Star Trek Continues: Series Finale Released!

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Phoenix219

Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 6 online.

Post by Phoenix219 »

I think there was a throwaway line about it being sporadic or something. There was something telepathic in nature with the creatures, I assume, so I would guess it allowed itself to be beamed, perhaps? The script could have been tightened up a little bit.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I had never even heard of Star Trek Continues until I saw this thread. You are a bunch of glorious nerds.

Of course, the wife and I sat down to watch the first episode the other night. No googling beforehand or anything, so we didn't know what to expect. Spent the first 15 minutes trying to decide if it was a very high budget fanflic or a very low budget studio job. Spent the rest of the show going, "tbh, this is just very star-treky." Really enjoyed how they bridge the gap between the original and Next Generation with the holochamber and the new ship's counselor. Enjoyed the show all around. I might even watch more episodes, and I'm not much of a TV guy.

Thanks for the recommendation, .net.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

You can thank, P219. He has championed this. I still need to make time some day to watch these!
"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

[youtube][/youtube]

Episode 7 on line. Change title accordingly.

Phoenix219

Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 7 online

Post by Phoenix219 »

[youtube][/youtube]

Episode 8 on line. Change title accordingly.

Best episode yet. Written by the cowriter of The Tholian Web.

Fantastic work.

Phoenix219

Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 8 online

Post by Phoenix219 »

Did anyone ever check these out? Bone? Indy?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I haven't watched any of them yet. I am watching one ST episode a week, all the way through. Right now I am in Season 6 of TNG. I have a couple years before I get back to watch these. Sorry!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I haven't watched any of the newest ones yet. I'm still four Suns games behind on the DVR. I haven't posted basketball stuff because I hate knowing the future since I'm still in the past.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

[youtube][/youtube]

Nodack

Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 9 online

Post by Nodack »

Awesome, thank you!

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

this is a mind-blower! i came to check on the Orville thread when i noticed this. i'd never heard of Continues or of any fan shows.

i consider TOS and The Twilight Zone to be the best TV shows ever
TOS was cheesy and corny and profound, often in the same episode
i hated every series that followed
the Khan movie was the only one i really liked
the first JJ movie captured the essence of the characters best, but after the 2nd JJ film i couldn't bare to watch another

the Orville is an improvement on any of the series after TOS but McF is too stiff to make it last

i watched the first Continues and it is amazing for several reasons
1. i can't believe how well they've reproduced the details. the set, music, effects, and most importantly, the female crew's go-go outfits!
2. the impressions are terrific and not too distracting. Kirk has got it down, except for his voice, as mentioned, not being strong enough.
3. it's freaky that they could accomplish so much as a non-profit whereas, imo, all the other bigger production shows failed miserably. perhaps, in part, because i believe some of the cheesiness of the original sets and effects added to the charm of the show. It also inspires me to see what people can do together for love instead of money. the idealism of it is something it's original creator would truly appreciate.
4. they've even reproduced the way the scenes segway to a commercial, without actually segwaying to a damn commercial!

the weakness (show 1):
1. the acting reminds me of watching a play. but instead of them projecting their voices, they sound oddly soft spoken. Perhaps they're not using enough audio compression.
2. the Spock actor has got down the lack of emotion, but none of the subtle charisma of Nemoy, and that hurts given how vital his character is

i should be able to catch up with the rest of the episodes within 2 weeks
Last edited by 1tinsoldier on Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

in total contrast, and a step in the wrong direction:
what's up with Star Trek Discovery being pay only? i don't mind them making money. but not offering a free viewing online of the FIRST episode to draw you in???

Indy

Post by Indy »

1tinsoldier wrote:in total contrast, and a step in the wrong direction:
what's up with Star Trek Discovery being pay only? i don't mind them making money. but not offering a free viewing online of the FIRST episode to draw you in???
The first one aired on CBS free.

Indy

Post by Indy »

1tinsoldier wrote: the first JJ movie captured the essence of the characters best, but after the 2nd JJ film i couldn't bare to watch another
I was not a fan of 2009 or Into Darkness, but I would say the last film did the best job of capturing what old TOS was like. Of course, we look at TOS through rose colored glasses, because of their 79 or so episodes, only about 20 were good (with a dozen or so great ones).

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

As far as TOS goes, I'd say there are more good then bad, with 20 truly terrible ones, 40 good ones, and 15-20 great ones. I don't mind movies 4-6, and have a soft spot for the 5th that most don't - its by *far* the most TOS style movie of the bunch, though! 1 and 3 are my least watchables.

The acting improves as they go - Spock rather shines in the 3rd episode, and there are some clever guest stars along the way. The eighth episode has some pretty solid acting from the guy that plays Kirk and was written by the original writer of "The Tholian Web." There are some plot issues that could be improved on in a couple of places, but overall it is remarkably solid and on point.

There is a two part "series finale" coming that will set the stage for the original feature film.

Looking forward to reading your opinions and thoughts as you make your way through the series, tin!

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

we'll see if the actors grow on me. the originals made every episode enjoyable. all of my favorite tv shows had brilliant casting: Seinfeld, King Of Queens, Community, SNL -- launched so many successful careers. Except for Star Trek. Even Shatner only shined on board the Enterprise imo

the only TOS Trek i find unbearable features Frank Gorshin with a white face/black face paint job

btw, if anyone hasn't given Community a chance i can steer you to the right episodes
Last edited by 1tinsoldier on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

EO2 Lolani notes:
a flaw of TOS was the lack of a regular cast female co-star (Uhura was mostly background) which they made up for by consistently having a different female guest star (often as a love interest).

enter Dr. McKenna who remedies that and more. a couple of minutes in she starts stealing scenes with her legitimate acting ability and they nail the trek1 humour in her exchange with kirk. She benefits greatly from not having to impersonate anyone.

Apollo in #1 and the green dancing girl in #2 capitalizes on trek favorites

the plot: trek1 dealt with slave situations often but never addressed the "prime directive" conflict with the issue. So this scenario was something new for the series, but the 5 year mission was indeed to go where no man has gone before, so i commend them

the end was as heavy as any in the original series

2 thumbs up for #2. better than 1

anyone know which TOS episode Dr. McKenna is from?
Last edited by 1tinsoldier on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

E3 Fairest is a definite step up in professionalism and tos realism. The audio and acting is improved and Spock establishes himself.
They took a risk giving us bad kirk while we're still getting used to the new actor, but it payed off.
the stronger sides of kirk and spock is actually what i needed to see from the actors and, hopefully, it will carry into their future performances.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I love the injoke in episode 2.... that they got their special guest star to paint up GREEN again. It was great seeing him chew some scenery for a bit. You realized that they got the original actor for Apollo as well, right? They usually try to hide i "big name" sci fi guest star somewhere in their productions.

The main cast definitely gets a bit more comfortable in their roles as they go along. The show also starts developing a couple new characters of their own after awhile (a security chief and 2 other female crewmembers) along with Dr McKenna, who is an original character created for the show. Its the role Dr. Helen Noel could have had in the original series (Dagger of the Mind.) Ironically, as life imitates... life, the actress is the wife of the show's creator (shades of Majel Barrett and Gene R. there).

The third episode is definitely one of my favorites. It has a lot of energy and action and is a worthy sequel to the original. I can watch the two back to back without missing a beat. You're right in that it may have been a risky move, but one that also paid off in TOS as well, with the darker Kirk from Enemy Within. If it had actually been made 50 years ago, the way Spock gets the upper hand would have seemed a lot more original, as well.

Part I of their two part "series finale" comes out Wednesday, I believe.