Tesla

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 25433
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: San Diego, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Tesla

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:04 pm
$175,000? It better come with a Flux Capacitor for that kind of money.
Well, the base Tesla Roadster is $200,000. But it has a range of 600 miles and does 0-60 in 1.3 or some crazy stat.
"It should burn. It'll probably burn forever. But last season is done." - James Jones

"I want to be who I think I am." - Frank Kaminsky

"I don't think I've ever been that angry shooting a basketball." - Cam Johnson

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 18238
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Tesla

Post by Indy »


User avatar
Indy
Posts: 18238
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Tesla

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:18 pm
Pre-ordered the Rivian R1T yesterday. $1,000 deposit. 100% refundable. Expected delivery Q4 2023.
I should have asked this when you posted it, but what is the benefit of putting in an order now? Just to get in line for that 2024 delivery? I saw on their T&C that pricing is not locked in.

User avatar
AmareIsGod
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Re: Tesla

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:25 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:18 pm
Pre-ordered the Rivian R1T yesterday. $1,000 deposit. 100% refundable. Expected delivery Q4 2023.
I should have asked this when you posted it, but what is the benefit of putting in an order now? Just to get in line for that 2024 delivery? I saw on their T&C that pricing is not locked in.
That's really it. To have RSVP on the assembly line. Being 100% refundable, the harm is small, other than interest I could earn on that $1,000 elsewhere over a year. I turn 40 the end of next year so this was my "welcome to 40" gift to myself, assuming it even hits expected wait times and doesn't have delays. You don't even build and configure yours until you start to get closer. I'm a way out from that point.

Life is short. If it isn't hurting you financially, sometimes you have to splurge. Especially wanting to go on family adventures in a capable EV truck as our little one grows older. We've got solar which helps offset our charging costs (which will need to grow a few panels when the Rivian comes). Hopeful to have battery storage for the home when it becomes affordable in the future along with more efficient (looking at you solid state batteries).
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. You got dudes like Joel Embiid, Anthony Davis, all these 7-footers, doing everything. There's no stopping us. - Ayton

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 18238
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Tesla

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:23 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:25 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:18 pm
Pre-ordered the Rivian R1T yesterday. $1,000 deposit. 100% refundable. Expected delivery Q4 2023.
I should have asked this when you posted it, but what is the benefit of putting in an order now? Just to get in line for that 2024 delivery? I saw on their T&C that pricing is not locked in.
That's really it. To have RSVP on the assembly line. Being 100% refundable, the harm is small, other than interest I could earn on that $1,000 elsewhere over a year. I turn 40 the end of next year so this was my "welcome to 40" gift to myself, assuming it even hits expected wait times and doesn't have delays. You don't even build and configure yours until you start to get closer. I'm a way out from that point.

Life is short. If it isn't hurting you financially, sometimes you have to splurge. Especially wanting to go on family adventures in a capable EV truck as our little one grows older. We've got solar which helps offset our charging costs (which will need to grow a few panels when the Rivian comes). Hopeful to have battery storage for the home when it becomes affordable in the future along with more efficient (looking at you solid state batteries).
Of course! I was just checking to make sure I wasn't missing something. Right now I am planning on it being my next personal vehicle purchase, I am just hopefully another 5 years away and want to see how they do. It is hard to drop ~100k on a vehicle when they have no track record.

User avatar
AmareIsGod
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Re: Tesla

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:36 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:23 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:25 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:18 pm
Pre-ordered the Rivian R1T yesterday. $1,000 deposit. 100% refundable. Expected delivery Q4 2023.
I should have asked this when you posted it, but what is the benefit of putting in an order now? Just to get in line for that 2024 delivery? I saw on their T&C that pricing is not locked in.
That's really it. To have RSVP on the assembly line. Being 100% refundable, the harm is small, other than interest I could earn on that $1,000 elsewhere over a year. I turn 40 the end of next year so this was my "welcome to 40" gift to myself, assuming it even hits expected wait times and doesn't have delays. You don't even build and configure yours until you start to get closer. I'm a way out from that point.

Life is short. If it isn't hurting you financially, sometimes you have to splurge. Especially wanting to go on family adventures in a capable EV truck as our little one grows older. We've got solar which helps offset our charging costs (which will need to grow a few panels when the Rivian comes). Hopeful to have battery storage for the home when it becomes affordable in the future along with more efficient (looking at you solid state batteries).
Of course! I was just checking to make sure I wasn't missing something. Right now I am planning on it being my next personal vehicle purchase, I am just hopefully another 5 years away and want to see how they do. It is hard to drop ~100k on a vehicle when they have no track record.
Agreed. I'm keeping close tabs on the issues some of the early owners have noted. Primarily around the power tonneau cover. Terrible idea. Anyone that has owned or used a power tonneau cover knows how prone they are to having problems. Pulling the cover forward manually is never a sizeable amount of effort. You can't currently remove that option either. Hopefully that gets ironed out.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. You got dudes like Joel Embiid, Anthony Davis, all these 7-footers, doing everything. There's no stopping us. - Ayton

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 18238
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Tesla

Post by Indy »

Yeah I have an aluminum bed cover on my truck that folds up if you need to put something tall in the bed, and it takes about 10 minutes to remove it completely from the truck for when I would haul around our kayaks.

User avatar
AmareIsGod
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Re: Tesla

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:45 pm
Yeah I have an aluminum bed cover on my truck that folds up if you need to put something tall in the bed, and it takes about 10 minutes to remove it completely from the truck for when I would haul around our kayaks.
The wife and I want to get into kayaks after using them for the first time about 6 weeks ago on the Salt River really early one morning. We rented some hard shells for pretty cheap. They weren't the greatest and they were tandem but we had a blast. Been looking into some really high quality inflatables from SeaEagle (RazorLites (https://www.seaeagle.com/RazorLite/393rl) or 300x (https://www.seaeagle.com/ExplorerKayaks/300x) for a more hybrid kayak (still water or rapids)).

With the Tesla, we don't have the space for hard kayak, even if they are superior. That was another reason we were looking at EV trucks and the Rivian. Do you have experience or thoughts on the inflatables I'm thinking about?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. You got dudes like Joel Embiid, Anthony Davis, all these 7-footers, doing everything. There's no stopping us. - Ayton

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 18238
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Tesla

Post by Indy »

We had them when we lived in Michigan. We could drive <5 minutes and be at 3 different lakes--big enough where you could kayak for a couple hours and not get all the way around the edges. But we also had plenty of rivers around. I much prefer river kayaking (even if they aren't rapids, but just flowing).

Anyway, I have no idea on the inflatables. We only had the hard ones. But my neighbor had some inflatable stand-up paddle boards that seemed great. They are better for lakes/still water, but it isn't like you have any real rivers around here anyway. I think they are a lot cheaper than kayaks, too.

User avatar
AmareIsGod
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Re: Tesla

Post by AmareIsGod »

The inflatables are around $900 to $1,200 a piece I'm looking at. I may hold off on inflatables and go hard if the savings are quite a bit more. Can just wait until we have the truck to pull the trigger.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. You got dudes like Joel Embiid, Anthony Davis, all these 7-footers, doing everything. There's no stopping us. - Ayton

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 6377
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Tesla

Post by Nodack »

Biden administration announces national standards for electric vehicle charging networks
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... -networks/
The standards will be laid out formally in a proposed rule from the Federal Highway Administration, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg told reporters on a press call Wednesday. The rule will require EV charging stations every 50 miles and no more than a mile off the highway, emphasizing the interstate highway system and alternative fuel corridors, according to Buttigieg.
“The proposed rule requires at least four 150-kilowatt DC fast-charging ports per station so that the station can serve multiple customers, and it ensures safe installation and maintenance by qualified technicians, creating new jobs in this EV infrastructure sector,” Buttigieg said.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 18238
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Tesla

Post by Indy »

Now if only we can get Tesla to use the standard charging format that every other EV being made already follows. Can you imagine how shitty it would be if you had to go to a Ford gas station for Fords, and a Honda for Hondas, etc?

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 25433
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: San Diego, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Tesla

Post by Superbone »

We just need beta or VHS and it will be fine.
"It should burn. It'll probably burn forever. But last season is done." - James Jones

"I want to be who I think I am." - Frank Kaminsky

"I don't think I've ever been that angry shooting a basketball." - Cam Johnson

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 6377
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Tesla

Post by Nodack »

Just make them all the same standard charging port and let Tesla get on board or build their own charging network.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 18238
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Tesla

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:29 am
Just make them all the same standard charging port and let Tesla get on board or build their own charging network.
They already have, just not as expansive as needed.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 6377
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Tesla

Post by Nodack »

SpaceX Said to Fire Employees Involved in Letter Rebuking Elon Musk
https://dnyuz.com/2022/06/17/spacex-sai ... elon-musk/

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 6377
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Tesla

Post by Nodack »

How many electric cars are on the road in the United States?
Nearly 5.4 million hybrid electric vehicles and over 1.4 million plug-in electric vehicles have sold since they came on the market in 1999 and 2010, respectively.
https://usafacts.org/articles/how-many- ... mu3deyruge

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 18238
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Tesla

Post by Indy »

I wish it showed how many are actually still in use. There are ~280M active vehicle registrations in the US, and if only 1.4M all electric cars have been sold in the last 12 years, I have a hard time believing more than 75% are still on the road. That means they only make up 0.3% of all vehicles on the road.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 6377
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Tesla

Post by Nodack »

Whatever the number is it has been going up unless a certain party comes to power in the near future and decides electric cars are dumb and kill them off.

The article talked about the three different kinds of electric cars. The Hybrid, the plug in Hybrid and the all plug in electric cars. I think they are phasing out the plug in Hybrids already and will be phasing out the Hybrids eventually and going all electric in the next ten years. Hybrids get good gas mileage. They don’t run on a battery alone ever so they don’t have a big battery to store energy. Plug in Hybrids combine a Hybrid and an all electric vehicle into one vehicle and as well as it works makes it doubly expensive to make with an engine, electric motor and a big battery to store electricity. An all electric doesn’t have an engine that takes gas, oil, filters, maintenance. It’s a fancy golf cart.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 18238
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Tesla

Post by Indy »

Maybe I have never seen them, but I would love to have an EV that includes a generator that can charge the batteries off of gas/diesel if you needed it. Like if you had to go on a very long drive and couldn't realistically charge every 250 miles, you could run your generator for time while driving to keep the battery charging. It isn't ideal, but gets rid of the biggest fear in EV-curious buyers.

Post Reply