How many of you still play basketball?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: How man of you All still play basketball?

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:And I just got my new Goran jersey to rock when I destroy by buddies. Yeah bitches!!!
Yeah, that's sad. I hadn't bought a jersey since my Amare 32 jersey and I finally picked up a Dragic jersey late last year that I play in and of course he gets traded at the deadline! :x
I honestly don't understand the jersey mentality that much. For me, if I bought a Suns Dragic jersey and he got moved, more power to me, because it tells the world that I liked Suns era Goran and liked him before he went to Miami and was noticed by a bunch of bandwagon Heat fans. So that wouldn't bother me at all...
Well, I can't say it bothers me that much. I still wear it. In fact, it's my jersey for this week of basketball. My next jersey will be a Booker away jersey.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Re: How many of you still play basketball?

Post by pickle »

Gotcha. I guess that comment wasn't just for you specifically Bone. I've seen a lot of people say "blah blah blah I just got his jersey and then he got traded blah blah blah" and it's puzzled me always.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I agree with you that they are a record of the guy you liked when they played for your team. Dragic was my favorite player at the time. I'm honestly disappointed for the guy how much his game has fallen off since moving on. Basically he changed from a high usage guy that was a focal point of the offense to a second banana. He can't be too unhappy though at that salary and at least they're winning games.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

I have mixed feelings on Dragic, but seeing as how this was a discussion on whether and how we play bball, I won't sidetrack the discussion any more than I already have.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Get ahead. It's just talk. I liked Dragic. We spent a lot of time and energy trying to secure him and then just let him walk.

I haven't played a game of basketball in awhile outside of shooting hoops in the pool. Since the water is 50 degrees now that doesn't happen until May again. When it does I will be king of pool hoops again in my pool. Since I'm the only me shooting hoops in my pool that makes me king.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I will say that I am very happy we didn't give him the max... but instead we have two PGs for 140 million. Yay!

pickle

Post by pickle »

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this, but after I try to see both sides of the coin on these basketball-related controversies, I can't help but return to this one conclusion, that these are younger men in the prime of their lives being given millions of dollar and promised far more to play a game that they love. They are celebrated for having physical skills and not mental, and in particular not for having high EQ. So some of them end up making foolish decisions, thanks to a lifetime of not having to take responsibility for their actions, as well as having people with questionable motives trying to give them advice that don't necessarily benefit these athletes.

That is a very roundabout way of saying, I loved Dragic's play, he's fearless and leads by example, not a loud mouth whose bark was worse than his bite, and I respect that very much. However, if he was displeased with the on-court situation, given that this franchise believed in him, drafted him, and re-signed him for a reasonable contract when Houston wouldn't give him the same (I know that we traded him away, I'll never forgive that trade, but still, the point here is that we wanted him), he probably could have given the Suns some advanced notice that he wasn't happy. Either the team could work things out on the court to appease him, or they could help arrange a trade that was to both sides' liking.

In the end, what happened was quite unfortunate, how he broke the news to the media rather than the team, and the timing on top. I'm glad things worked out for him (in terms of contract) and I'm sure the additional money makes it easier to play second fiddle on offense, so more power to him. As far as the Suns goes, with the way he hamstrung us with 2 days before the deadline, I'd say we scored a total coup by getting two first rounders back.

Like Indy, I'm glad we aren't paying him the 85 mil. I get that if he were still lead guard here on the Suns, he'd probably be putting up much better stats. But he is 29, and this team certainly isn't gonna be competitive for at least 2 or 3 more years, so I'd rather be paying slightly less to significantly younger guards. As I mentioned in another post, if things don't work out, at least those two contracts are more tradable in the next two years.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:I will say that I am very happy we didn't give him the max... but instead we have two PGs for 140 million. Yay!
If I'm being honest, I'd rather we were paying Dragic 90 mil than Bledsoe and Knight 140 mil.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:I will say that I am very happy we didn't give him the max... but instead we have two PGs for 140 million. Yay!
If I'm being honest, I'd rather we were paying Dragic 90 mil than Bledsoe and Knight 140 mil.
I would argue that the other two have more value at their age and at their current contract than he does.

Indy

Post by Indy »

But I would rather watch dragic play here.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:But I would rather watch dragic play here.
Yep. It's not my money.
"Be Legendary."

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

well till the end of march before the new season starts. its essentially a young mans league with teams simply looking for one guy to score in the half court and the rest relying on fast breaks and cherry picking. I looked into a site called Gethandles.com
The main reason was that he offered drills in a kind of structured progression over 12 weeks which few others didn't building up to scoring moves. I haven't had a chance to apply it to anything game like yet since our social basketball doesn't start until Feb. It seems decent so far if anyone is interested or interested for their kids