Tesla

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Nodack

Re: Tesla

Post by Nodack »

Ford just reported a $3.1 billion loss. Blame Rivian
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/27/business ... index.html
Ford invested $500 million in the startup company back in April 2019, when the two companies announced plans to develop electric trucks together. Those plans never came to fruition, but Ford kept its investment in place.

Amazon stock plunges as company reports nearly $4 billion loss
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/28/tech/ama ... index.html
The company attributed the loss largely to a $7.6 billion loss from its investment in electric automaker Rivian Automotive.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Saw my first Rivian on the road by my house this week.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I always wondered where these startup companies get their cash. I never would have figured Ford and Amazon.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:46 pm
I always wondered where these startup companies get their cash. I never would have figured Ford and Amazon.
From my M&A experience, big companies are bad an innovation. They are good at hoarding cash and then spending it on buying/investing in smaller innovative companies.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Have any of you heard anything about Tesla going to hydrogen cars in 2024?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

A few months ago Musk was saying how stupid it would be to build hydrogen-based cars. Now he is all for it. Probably because his battery plants are not great, and ridiculous fires from the lithium batteries keep happening.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I wonder if he said it was stupid so that he got a jump on the competition on top of knowing how expensive batteries are.
Musk had previously dubbed hydrogen fuel cells “fool cells” and called the technology “mind-bogglingly stupid”. The rapid about turn is thought to be due to terminal problems encountered in the mass production of the 4680 battery.
https://www.whichev.net/2022/04/01/elon ... n-in-2024/

Supposedly, as everyone and their mother are switching to batteries for electric and come out with their $55K and up electric cars, his will come in and cut them off at the knees with a price point that may be half of that, while also out preforming them in almost every way and without the need to ever replace a battery or battery degradation.

The base Model H, will be able to go from 0-60 in 1.2 seconds, have a range of 451 miles of frugal driving(without the rapid acceleration).
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:17 am
The base Model H, will be able to go from 0-60 in 1.2 seconds, have a range of 451 miles of frugal driving(without the rapid acceleration).
Forget that!
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 2:50 pm
In2ition wrote:
Forget that!
Well, you could wait for the performance Model O to come out. Musk says that will go 0-60 in 0.4 seconds. Although, you might need to take a pill before driving it, so that you don't get a brain aneurism from that acceleration.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 2:52 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Forget that!
Well, you could wait for the performance Model O to come out. Musk says that will go 0-60 in 0.4 seconds. Although, you might need to take a pill before driving it, so that you don't get a brain aneurism from that acceleration.
Seriously, I get almost sick being a passenger in a normal Model 3 when it accelerates from a slow speed. The torque is unnatural and quiet. The driver assures me I'd be fine if I was driving due to me being the one doing the accelerating. And this is coming from a 2018 V8 455hp Camaro driver.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:36 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 2:52 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Forget that!
Seriously, I get almost sick being a passenger in a normal Model 3 when it accelerates from a slow speed. The torque is unnatural and quiet. The driver assures me I'd be fine if I was driving due to me being the one doing the accelerating. And this is coming from a 2018 V8 455hp Camaro driver.
I literally couldn't imagine. I've never had anything that could go 0-60 in less than like 8 seconds, haha. It would probably scare the blank out of me.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

You get used to it. We have the performance model 3. I think when you're the driver, like Bone said, it's not bad at all. When you're the passenger, it's like being on the Superman at Six Flags but not knowing when you're going to launch. I don't have as good of a time as the passenger when my wife drives. She loves to gun it.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:52 pm
You get used to it. We have the performance model 3. I think when you're the driver, like Bone said, it's not bad at all. When you're the passenger, it's like being on the Superman at Six Flags but not knowing when you're going to launch. I don't have as good of a time as the passenger when my wife drives. She loves to gun it.
Ha ha. That’s a great description.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Pre-ordered the Rivian R1T yesterday. $1,000 deposit. 100% refundable. Expected delivery Q4 2023.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:18 pm
Pre-ordered the Rivian R1T yesterday. $1,000 deposit. 100% refundable. Expected delivery Q4 2023.
Cool!
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

DeLorean is back (to the future) with an electric car.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm sure it'll be affordable.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

To some…

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

The specifications for the base model include a range of more than 300 miles and a top speed of 155 miles per hour.

The company says the Alpha5 will be able to accelerate from zero to 60 in less than three seconds. And it can reach 88 miles per hour – the speed it needs to achieve in order to time travel, per movie lore – in 4.35 seconds.

Pricing is expected to be in the $175,000 range, the game and entertainment website IGN reports. It's a big leap forward from 1981, when MotorTrend says you could get an original DeLorean for about $25,000.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

$175,000? It better come with a Flux Capacitor for that kind of money.