Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: TV Shows / Movies

Post by Superbone »

So, I finally finished the first episode and it got more interesting. However, it’s very frustrating to watch as I started late and had to get the first two episodes on demand which doesn’t allow me to fast forward through commercials. The same commercials come up each time with one of them repeating back to back. I just turn off the sound and do something else until the commercials pass. And said commercials get more frequent in the last half of the episode. One more to watch in this fashion and then I have the 3rd episode (and future episodes) recorded normally so I can skip commercials.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I finished the 2nd episode of Shogun. It’s getting good.
"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:33 am
I finished the 2nd episode of Shogun. It’s getting good.
Yea the second definitely got better… I still need to watch the third.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The 4th episode is also still pretty good, but slowed down a little. Not quite as good as the 3rd or 2nd, just more subtle, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:11 am
The 4th episode is also still pretty good, but slowed down a little. Not quite as good as the 3rd or 2nd, just more subtle, imo.
Right on… I don’t mind slower episodes as long as they’re driving the story well and have good character development.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Poor Things, now available on Hulu in which Emma Stone wins an award, is a fucking trip.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:28 am
Poor Things, now available on Hulu in which Emma Stone wins an award, is a fucking trip.
The trailers make it look very artsy and out there. Not normally my cup of tea. I may check it out though.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:50 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
The trailers make it look very artsy and out there. Not normally my cup of tea. I may check it out though.
I'll just say... be prepared. The trailers don't prepare you. The trailers are somewhat meaningless artsy Clockwork Orange or Royal Tennenbaum vibes
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:55 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:50 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
I'll just say... be prepared. The trailers don't prepare you. The trailers are somewhat meaningless artsy Clockwork Orange or Royal Tennenbaum vibes
I heard there's a lot of sex stuff. And it wasn't just Stone that won an award. The movie won the most Oscars of any film this year, I believe.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Emma Stone has been the role model I've been telling my daughter about. Local girl, Suns fan, went to the same Valley Youth Theater downtown as my 4-year-old. Watching that movie was crazy for me. When it first started, while beyond weird, my wife and I bought said "I bet Sophrina might like this weird Frankenstein kind of movie. She likes weird shows and movies". Until the movie went where it went.

The whole concept was discomforting but oddly entertaining throughout.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:55 pm
Emma Stone has been the role model I've been telling my daughter about. Local girl, Suns fan, went to the same Valley Youth Theater downtown as my 4-year-old. Watching that movie was crazy for me. When it first started, while beyond weird, my wife and I bought said "I bet Sophrina might like this weird Frankenstein kind of movie. She likes weird shows and movies". Until the movie went where it went.

I'll have to add it to my list which is currently topped by The Leftovers and American Fiction. Also plan to watch Napoleon on AppleTV.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

AmareIsGod wrote:

Haven't seen Poor Things yet but plan to. I just watched The Lobster and Killing of a Sacred Deer by the same director and liked them both. He kind of specializes in these weird, horrorish, tragicomedies that some people either really like or find awful and really hard to sit through. Feels like there's this new genre of films of prestige horror mixed with dark/black comedy. Saltburn was another one I just saw and liked. A24 is the go-to studio for these types of movies.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:46 am
AmareIsGod wrote:

Haven't seen Poor Things yet but plan to. I just watched The Lobster and Killing of a Sacred Deer by the same director and liked them both. He kind of specializes in these weird, horrorish, tragicomedies that some people either really like or find awful and really hard to sit through. Feels like there's this new genre of films of prestige horror mixed with dark/black comedy. Saltburn was another one I just saw and liked. A24 is the go-to studio for these types of movies.
Yep! The Witch (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4263482/) was a great (starring the actress from The Queen's Gambit and The Menu, another odd as hell but entertaining film) and then we found we were watching lots of movies that started out 'A24', so we knew we were in for an odd and uncomfortable path forward with what we were about to watch.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:23 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:11 am
Right on… I don’t mind slower episodes as long as they’re driving the story well and have good character development.
Yeah, I'm all caught up now. Interesting turn of events at the end of e4. Should be getting good.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Re: Movies / TV Shows

Post by In2ition »

Watched Ep. 5 of Shogun. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I’ve heard really good thing about “3 Body Problem” on Netflix from the Game of Thrones showrunners. Excited to dive into that one when I have time.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:00 am
I’ve heard really good thing about “3 Body Problem” on Netflix from the Game of Thrones showrunners. Excited to dive into that one when I have time.
First 2 episodes tonight with my wife. We're hooked. Holy shit.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:43 pm
Shabazz wrote:
OK, added to my list.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I ran through the whole season in the last 36 hours (shit weather this weekend). Seems like the source material is pretty good and a few familiar faces in the cast. Would recommend.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:43 pm
Shabazz wrote:
I also watched the first 2 episodes with my wife. It was extremely interesting and enjoyable to me, but my wife was uninterested and unimpressed.