Video Games

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: Video Games

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:15 am
If anyone local wants to buy a PS5 Digital console, let me know. I ended up getting one when Target dropped their consoles this morning. I am not looking to make money off of it. It was about $440 with tax.
That's a nice gesture. My son finally got one via PlayStation Direct.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

That is good to hear.

And I won't be as nice if nobody on here wants it. If I don't have any local folks (or non-local that want to pay for shipping) I will probably go the ebay route.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:47 am
That is good to hear.

And I won't be as nice if nobody on here wants it. If I don't have any local folks (or non-local that want to pay for shipping) I will probably go the ebay route.
It's really crazy that over a year after release, they are still hard to come by.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I got one for Christmas. Been playing Call of Duty and Fortnite with a couple of guys.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:46 pm
I got one for Christmas. Been playing Call of Duty and Fortnite with a couple of guys.
I have had mine for a couple months I guess, and I still haven't played a PS5 game. I am playing through Red Dead Redemption 2 and loving it. I have a hard time switching between games, but I should look you up on CoD. And maybe my son should look you up on Fortnite. ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:19 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:16 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:14 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:22 am
Fun fact: My favorite melee weapon to use in Cyberpunk 2077 is ...
I’m not playing that game until the PS5 version comes out and they clean up all the bugs. Could be years.
I'm playing on PC. It's a cool game, but yeah, the console bugs are ridiculous.

Such a shame to think about what it could've been if the developers were allowed to dictate the release date. Hopefully the DLC will be good.
Its history is pretty wild. I read a whole NY Times article about it today.
(Original post was from a Gameday thread :lol:)

Now might be a good time to check it out if you haven't yet. The most recent patch this week is getting a lot of great feedback.
https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/41435 ... of-changes

I abandoned the game about half the way through over a year ago. It was mostly my own fault as I tend to lose interest in sandbox games as the quests become more repetitive, but I also became less and less immersed in the world as I noticed the half finished aspects of the game. I just started a new save yesterday and I'm enjoying it again. It really is a well designed world. Hopefully I'll stick with it a bit longer this time.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:27 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:19 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:16 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:14 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:22 am
Fun fact: My favorite melee weapon to use in Cyberpunk 2077 is ...
I’m not playing that game until the PS5 version comes out and they clean up all the bugs. Could be years.
I'm playing on PC. It's a cool game, but yeah, the console bugs are ridiculous.

Such a shame to think about what it could've been if the developers were allowed to dictate the release date. Hopefully the DLC will be good.
Its history is pretty wild. I read a whole NY Times article about it today.
(Original post was from a Gameday thread :lol:)

Now might be a good time to check it out if you haven't yet. The most recent patch this week is getting a lot of great feedback.
https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/41435 ... of-changes

I abandoned the game about half the way through over a year ago. It was mostly my own fault as I tend to lose interest in sandbox games as the quests become more repetitive, but I also became less and less immersed in the world as I noticed the half finished aspects of the game. I just started a new save yesterday and I'm enjoying it again. It really is a well designed world. Hopefully I'll stick with it a bit longer this time.
Saw that patch. What a list of fixes! Apparently this does a ton for the AI and the believability of a lively city. I'll probably revisit this when I finish Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War on PC.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

No posts in this thread for a while; wanted to mention what I have been playing. I got really hooked on Hades and have almost 100%ed it. Really great game. I dislike Roguelikes usually but this game does it in a way that I can tolerate. Nice mix of skill-based action, storytelling, and RPG-like progression over time. Highly recommend.

We also bought Elden Ring, and I keep trying to like it. I want to like it. Everybody says it's so great, it's so engrossing, game of the year, open world, wow, what an epic experience it is. I just find it aimless and punishing. I explore around and I find some skeleton or knight and they kill me. "YOU DIED." Great. I never know where to go or what to do or why I should care. And the graphics, while beautiful, seem needlessly gray and brown and dreary. I don't find it fun to explore this world. I hope it'll get fun at some point.

I was thinking of checking out TMNT: Shredder's Revenge, which just came out. I love those classic Turtles beat-em-ups.

I also ordered this little gizmo called the Miyoo Mini, a tiny pocket handheld that can play emulated versions of classic consoles. It is great fun. I have been replaying some old JRPGs on it like Final Fantasy V, my personal fave in the series. Here's a video about it if you haven't heard of it. I got mine from a site called AliExpress; took about 3 weeks to ship from China.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cool. Might have to check out Hades. Just looked up the reviews and they are stellar. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm working through Uncharted 4 on PS5 at the moment. Beautiful game.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I started playing Hades on PS5 due to your recommendation, Marty, and seeing all the great reviews. It’s pretty cool.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Hades is great.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hades is a game that can really pull you in. You think you're almost done with it, and then you learn that there's still more to do. And the little characters and mini-stories are actually charming and engaging. I have gotten 100% of the Xbox achievements and have almost beaten the game in what I consider the "hardest" canonical way to beat it. But that last bit still eludes me. Really fun title, surprised the heck out of me. Didn't think I would like it since it is a randomized "roguelike", but it's done so skillfully that I can't help but love it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Another indie game I want to grab now that it's on Xbox Game Pass is TMNT: Shredder's Revenge. I loved the '90s TMNT beat-em-ups and I hear this one is a love letter to those games.

I don't remember if we've talked about Fall Guys on here, but FG is just going free-to-play this week. If you have never tried it, you may want to give it a go. Super zany 60-player battle royale platformer. Like playing Mario 64 with a big fat slow character against 59 other people, racing to the goal or fighting each other. Very silly and fun and addicting.

Indy

Post by Indy »

If anyone likes retro games, Shovel Knight is fantastic. Kind of a Super Mario Brothers meets Castlevania meets MegaMan. Despite it being seemingly simple, it is one of my favorite games of the last few years.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

You're in luck, there is a 21:9 mod for Hades now for anyone on PC with a 21:9 monitor! Let me know if you need any help.

https://github.com/nbusseneau/hephaistos

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:03 am
If anyone likes retro games, Shovel Knight is fantastic. Kind of a Super Mario Brothers meets Castlevania meets MegaMan. Despite it being seemingly simple, it is one of my favorite games of the last few years.
Shovel Knight is fantastic! If you're looking for another great platform that is more modern, the Ori games are fantastic and usually are on Xbox Gamepass. Ori and the Will of the Wisps is the latest. Hollow Knight is really good too.

Of course, my favorite game is Dead Cells. Once you get good at it, there's nothing like it. The game becomes an extension of your hands and reflexes when you are dealing methodic death to everything. Last I checked, I've logged about 800 hours into that game.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:11 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:03 am
Shovel Knight is fantastic! If you're looking for another great platform that is more modern, the Ori games are fantastic and usually are on Xbox Gamepass. Ori and the Will of the Wisps is the latest. Hollow Knight is really good too.

Of course, my favorite game is Dead Cells. Once you get good at it, there's nothing like it. The game becomes an extension of your hands and reflexes when you are dealing methodic death to everything. Last I checked, I've logged about 800 hours into that game.
Shovel Knight is great. Only downside is that it's a bit hard on first run-through as you need to learn all the bosses' patterns and so on. But it's fair and fun and you get the hang of it. I love Ori; great Metroidvania with beautiful scenery and graphics. I never did get into Hollow Knight; I don't like the dark unsaturated art style, and the way every character is drawn with basically the same "white head with black eyes" look. It's just too drab for me. Also something about how the game feels is just off to me where I didn't like the feel of playing it.

I haven't tried Dead Cells because it's roguelike and I tend to hate roguelikes. But everybody raves about it, so maybe it's time for me to get over myself and give it a whirl.

I just played TMNT: Shredder's Revenge last night with a friend online and it was good fun. Kind of a snacky game that I'll only play for a few sittings, but it was fun and nostalgic. Not worth paying big bucks for, but I got it free on Xbox Game Pass.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I thought the first run through was my favorite because it was all new. Then I tried to play it though again to get to 100% and wasn't as into it. But then they released the next chapter, and the next, playing as the other characters and that whole new mechanic for each one got me hooked again.

I hadn't heard the term rougelike before so I just read through it a bit. Wiki has a list of games that fall into that category--none of them sounded familiar except an old Intellivision game I have. But then I looked through the Hybrid Rougelike games (that is where Dead Cells is placed) and I found a game I LOVED on PS2--Dark Cloud. So maybe I should give them a try.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Don't be upset early on in Dead Cells if you die.. A lot. You are working towards unlocking some of the better weapons and powerups along the way which makes subsequent runs better and easier (a combination of you just getting better and having better tools at your disposal). It's a game where the controls become an extension of your hands. The mistakes you make are totally your own. When I finally decided to try using the shields and learned about parrying, which negates the attack you receive 100% and even deflects ranged attacks, it was an entirely new game for me trying combinations of shields and weapons. That was after about 200 hours of play avoiding shields.