Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Shabazz

Re: TV Shows / Movies

Post by Shabazz »

2 recommendations:

The new Suicide Squad is really solid. And funny. I thought the first one was terrible and this one completely redeemed the franchise. It’s probably my favorite DC movie, with Wonder Woman being the only other candidate. This one is like a gonzo-Guardians of the Galaxy.

Blood Red Sky on Netflix. Vampire on a hijacked plane. Won’t say more.
Last edited by Shabazz on Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:53 pm
2 recommendations:

The new Suicide Squad is really solid. And funny. I thought the first one was terrible and this one was completely redeemed the franchise. It’s probably my favorite DC movie, with Wonder Woman being the only other candidate. This one is like a gonzo-Guardians of the Galaxy.

What are your thoughts on Suicide Squad for kids? Well, a 12 year old, specifically? I was thinking of taking him to it, but wasn't sure.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:48 am
Shabazz wrote:
2 recommendations:

The new Suicide Squad is really solid. And funny. I thought the first one was terrible and this one was completely redeemed the franchise. It’s probably my favorite DC movie, with Wonder Woman being the only other candidate. This one is like a gonzo-Guardians of the Galaxy.

What are your thoughts on Suicide Squad for kids? Well, a 12 year old, specifically? I was thinking of taking him to it, but wasn't sure.
I guess it depends on how strict of a parent you are. I'm pretty conservative with what I let my 13 year old watch and wouldn't let her watch this. This movie is a pretty hard R: Graphic Violence, Nudity, Language. I would compare it to Deadpool in terms of adult content.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:31 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:48 am
Shabazz wrote:
2 recommendations:

I guess it depends on how strict of a parent you are. I'm pretty conservative with what I let my 13 year old watch and wouldn't let her watch this. This movie is a pretty hard R: Graphic Violence, Nudity, Language. I would compare it to Deadpool in terms of adult content.
thanks. yeah I am pretty strict too. I hadn't looked up the rating yet on Common Sense Media.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
2 recommendations:

Hmm. I had never even considered watching Suicide Squad but I may now. I’m not familiar with the comics but would you still recommend? I mean, I wasn’t familiar with Guardians of the Galaxy either and loved that so I guess there’s my answer.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:13 pm
Shabazz wrote:
2 recommendations:

Hmm. I had never even considered watching Suicide Squad but I may now. I’m not familiar with the comics but would you still recommend? I mean, I wasn’t familiar with Guardians of the Galaxy either and loved that so I guess there’s my answer.
For sure. I've never read the comics either.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I didn't even make it thru the new Suicide Squad- watched 20 minutes then decided to shave, watched another 30 minutes and then turned it off. The first one kinda sucked but still felt like a DC comic book movie with solid action and a little edge. This new one was just all over the place in terms of tone - tries to be funny, tries to be dramatic, tries to be weird, tries to be cartoony and felt a little like a knockoff Marvel movie. I thought Idris Elba was good, thought Cena had some funny moments, love Robbie as Harley. It just never held my interest. The Shark character felt like a mix of Drax and Groot, which isn't surprising since Gunn is directing. Gunn mentioned that he loved making this movie because he had more control and little interference from the studio, but that might not have been a good thing.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:26 am
I didn't even make it thru the new Suicide Squad- watched 20 minutes then decided to shave, watched another 30 minutes and then turned it off. The first one kinda sucked but still felt like a DC comic book movie with solid action and a little edge. This new one was just all over the place in terms of tone - tries to be funny, tries to be dramatic, tries to be weird, tries to be cartoony and felt a little like a knockoff Marvel movie. I thought Idris Elba was good, thought Cena had some funny moments, love Robbie as Harley. It just never held my interest. The Shark character felt like a mix of Drax and Groot, which isn't surprising since Gunn is directing. Gunn mentioned that he loved making this movie because he had more control and little interference from the studio, but that might not have been a good thing.
That's a shame. Was looking forward to watching it with my wife. Thanks for saving us time. It's hard to come by with the little one.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:08 pm
ShelC wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:26 am
That's a shame. Was looking forward to watching it with my wife. Thanks for saving us time. It's hard to come by with the little one.
Well, one really liked it and one really didn't. I may still check it out. I'll let you know my thoughts.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Metacritic only had 1 bad review out of 53, and only 7 were mixed. The other 45 were positive.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-suicide-squad

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

“Coda” on Apple TV+ is a really good movie to watch with teenage-ish kids, if anyone has them. Well done movie that does a nice job straddling the line between warm and sappy.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Went to see Shang-Chi tonight. I don't want to give anything away though.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:17 pm
How about if you liked it or not. Looks good to me for a character I’ve never heard of. Yea or nay?
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:31 pm
In2ition wrote:
How about if you liked it or not. Looks good to me for a character I’ve never heard of. Yea or nay?
I've never heard of the character either. The trailers weren't all that needle moving either, but I will say that they did a good job of not giving anything away, unlike previous Marvel movies. Go see it.

Oh, I will say, if you can, watch 'All Hail The King' prior, which is a small 13 minute vignette made after Ironman 3 in 2014 that you can find on Disney Plus. It won't matter if you don't though.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:09 pm
Metacritic only had 1 bad review out of 53, and only 7 were mixed. The other 45 were positive.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-suicide-squad
I watched it last night. My review is a little mixed as well. Crazy opening. It's hard for me to "walk out of" a movie but I almost did in the first half hour. Must have been similar to what Shel was thinking. But hung in there and got some enjoyment out of it. Crazy ending too. The kills are over the top so definitely not recommended for young eyes.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:15 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:31 pm
In2ition wrote:
I've never heard of the character either. The trailers weren't all that needle moving either, but I will say that they did a good job of not giving anything away, unlike previous Marvel movies. Go see it.

Oh, I will say, if you can, watch 'All Hail The King' prior, which is a small 13 minute vignette made after Ironman 3 in 2014 that you can find on Disney Plus. It won't matter if you don't though.
The trailers did make me interested. I'll have to see it. Don't have Disney+ right now though.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wife and I watched M. Night's "Old" the other night. It was okay. Kind of M. Night-y if you know what I mean. Somewhat predictable but still a decent watch. I would give it a B or B-. Worth seeing but probably not going to rewatch it ever again.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Been watching Lost with my wife. I've never seen it. A few episodes into season 4 now. Show is nuts. She's seen it before but doesn't mind watching it again with me.
► Show Spoiler
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't think the 'spoiler' tag is needed for a show that ended over 10 years ago, AIG. :lol:

LOST was great in parts and good overall, IMO. It could've been much better had it not been for ABC milking every cent out of it which led to some dumb plotlines.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The funny thing is I watched the whole series with my son maybe 5 or 6 years ago and none of that spoiler rings a bell. Names or situations. :D
"Be Legendary."