Heart Health

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: Heart Health

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:11 pm
Probably too late for this now, but my one piece of advice is to make sure you have the best surgeon you can find. They are not close to being created equal, or even close. I mean, sure the guys in the NBA are the best 0.000005% of people in the world at basketball. But you can have Steph Curry running your team, or Elfrid Payton. Choose wisely. Ask a ton of questions about which devices they are using (who makes the implant, for example). Then call that company and ask about who they recommend in your area. If it is a lap chole it probably doesn't matter much, but for less common things it could make a huge difference in the rest of your life.
Thanks, Indy. Excellent advice but you're right. It's probably too late as he used this same cardiologist in the past and has a relationship with him. But, if he tells me he has to open him up again, I will relay that to him. He had a pretty horrible experience the first time with incredible pain. From what 'Dack told me, he had a much better experience.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:45 pm
That is a great place to go.

Did you ask how many of those 800 made it through the procedure. :P
I wasn't comfortable getting my lasik surgery done until I found a guy who had performed it 10s of thousands of time. Mostly successful. :D
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:21 pm
Indy wrote:

I wasn't comfortable getting my lasik surgery done until I found a guy who had performed it 10s of thousands of time. Mostly successful. :D
I had it about 12 years ago, and just this year needed to add some glasses for reading my computer screen all day. I can read fine, but ~8 hours per day staring at a screen was giving me headaches. Still glad I did the lasik.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:39 pm
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

I had it about 12 years ago, and just this year needed to add some glasses for reading my computer screen all day. I can read fine, but ~8 hours per day staring at a screen was giving me headaches. Still glad I did the lasik.
I always tell people it was the best money I ever spent! I wore heavy glasses and then contacts for years. Lasik was a miracle! Mine's going on 15 years and I still have perfect vision.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:57 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

I always tell people it was the best money I ever spent! I wore heavy glasses and then contacts for years. Lasik was a miracle! Mine's going on 15 years and I still have perfect vision.
SAME! My wife and I got it covered by our insurance at the time. We had to pay out of pocket, but it was fully reimbursed.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have never even been to an eye doctor. I always had 20/15 vision until I hit 40. Then I started wearing readers for up close to see good. Every year they get just a little worse. Tough to read anything close without glasses now. I still see good at long distances.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:03 am
I have never even been to an eye doctor. I always had 20/15 vision until I hit 40. Then I started wearing readers for up close to see good. Every year they get just a little worse. Tough to read anything close without glasses now. I still see good at long distances.
You’re probably still 20/15. That’s just your near vision you’re talking about. That comes with age.
"Be Legendary."

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Indy wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:46 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:57 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

SAME! My wife and I got it covered by our insurance at the time. We had to pay out of pocket, but it was fully reimbursed.
I'll echo this sentiment-best investment ever. Wife and I got lasik 5 years ago and still have 20/20 vision. My eyes were so bad that I couldn't read the large E on the eye chart and I was wearing glasses starting around age 8. I was a little hesitant to get it done, but then had a bad eye infection and blood vessels ended up being distorted because of contact lens use, so that sealed it for me. It was so weird to wake up the next morning and see everything crystal clear. I do get a few halos from headlights when driving at night, but nothing that really impacts me.