How many of you still play basketball?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: How many of you still play basketball?

Post by Superbone »

Danimal wrote:Whats the best way to address pg's in pick up games who don't seem to pass other than not getting them the ball? Its becoming more of an issue where I play
That's a little tricky. There are certain guys I play with that are like that. Always looking for their own and playing with blinders on. I just try to be vocal when I'm wide open and sometimes show frustration to them when they won't give up the ball. Maybe it would be better to take them aside and say something. I don't know.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

"Dude, you ever heard of an assist?"

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Living in Asia, there are no shortage of guards. One is in his 40's and is an awesome passer. Get open and you will get the ball. Another is very good, supremely fit, but occasionally tries to take over. But at least when doing so he will drive to the basket and create something. The kind of guy you can tap on the shoulder and say ps I was open. Then at the bottom of the food chain there are a couple of guys that will dribble down and take a contested 3 or long 2 at the very beginning of the possession. As a bonus they have poor shooting form. Seeing that after I have to grabble with guys several inches taller, heavier and copping a few elbows on defence is not a welcome sight. Others have screamed various things at them due to this. Tried to lead by example by moving the ball around, but they clearly have no interest in this. I think my only hope is keep working on my skills so if I am on their team, we are not completely reliant on them for bringing the ball down. Few things are worse than playing with guards who cant shoot and cant/wont pass.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Any one got any tips for rebounding against much bigger and stronger guys?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Danimal wrote:Any one got any tips for rebounding against much bigger and stronger guys?
Box out!
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Danimal wrote:Any one got any tips for rebounding against much bigger and stronger guys?
Box out!
This. Well before the shot goes up.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm no pro, but if they are bigger than me I try to lower my center of mass and focus on my position rather than trying to jump my highest, because they will outreach me anyway. But if I'm in the right place and they are not, the rebound is still mine.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

[youtube][/youtube]

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That was pretty funny, WW. I've played with all of those guys and I've got a little mixture of some of them in myself. :D
"Be Legendary."

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

that banks shot game winner thing happened last week by someone who cant shoot and I immediately thought of that video

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Just thought I would share this since I think its neat.
A friend recently asked me to join this league. Its a semi-social league but a decent standard. The cool thing is they write up game recaps after, post video highlights and track stats. They even hold a free agent day so teams can pick out extra players to fill out their roster. Neat huh

http://statsportsleague.com

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Danimal wrote:Just thought I would share this since I think its neat.
A friend recently asked me to join this league. Its a semi-social league but a decent standard. The cool thing is they write up game recaps after, post video highlights and track stats. They even hold a free agent day so teams can pick out extra players to fill out their roster. Neat huh

http://statsportsleague.com
That's pretty cool. Where is that?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

In Malaysia buddy, feel free to drop by

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Danimal wrote:In Malaysia buddy, feel free to drop by
Lol, sure it's just around the corner. I do like it though, it seems like it might get the adults more engaged in their league.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

got a new season of that league I mentioned coming up at the end of January.
Given I was sick of pgs who didn't pass. I've always been a catch and shoot guy but our coach failed to run an offense that suited me. So I wanted to be able to create my own shot more. I actually invested a small amount of funds in some online drills in ball handling training. I know there is a lot of youtube stuff available but I thought this stuff was better and spending a little money actually made me motivated to do it. I'm 33 is that crazy?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Danimal wrote:got a new season of that league I mentioned coming up at the end of January.
Given I was sick of pgs who didn't pass. I've always been a catch and shoot guy but our coach failed to run an offense that suited me. So I wanted to be able to create my own shot more. I actually invested a small amount of funds in some online drills in ball handling training. I know there is a lot of youtube stuff available but I thought this stuff was better and spending a little money actually made me motivated to do it. I'm 33 is that crazy?
Not at all. Nothing wrong with improving your game at any age.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Exactly Bone! Just think if Bledsoe did those same drills!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:Exactly Bone! Just think if Bledsoe did those same drills!
;)
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Re: How man of you All still play basketball?

Post by pickle »

Superbone wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:And I just got my new Goran jersey to rock when I destroy by buddies. Yeah bitches!!!
Yeah, that's sad. I hadn't bought a jersey since my Amare 32 jersey and I finally picked up a Dragic jersey late last year that I play in and of course he gets traded at the deadline! :x
I honestly don't understand the jersey mentality that much. For me, if I bought a Suns Dragic jersey and he got moved, more power to me, because it tells the world that I liked Suns era Goran and liked him before he went to Miami and was noticed by a bunch of bandwagon Heat fans. So that wouldn't bother me at all...

pickle

Post by pickle »

I'm nearly 40, and honestly I don't think I really understood the true beauty of basketball until the last couple of years. Like I've mentioned in some of the game day threads, I'm quite slim and light in real life and am not good enough to join even semi-serious amateur leagues. When I do get on the court, I'd like to think that I'm a good teammate and am unselfish to a fault. Other than never shooting the ball, I'm basically your abject-poverty version of Brandon Knight, and in my comments on the players I've reflected on that physicality aspect of games a bit.

My focus has always been to learn to shoot, but since I only get a couple of games per week at a couple of hours each, without easy access to a gym, that hasn't been easy.

With the selfish teammate thing, I guess my approach would have been to scream at them and embarrass them. Some don't get embarrassed though so there's a limited number of options in that regard.

It's absolutely not crazy to try to improve your game at 33. I still try shooting and dribbling drills, though of course if I had started this at a younger age, it would've been more productive. But seeing as how I never relied on athleticism anyway, I guess it doesn't matter much.