Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: Movies / TV Shows

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:26 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:43 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:00 am
I’ve heard really good thing about “3 Body Problem” on Netflix from the Game of Thrones showrunners. Excited to dive into that one when I have time.
First 2 episodes tonight with my wife. We're hooked. Holy shit.
I also watched the first 2 episodes with my wife. It was extremely interesting and enjoyable to me, but my wife was uninterested and unimpressed.
Interesting.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:04 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:26 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:43 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:00 am
I’ve heard really good thing about “3 Body Problem” on Netflix from the Game of Thrones showrunners. Excited to dive into that one when I have time.
First 2 episodes tonight with my wife. We're hooked. Holy shit.
I also watched the first 2 episodes with my wife. It was extremely interesting and enjoyable to me, but my wife was uninterested and unimpressed.
Interesting.
Tbh, she likes science and science fiction, and is very smart in her own way, but I had to constantly explain the theories in the first 2 episodes.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I had a similar experience. She was pretty lost right from the jump because there's a lot of physics jargon. I explained a bit and then just settled on
Spoiler: show/hide

It didn't really set the hook.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The episode 6 of Shogun was again very good. I'm really enjoying this series quite a bit.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:30 pm
I had a similar experience. She was pretty lost right from the jump because there's a lot of physics jargon. I explained a bit and then just settled on

It didn't really set the hook.
I finished the show last night. It was enjoyable and entertaining.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nice thread about one of my favorite movies, No Country for Old Men:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That was interesting. Thanks. Two things stood out to me. First that Woody Harrelson's father is a contract killer! I then googled and found this blurb: "But they (his three sons including Woody) didn't necessarily believe he committed the crime for which he was ultimately given his life sentences." And secondly, I didn't realize the film had no soundtrack. And I've seen it twice.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I've probably watched No Country about 7-8 times. It's just such a well crafted movie; something about it really works for me. The dialogue and performances are really crisp, there are lots of nicely shot scenes, angles, images that stick with you. The villain is an absolute monster, one of the best bad guys in decades in any movie. And I love that it doesn't have a neat and tidy happy ending. Just a masterpiece. I'll even put up with Woody Harrelson, that's how much I like it.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've watched it at least half a dozen times in the past month since it's been streaming on PlutoTV recently. I didn't like it the first time I saw it, just didn't get it. But now it's a movie I'll stop and watch whenever it's on. Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones, and Bardem are phenomenal. Even Stephen Root's accountant is great in a small role and Kelly McDonald is always tops. Great cinematography, no fat in the plot and I usually pick up on something I didn't notice in previous viewings.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Wife and I felt like 3 Body Problem sort of fizzled the last 2 to 3 episodes.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

What is it like having a wife?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:55 am
Depends on the day. In some cases, depends on the hour. There are good and bad days, like living with siblings, parents or a roommate. Single me would throw in the towel too many times. Having a daughter and being married, it is a marathon, not a sprint, so we do our best to work through the bumps in the road.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:55 am
I'm pretty blessed to have an amazing wife (24 years this June). It's not without it's challenges for sure but as someone once told me... Relationships aren't 50/50, they're 100/100. My wife definitely picks up a lot of my slack since my spine issues started back in 2009 and let me tell you; it's been an adjustment and she puts up with a lot (mood swings, inability to help with chores/yardwork/house maintenance to name a couple) and she has a super demanding job running a high school, along with being a mom to 2 boys (3 if you include me lol). I just try to keep up with my sense of humor and good looks (not) to keep the fire burning :P Having someone who's willing to put in equal effort/love into a relationship and have similar spiritual beliefs helps.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It is very important to get the right person for you. Don't rush into marriage. I did and it bit me. My ex hid her alcoholism from me. I really didn't know until after we were married. And I had never dealt with alcoholism before so the whole marriage was a learning experience. She was pretty, sexy, and vivacious but the alcoholism made it untenable. Not all marriages are made to last and sometimes it is both for both parties to end it.

Having said that, I wouldn't go back and change it if I could as I ended up with two amazing sons. I am still friendly with my ex and we didn't let the divorce affect our relationships with our sons. I'm still friendly with her family as well. Her mom calls me every birthday. Anyway, I have no doubt that I will still find that right person to spend the rest of my life with in my current phase of life and now I can do it from a position of wisdom but I've enjoyed my singledom as well.

Moral of the story: Take your time! Don't rush the process. Just keep working on yourself until the right time comes.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I was 35 when I first got married. Couldn’t be happier that I waited for the right person. Just been married 2 years now but it’s been just great!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:49 am
I was 35 when I first got married. Couldn’t be happier that I waited for the right person. Just been married 2 years now but it’s been just great!
Congrats, man!
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
I was 35 as well. Coming up on 5 years on May 4th. Congrats Split!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:32 pm
Split T wrote:
I was 35 as well. Coming up on 5 years on May 4th. Congrats Split!
I thought I was on the later side at 30 but I think this is the trend which I think is a good one. (i.e. I'm glad I'm not a grandparent yet. Don't want my sons rushing it.) Mine lasted 14 years. Congrats to you both!

And may the 4th be with you, AIG! :D Just a coincidence or are you both Star Wars nerds? :lol:
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

30 sounds like a good age…it’s those early 20’s ones that worry me sometimes.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I was 38 before I finally said I do. Honestly don't think I was really ready til that day lol.
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Grant Nelson or Tyler Kolek.