Star Trek Continues: Series Finale Released!

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Phoenix219

Star Trek Continues: Series Finale Released!

Post by Phoenix219 »

[youtube][/youtube]

This one is a sequel to the classic episode "Mirror, Mirror" and picks up immediately where that episode ends, taking place entirely in the alternate universe. Its the third high quality, full length production by the "Star Trek Continues" team in about a year. Any TOS Trek fans out there should appreciate this. Extremely good production values for a web recreation. I'll admit its a big of a guilty pleasure of mine. I grew up with the original in the 80s.

[youtube]dJf2ovQtI6w[/youtube]
Last edited by Phoenix219 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Phoenix219

Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 3 on line.

Post by Phoenix219 »

Any fans of the original Star Trek anywhere? I figured I'd get *some* response. lol.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Phoenix219 wrote:Any fans of the original Star Trek anywhere? I figured I'd get *some* response. lol.
I am. Whenever I get some time I'll check them out. Do you have a link to the first one?
"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

All 3 are on youtube.

I have seen a lot of fan productions out there over the years; STC isn't the first group to attempt this type of show, but by far the classiest, most professional attempt i've ever seen. They've put out 3 episodes in the span of about a year, while others take years to put out one or two full lengths. They have rebuilt the entire soundstage based on original design specs, and attempt to use the same angles and lighting. The showrunner is a professional voice actor (some anime stuff, i guess) and also plays Kirk. He gets the character completely, without resorting to "Shatnerisms" and parody. His voice could be a little deeper, though. The guy playing McCoy in the first 2 episodes is just a stand in. Grant Imahara from Mythbusters plays Sulu, and for the crowning achievement, they have Chris Doohan stepping into his father's shoes to play the iconic Scotty.

The first episode is called Pilgrims of Eternity, and features the return of Apollo, played by the original actor from the 60s!

[youtube][/youtube]

The second episode has a very surprising guest star as well (not Trek related), but its so great, I refuse to spoil it here. It has to do with the Orions and their slave culture. Its called Lolani.

[youtube][/youtube]

'bone, u can embed them if u want for me. i don't know how.

Each episode improves on the one before it, of course. I'd say the newest one is by far the best of the bunch, though. You can tell that they are all getting more comfortable with what they are doing and with the characters. Some rough edges at times, but overall, its mind boggling if your into TOS.
Last edited by Phoenix219 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

bumpin my own stuff here. lame, i know. :) i was trying to embed the video to play right in the thread, but i can't figure it out.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't think we can embed video. I tried my darnedest and it looks to be turned off. Maybe it's something Mori could look into.
"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Yeah, that was my conclusion as well; I messaged Mori on facebook earlier, we'll see what he can eventually come up with. Its not a priority, though. I think he needs to input some type of code into the script that runs the board or whatever.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Their first attempt is just a reshoot of the last few minutes of the actual show, starting at the end of the final episode, and giving a little epilogue on the bridge. Just a test of their sets and abilities. The trial run, so to speak.

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Phoenix219 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

second short, showing off their supporting cast. another trial run.

[youtube][/youtube]

third short, the final test run before the series "pilot", or if you ask them, the premiere of Season 4 ;)

very detailed props in this one, and a very nice spotlight for Chris Doohan, the real Scotty's son.

[youtube][/youtube]

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

The First Episode, Pilgrims of Eternity, featuring the return of an original series guest actor, and a follow up storyline:

[youtube][/youtube]

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Second episode, Lolani.

[youtube]4mOpmIFTxkE[/youtube]

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Repeating the third one here, for ease of scrolling through.

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Phoenix219 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Phoenix219 wrote:Their first attempt is just a reshoot of the last few minutes of the actual show, starting at the end of the final episode, and giving a little epilogue on the bridge. Just a test of their sets and abilities. The trial run, so to speak.
Interesting. We'll see if it grows on me. Kind of a slow start. It all just seems a little off. I don't know if I like this Kirk at all. The actress at the very beginning was terrible.
"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

The Kirk actor is the showrunner and he's a professional anime voice actor. His voice is a little too high pitched (almost reminds me of Scott Bakula) but he has the mannerisms, motions and inflection down pretty well, without sinking into Shatner parody. There are certain angles that its downright creepy how *proper* he actually looks. Each short (and episode) improves on the quality and the acting of the one before it. The newest one knocks it out of the park, IMO.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cool. I'll watch some more tomorrow. Thanks for posting.
"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

no problem. i'm curious to hear more of your thoughts. like i said, its a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, and the closest thing to "new" old school Trek i will ever get. I disliked the style of the new movies, so this is kind of a breath of fresh air to me, not to mention the amount of respect i have for the dedication and time and money a project like this must take. i probably let some little things slide as a result, but really, 3 full episodes in, i've totally bought them as their characters. interesting stuff, nonetheless.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

This is a really cool video I just found. The beginning of STC: Episode 3, like their first vignette, is a reproduction from the original series, before going into their sequel story.... this guy has taken the footage from both episodes and put them side by side for comparison. Check it out.

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Phoenix219 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Superbone wrote:Cool. I'll watch some more tomorrow. Thanks for posting.
ever get through any more of it?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Phoenix219 wrote:
Superbone wrote:Cool. I'll watch some more tomorrow. Thanks for posting.
ever get through any more of it?
I finished the other two shorts and started the first full length episode. The second short seemed out of character with the series with the crew messing around in the captain's chair.

Did the actress playing Uhura change for the full length episode? I don't like the change. Also don't like the new doctor so far. I'm digging the sets and the music though and the special effects aren't bad and are true to the show so far. The story has been very slow for me on the full length episode but I'll soldier through it later. I'd like to get to the next episode as I've always been fond of the Orion slave girl. :D
"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

During the filming of the first two episodes, the guy that plays the doctor wasn't available; the fill in, i guess, is pretty involved in Trek literature and background stuff, his name is larry nemecek, i guess he's pretty big in the fandom. As far as I know, the first guy is back now, and has a small role in the third episode.

I think the second short was more to showcase their version of the 3 characters and give them a few minutes in the spotlight. I'm sure they figured the junior crew, during the long quiet hours might have a moment if immaturity when "no ones watching" :D Its definitely the same actress in all the productions... i know they change the hairstyles up a bit. I think the first episode picks up a little bit if you push through it. Like I said, each one is better then the one before it.

A lot of the fan productions out there go for the showy battles and effects, where this show prides itself on going for the slower more character driven stories and morality tales. The third one is a good action episode :D

the attention to detail and production values are pretty amazing though. they make a point to not try to do effects that wouldn't have been possible back then, and no overt references to shows that hadn't been conceived yet, other then the "easter egg" they opened the first episode with (not just the holodeck prototype.. the whole scene was a reference to the westerns TOS was based on, that roddenberry wrote for, that deforest kelly worked on, with the visual inspiration of "Specter of the Gun", and the gunslinger himself is Doug Drexler, the guy that does their CGI and shipwork, who i believe worked on the show "Enterprise") Yeah, i'm full of useless information....