this discussion?

Also, can you give me what a 0.0 show is, and what a 10.0 show is? I am assuming your scale is 0-10.
And how about a blood sample while you're at it, Split?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

lol. I am just curious because those are very specific numbers. That means you have a 100 point scale and use every number in it. I admire the dedication and thought that would have to go into that!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:49 pm
Split T wrote:

Season 1 - 8.7
Season 2 - 6.1
Season 3 - 6.4

Haha, no I just made those numbers up off the top of my head.

I’m not sure anything would make it to 10.0 or 0.0, but my closest:

Growing up my sisters would watch that Jon and Kate plus 8 show…I just had zero interest in that and it would be like a 1 or less. Also any of those housewives shows(my fiancé watches them) I don’t see the appeal at all.

As for 10.0…my favorite show is probably Community. Non comedy I’d probably say the closest to 10.0 for me is Breaking Bad or the 1st season of Prison Break…but I’m also currently drawing a blank, there’s probably some show I’m forgetting.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:03 pm
lol. I am just curious because those are very specific numbers. That means you have a 100 point scale and use every number in it. I admire the dedication and thought that would have to go into that!
That was just me being dumb…didn’t think season 1 was quite a 9…probably could have just said 8.5…then I felt I had to do it for the other seasons too

Indy

Post by Indy »

Damnit! :P I was really hoping you had this scoring system for every season of every show you watched.

For me, I think the best Season of TV is Season 3 of The Wire. It is hard for me to do that with some other shows, because the seasons all kind of blend in together. Like I can't tell you where season 4 of Breaking Bad ended and Season 5 began. The Wire had that nice focus of different aspects of life for each season.

It is hard for me to give anything below a 4 or so, because if a show is bad I don't bother to watch it (unless it is a family thing like Stranger Things was).

Split T

Post by Split T »

Somehow I haven’t managed to watch The Wire…I should fix that

Indy

Post by Indy »

It is 20 years old now, but man does it hold up.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:18 pm
It is 20 years old now, but man does it hold up.
I watched it for the first time about a year ago. I loved it. I don't think it's "the best show in the history of television" as some have called it, but it's really good and well done. One of the most underrated things about it is the banter (like between Jimmy and Bunk). It could be a legitimately funny show.

Breaking Bad season 4 is a 10.0 for me. That's the best season of a show I can remember. It's actually got a fairly tight ending (think "Face Off") because when it was made they didn't know if they were getting renewed for S5.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think "the best show" stuff was a legitimate claim at the time, but a lot of good TV has been produced since then. Like Indy said though, it still holds up.

I'm surprised no one has commented about We Own This City since it's essentially a spinoff of The Wire. I thought it was really good especially with how tightly they told the story.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:14 pm
I think "the best show" stuff was a legitimate claim at the time, but a lot of good TV has been produced since then. Like Indy said though, it still holds up.

I'm surprised no one has commented about We Own This City since it's essentially a spinoff of The Wire. I thought it was really good especially with how tightly they told the story.
I’ve heard good things about it. I might have to watch it.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Hustle is a great basketball film. I can't put it above classics like He Got Game, Above the Rim, and White Men Can't Jump, but it's in that neighborhood, IMO.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:32 am
Hustle is a great basketball film. I can't put it above classics like He Got Game, Above the Rim, and White Men Can't Jump, but it's in that neighborhood, IMO.
Which of your classics have aged best and worst in that list?