Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Shabazz

Re: TV Shows / Movies

Post by Shabazz »

Barry is so good.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:27 pm
I haven't watched an episode of Picard S2 or Disco S4. I am half-way through the last season of Lower Decks. And I've only watched two episodes of SNW but I love it.
I personally really enjoyed Picard S2. Moreso than S1.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Season 1 sucked. The entire premise was stupid and based on "history" that never happened. And the writing was just bad, which doesn't make sense when you have such a good author at the core.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:03 pm
Barry is so good.
Enough already. I'll watch it!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:49 am
Season 1 sucked. The entire premise was stupid and based on "history" that never happened. And the writing was just bad, which doesn't make sense when you have such a good author at the core.
I'm more forgiving than you. I didn't hate it and I'm not personally worried about ST canon. But I did enjoy S2 significantly more. I'll be interested to hear what you think.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:53 pm
Indy wrote:
I'm more forgiving than you. I didn't hate it and I'm not personally worried about ST canon. But I did enjoy S2 significantly more. I'll be interested to hear what you think.
When I say 'history' I didn't mean 'canon.' I don't care if they change the ships or technology or whatever. And yeah the super secret Romulan spy stuff (ALL ROMULANS ARE SUPER SECRET SPIES) was annoying (and the brother/sister characters were way too over the top), but for the entire premise of the show built around this super close relationship between Picard and Data just wasn't there--ever. If you were going to lean on an old super close relationship between Picard and someone else, you are kind of screwed. I mean that was one of the key things about TNG is that Picard kept his distance as their leader. He was probably closest to Riker or Beverly. Data wouldn't have considered Picard his close friend either. It was just bad story telling.

I will get to Season 2 but it will probably be a while since I have Lower Decks and Disco 4 and SNW to watch first.

Oh, and this is coming from a guy that was super excited for Picard.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:26 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:53 pm
Indy wrote:
When I say 'history' I didn't mean 'canon.' I don't care if they change the ships or technology or whatever. And yeah the super secret Romulan spy stuff (ALL ROMULANS ARE SUPER SECRET SPIES) was annoying (and the brother/sister characters were way too over the top), but for the entire premise of the show built around this super close relationship between Picard and Data just wasn't there--ever. If you were going to lean on an old super close relationship between Picard and someone else, you are kind of screwed. I mean that was one of the key things about TNG is that Picard kept his distance as their leader. He was probably closest to Riker or Beverly. Data wouldn't have considered Picard his close friend either. It was just bad story telling.

I will get to Season 2 but it will probably be a while since I have Lower Decks and Disco 4 and SNW to watch first.

Oh, and this is coming from a guy that was super excited for Picard.
Sure, when you put it that way! :P I honestly had forgotten about most of that and really didn't remember many details. You're right, it sucked! :lol: I do remember it took me a couple false starts just to get past the first episode of S1. It didn't grab me at all. S2 I enjoyed from start to finish and I looked forward to each episode.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

LOL. I wasn't trying to convince you. TNG was one of my favorite shows growing up, and I rewatched the entire series a few years ago. So it was fresh in my mind.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

You guys watch "The Boys?" My favorite thing on TV right now. S1 wasn't great. The show needed to find it's footing. Since S2 it's just been amazing. It's so entertaining.

I'm not loving "Obi Wan." I find the little girl annoying and the action scenes are kind of lame. If it didn't have the Star Wars nostalgia built in, I think people would find it incredibly boring.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I haven't seen The Boys but I hear a lot of the talk about how Season 2 kicked off with a bang and is great.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:16 pm
You guys watch "The Boys?" My favorite thing on TV right now. S1 wasn't great. The show needed to find it's footing. Since S2 it's just been amazing. It's so entertaining.

I'm not loving "Obi Wan." I find the little girl annoying and the action scenes are kind of lame. If it didn't have the Star Wars nostalgia built in, I think people would find it incredibly boring.
My wife was tolerating The Boys, even though there are tons of exploding heads and really graphic scenes. The first episode of season 3, she had me turn it off around the midpoint after the... well, if you've seen it, probably one of the most uncomfortable and disturbing scenes I've seen in a show or movie. Which is saying a lot considering many of the twisted things I've seen (Human Centipede and the like). I'll probably watch it to finish season 3 on my own since it's really entertaining. Just wanted to warn folks of season 3, episode 1. Does it get more graphic or worse than that scene bazz? Maybe I can convince my wife to continue.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:17 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:16 pm

My wife was tolerating The Boys, even though there are tons of exploding heads and really graphic scenes. The first episode of season 3, she had me turn it off around the midpoint after the... well, if you've seen it, probably one of the most uncomfortable and disturbing scenes I've seen in a show or movie. Which is saying a lot considering many of the twisted things I've seen (Human Centipede and the like). I'll probably watch it to finish season 3 on my own since it's really entertaining. Just wanted to warn folks of season 3, episode 1. Does it get more graphic or worse than that scene bazz? Maybe I can convince my wife to continue.
Are you talking about the “Ant Man” scene? Because I agree. It was shocking, disgusting… and hilarious.

I’d say that’s about as gross as it’s gotten so far, but that’s a pretty high (low?) bar. Plenty of other cartoonishly graphic scenes, though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I watched the first two episodes of Barry tonight. Good stuff. That Chechen bald guy is hilarious.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:05 am
I watched the first two episodes of Barry tonight. Good stuff. That Chechen bald guy is hilarious.
NoHo Hank is one of my favorite characters in any show.

Split T

Post by Split T »

FWIW, I just finished part 1 of the 4th season of stranger things and I think it’s better than season 1. Maybe that’s recency bias or maybe it’s me being underwhelmed by Obi-Wan(Stranger Things has been way better imo) but I’m loving it so far.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:19 pm
FWIW, I just finished part 1 of the 4th season of stranger things and I think it’s better than season 1. Maybe that’s recency bias or maybe it’s me being underwhelmed by Obi-Wan(Stranger Things has been way better imo) but I’m loving it so far.
If season 4 is anything like Stranger Things, I'll pass.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:25 am
Split T wrote:
Fair enough, if you didn’t like season 1, I doubt you’ll like season 4

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:51 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Split T wrote:
I actually liked season 1. The problem with season 4 is it would require I watch season 2 again, which I didn't like, and 3 which I've heard is worse than 2.

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:42 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:51 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Split T wrote:
I actually liked season 1. The problem with season 4 is it would require I watch season 2 again, which I didn't like, and 3 which I've heard is worse than 2.
Hmm, I don’t think you’d have to. I didn’t rewatch any of the seasons and I’m following everything fine. There’s minor call backs to season 3, but you could probably read a Wikipedia summary of the season and be fine.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I have not read the last few pages of this thread, but I just wanted to drop in to mention what the wife and I are watching. We're currently in the middle of Stranger Things season 4. She likes it more than I do. I think this was a season-1 show, kind of like Westworld, where the show really never matches the excellence of its first awesome debut season. Season 4 isn't overtly bad but it feels mediocre and unnecessary to me.

We also recently watched a sci-fi show on HBO called Raised by Wolves. It was interesting but kind of bumpy in its storytelling. We got through Season 1, but we just learned that HBO has cancelled it and that Season 2 is the last one unless it gets picked up by another network. So we won't watch S2 unless the show gets picked up and has more of a future.

Before that we watched Severance (*** MASTERPIECE OMG WATCH IT NOW ***) and Ted Lasso (solid, cheerful show). We also watched Foundation, which I had a lot of gripes about since I love the Asimov books and the show mostly doesn't stay true to them.

We mostly haven't watched any movies lately. Finding 2 hours free with the kids is hard, plus most movies are gory so we can't have them on while the kids are around. I want to see The Batman and maybe Top Gun Maverick; wife wants to see Jurassic Park (bleh). In terms of TV I'd really like to watch Russian Doll season 2 (loved S1) and maybe The Boys (haven't seen any of it yet) or The Old Man.