Chick Corea Death February 9, 2021

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Nodack

Chick Corea Death February 9, 2021

Post by Nodack »

Chick Corea, Jazz Pianist Who Expanded the Possibilities of the Genre, Dead at 79
Keyboardist helped Miles Davis usher in the fusion revolution and founded his own game-changing groups, including Return to Forever

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... t-1127283/
“Chick Corea was the single greatest improvisational musician I have ever played with,” John Mayer, who had appeared with Corea onstage, wrote on Instagram. “Nobody was more open, more finely tuned to the moment, changing his approach with every new offering by the musicians around him. If you hit a wrong note, he’d immediately pick it up and play it as a motif so as to say ‘all of this has value, whether you see it or not.’ What an immeasurable loss in so many ways.”
In the early Sixties, Corea established himself as an A-list pianist, working with Stan Getz, Herbie Mann, and others. Later in the decade, he joined Miles Davis’ band and played a key role in helping the trumpeter make the transition to a more contemporary, plugged-in sound on albums like Bitches Brew. Following his work with Davis, he formed his own groundbreaking electric band, Return to Forever, which played some of the most vibrant and dynamic music of the fusion era. In the ensuing decades, Corea threw himself into countless projects, showing off his limitless range — from a refined duo with vibraphonist Gary Burton to his trendsetting Elektric Band. His most recent album, the 2020 live solo disc Plays, showed off his wildly diverse skill set and body of influences, touching on classical pieces, bebop, and more.

Chick Corea: Hear 12 Essential Performances

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/12/arts ... ylist.html

Superbone

Re: Chick Corea Death February 9, 2021

Post by Superbone »

Yep, I was very saddened by the news. Apparently, he died from a rare cancer. He was just an all-around great guy from everything I've read. I had been working on this tune on trombone. One of the all-time great tunes. I also love La Fiesta.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We played Chameleon in our HS Jazz band and of course back then all the Trumpet players worshiped Maynard.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Here's Bill Watrous (trombone), Hubert Laws (flute), George Benson (guitar), Stanley Clarke (bass), and Lenny White (drums) playing Spain with Chick:

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That Watrous guy sucks. Just kidding. They were/are all badasses. George Benson was my very first concert.

I flew to Grand Rapids a couple of years ago to meet a drummer friend of mine and then we drove across the state to Detroit to see the Chick Corea Electrik band and Bella Fleck and the Flecktones and yes it’s spelled electrik. What an awesome concert except for a couple technical difficulties. The guitarist was Frank Gambale who taught at GIT where I went to school. His wireless unit kept cutting in and out. Chic stayed at his keyboard set up for most of it and then put on his wireless mobile keyboard to walk around the stage and play. At one point he leaned over and his keyboard fell and hit the ground. That was the end of that keyboard and he had to go back to his stationary set up.

One of my earliest concerts was Return To Forever. Chick Corea, Lenny White, Al Dimeola, Stanley Clark. I can’t remember if there was a Sax player or not.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

There was a time when jazz fusion was driven fairly much by Weather Report and Chick Corea's Return to Forever, especially the lineup that included DiMeola.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I saw DiMeola play a solo acoustic gig at the Bonaventure Hotel outdoor park area in Los Angelas in the around 1990. It was quite a different side of him than RTF.