Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Nodack

Re: TV Shows / Movies

Post by Nodack »

Alec Baldwin was told prop gun was safe before fatal shooting: reports
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/i ... l-shooting
An affidavit released on Friday indicated that actor Alec Baldwin was told that a prop gun was safe before he fatally shot one person and wounded another, multiple news outlets reported.

The New York Times, which obtained an affidavit of the incident, reported that an assistant director had given Baldwin a prop gun, saying “Cold gun,” meaning that no ammunition was in the weapon.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:58 am
I knew it had to be a live round. Blanks don’t have a bullet and have only 25-50% of the gun powder of a live round. I couldn’t fathom how a shell with no bullet could spit out enough gun powder that could travel through the air, penetrate and go through a person and then hit the person behind them. Makes zero sense. What’s a live round doing on the set? They have weapons experts that handle and load the weapons, not the actors.
My uncle was shot with a .22 blank and it penetrated his abdomen and stayed lodged in there for 40 years before they took it out. The wadding isn't just paper, and the 'cap' that kept it all together is what traveled through the air and into him. I am assuming that on a western they use .44 mostly, and even with less of a load than a normal .44, that can certainly penetrate.

But the reports are seeming to say it was a live round. And that they were using non-union workers.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Why would they even have live rounds on a set?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:48 pm
Why would they even have live rounds on a set?
I think I read that some bozo was doing target practice with real bullets in one of the prop guns. Oops. :-(

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -film.html
The 24-year-old head armorer in charge of guns on the Alec Baldwin film where cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was tragically shot and killed on Thursday had admitted she wasn't sure she was ready for the job in an interview before filming started.

'I almost didn't take the job because I wasn't sure if I was ready, but doing it, it went really smoothly,' Hannah Gutierrez-Reed said in a podcast interview last month after leading the firearms department for The Old Way, starring Nicolas Cage - her first time as head armorer.

She also admitted in the podcast interview that she found loading blanks into a gun to be 'the scariest' thing because she did not know how to do it and had sought help from her father, legendary gunsmith Thell Reed, to get over the fear.

It comes as crew on the film revealed they walked off set hours before the fatal accident over safety fears after firearms were accidentally discharged three times - including once by Baldwin's stunt double who had been told the gun was not loaded, and twice in a closed cabin.

A search warrant released Friday said that Gutierrez-Reed laid out three prop guns on a cart outside the filming location, and first assistant director Dave Halls grabbed the gun from the cart and brought it inside to Baldwin, unaware that it was loaded with live rounds.

'Cold gun!' shouted Halls before handing the gun to Baldwin, using the phrase to signal to cast and crew that the gun was safe to fire for the scene, the warrant said.

Seconds later, filming a scene inside an Old West-style church, Baldwin apparently aimed towards the camera and pulled the trigger, accidentally killing Hutchins as she filmed him, and injuring director Joel Souza, who stood behind her.

Unionized workers had walked off the set hours before the fatal shooting, after they complained about long hours, shoddy conditions and another safety incident days earlier involving 'two misfires' of a prop weapon.

A yet-unnamed prop master who oversaw the gun used in the fatal shooting was a non-union worker who was 'just brought in' to replace the workers who left over safety concerns, a source involved in the movie told the New York Post.

Unionized employees had been complaining about the fact they had to stay overnight in Albuquerque - an hour's drive from the set - and not Sante Fe because production wouldn't pay for their hotels, according to sources cited by The Los Angeles Times and multiple social media posts by film and TV insiders.

When they turned up to set to clear their things on Thursday, they found they'd been replaced by locals.

It begs the question of who those local workers were, what their training was and to what extent did they check the weapon before it was handed to Baldwin.

Deadline also cites an unnamed source who said a gun had gone off 'in a cabin' while someone was holding it, days prior to the shooting that killed Hutchins.

'A gun had two misfires in a closed cabin. They just fired loud pops – a person was just holding it in their hands and it went off,' they said, apparently referring to unintentional discharges.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I pretty strongly dislike guns, so stories like this make me feel all kinds of frustrated. Guns aren't toys; they are deadly weapons. Even our Hollywood technology for faking guns is super risky and must be done with great care. Why do we routinely risk the lives of actors and crew on film sets just to simulate the firing of realistic-looking bullets from guns? Bleh.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:32 am
I pretty strongly dislike guns, so stories like this make me feel all kinds of frustrated. Guns aren't toys; they are deadly weapons. Even our Hollywood technology for faking guns is super risky and must be done with great care. Why do we routinely risk the lives of actors and crew on film sets just to simulate the firing of realistic-looking bullets from guns? Bleh.
The answer should be obvious. We don't routinely risk the lives of actors and crew on film sets. After Brandon Lee was killed on the set of The Crow in '94, I can't remember this happening again, but maybe you know of others. They have checks after checks on these, with more redundancy to make sure that this doesn't ever happen. They had a large safety issue happen earlier in the week with a gun discharging multiple times, which would have put even more of spotlight on this type of thing for even more safety checks to not happen. Numerous union members that were upset with the treatment and safety violations quit the day before and local people were hired to replace them. That seems like on the surface an unfortunate coincidence. But gross negligence is an understatement.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The person they hired was fired from the last job for a dangerous discharge of a weapon on set. I can’t think of one reason to ever have live rounds on a set of a movie. This incident just comes down to hiring competent people. The Union people walked off the set because of dangerous conditions. That should have been a red flag.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Turns out they were firing the gun for fun with real ammo before it was used on set. Somebody forgot to take out the live bullets.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:49 pm
Turns out they were firing the gun for fun with real ammo before it was used on set. Somebody forgot to take out the live bullets.
Who is “they”?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Supposedly the head armorer.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:36 am
Supposedly the head armorer.
Yeah, I don't know for sure but it was people on the set in their down time.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is what happens when you think a murder weapon is a toy. Which, sadly, millions of Americans do.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:39 pm
This is what happens when you think a murder weapon is a toy. Which, sadly, millions of Americans do.
Are you advocating for more safety education?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I would be advocating hiring professionals.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wasn't Baldwin a Producer of the movie and responsible for hiring them?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:28 pm
I read that the Q people are already starting a rumor that the AD who got shot was secretly investigating pedophile rings, which is why she had to be "taken out."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/halyn ... ile-rings/

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:32 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:28 pm
I read that the Q people are already starting a rumor that the AD who got shot was secretly investigating pedophile rings, which is why she had to be "taken out."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/halyn ... ile-rings/
I'm telling you, you need to create a thread for Conspiracy theories. It may be the most read and commented on thread here or in the politics folder. Who knows what else will be brought out and concocted? Heck, Jordan Schultz is secretly trying to undercut and get Sarver pushed out so that his father can buy controlling stake in the Suns to move and bring back the Sonics. That works too, right?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

The new Dune is amazing. My wife and I were floored watching it. It's on HBO Now / HBO Go. Sci-fi is probably our favorite genre. The Expanse is probably our favorite series over the past 5 years. Arrival and the latest Bladerunner we're amazing as well (same filmmaker as Dune).

Anyone else watch the new Dune yet? I've never read the books or watched the old Dune movie.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I saw Dune in the theater last weekend and liked it a lot. The source material is very deep and complex, but the film did a great job of hitting the key points that made it easy enough to follow.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.