Star Trek Continues: Series Finale Released!

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Indy

Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 3 on line.

Post by Indy »

I will have to check these out in about a year. I decided to (re)watch TOS and listen to the weekly podcast Mission Log on the nerdist network. They are discussion every episode, of every series, in order. They got through TOS and the animated series, and are now just starting TNG. I need to watch those again sometime soon too.

Another awesome podcast in the same mold: The X-files Files hosted by Kumail Nanjiani. I forgot how much I loved that show, and it has been over 20 years since it started. It's a fun podcast.

As you can tell, I listen to a lot of podcasts--I spend a ton of time locked in planes and realized it was perfect for this.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I just never got into TOS. It was on in reruns when I was a kid, but I found the production values to be kind of cheap and cheesy, and they had too many goofy episodes like gunfighting in the old West that just made me roll my eyes. TNG was amazing and I loved it from start to end. I'm hoping to watch the HD rereleases of every season of TNG soon.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

The blu ray releases of tng are definitely worth it. The visual quality of the first season isn't *that* great, but in the later seasons the show darn well looks modern.

Charlie Smithy!

Mori Chu wrote:I just never got into TOS. It was on in reruns when I was a kid, but I found the production values to be kind of cheap and cheesy, and they had too many goofy episodes like gunfighting in the old West that just made me roll my eyes. TNG was amazing and I loved it from start to end. I'm hoping to watch the HD rereleases of every season of TNG soon.
Did you also like ds9? :D

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I loved DS9! That was actually my first exposure to Star Trek growing up and eventually I branched off into the awesomeness that was TOS and TNG. I could never get into Voyager or Enterprise that much though. I found Voyager boring and Enterprise was...just sort of shitty. Enterprise did get better in Season 4 though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:I loved DS9! That was actually my first exposure to Star Trek growing up and eventually I branched off into the awesomeness that was TOS and TNG. I could never get into Voyager or Enterprise that much though. I found Voyager boring and Enterprise was...just sort of shitty. Enterprise did get better in Season 4 though.
I started with TOS and then TNG. Never got into DS9 but I don't know if I ever watched many. Probably was on at the wrong time in my life. Might have to give it a shot some day. I did try with Voyager and Enterprise and I couldn't get into them. Love TOS and TNG though!
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

DS9 was okay but I kind of got out of it when everybody started coupling up (Worf and Dax? Really?) and when they just decided to focus on one huge plot involving the Dominion, the Gem Haddar, all that stuff.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:DS9 was okay but I kind of got out of it when everybody started coupling up (Worf and Dax? Really?) and when they just decided to focus on one huge plot involving the Dominion, the Gem Haddar, all that stuff.
Spoilers!
"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Mori Chu wrote:DS9 was okay but I kind of got out of it when everybody started coupling up (Worf and Dax? Really?) and when they just decided to focus on one huge plot involving the Dominion, the Gem Haddar, all that stuff.
Hmm... Would you say you prefer the episodic format of TNG over the more serialized nature of ds9?

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I liked the Jem'Hadar/Dominion storyline but that is just me but then again it has been years since I have re-visited those episodes. One my most favorite episodes of any Star Trek series came from DS9 which was the "Trials and Tribble-ations" episode. A must see for any trek fan.

Indy

Star Trek Continues: Episode 3 on line.

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:I just never got into TOS. It was on in reruns when I was a kid, but I found the production values to be kind of cheap and cheesy, and they had too many goofy episodes like gunfighting in the old West that just made me roll my eyes. TNG was amazing and I loved it from start to end. I'm hoping to watch the HD rereleases of every season of TNG soon.
I guess you never saw A Fist Full of Data.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

[youtube][/youtube]

Episode 4 is on line. It is deep, thoughtful, has tons of guest actors, and deals with Kirk and his emotional state in a way i've never seen attempted before. Not the most action packed show but damn if this isn't pure TOS.

Embedded videos don't work anymore?
Last edited by Phoenix219 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have probably seen every episode of the original series at least 20 times. Almost as many times as Gilligan's Island. The production quality was definitely sub par, but it was early sci fi and the budget was almost non existent. I read Shatner's book on it and it had all kinds of useless trivia in it. It was a ground breaking show though. The crew was a mixed group, Black, White, Asian, Russian, Scottish, even Vulcan. It depicted a future where hunger was a thing of the past. Money was no longer needed. There was a United Federation of Planets (UN on steroids).

Lt. Ohura was black and at one point wanted to quit the show. Some guy named Martin Luther King met with her and told her she can't quit because she was inspiring other blacks who normally aren't depicted in important roles like that at the time.

Low budget? Dr. McCoy's original tricorders for scanning patients was a pair of salt and pepper shakers.

The big wigs at the studio hated the idea of Spock and wanted him gone. Gene had to fight to keep him on the show.

Some other studios were interested in the idea of Star Trek and one met with him and picked Gene Roddenbarry's brain about doing the show, but then blew him off and started their own show called Lost In Space.

Some of the episodes were a little cheesy and some were really good. The only other Star Trek I was able to get into was Next Gen. I thought the first episodes were a little shaky, but they soon got it together and put out some grea stuff. Captain Picard was great. I loved the deeper more thoughtful episodes and despised the cheesy ones. Obviously a lot of different writers on the show.

The other Star Trek spin offs didn't do it for me. They kind of overdid a good thing and burned me out on it.

Majel Barrett, every trekker should know who she is. She was Gene Roddenberry's wife. She was Nurse Chaplain on the original Star Trek. She was the voice of the computer. She was Counselor Troys mother Lwaxana on Next Gen. She participated in every Star Trek series in some way.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Then you should definitely check out the episodes of "Continues" that are posted in this thread. It continues literally where the last episode left on (their first vignette) and then starts filming new full length episodes with replicas of the entire ship, wardrobe, sets and equipment. Its done by a pretty professional crew (the guy from myth busters plays sulu, scotty's real life son plays scotty, and the leads are anime voice actors.) It feels like lost episodes of the original series.

The no money thing didn't happen until TNG. The original show had quite a few times where they referenced money (Mudd's Women, among others) and a few references to "earning your paycheck."

Anyways, this isn't a general Star Trek thread; Its a thread about the web-show "Star Trek Continues."....

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

youtube link is down.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks for the link, P219. I'll check it out.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Is that the dude from MythBusters as Sulu? Lol

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I did check out Iris. Pretty bizarre seeing the show again with new actors simulating the original. They did a great job with the set, music and costumes. The writing was a little bit iffy for me at times, but overall I was impressed.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

the other 3 are here, too. they get a little better each time. 2nd one has a great guest star and is the most "brand new" of the episodes; the 1st one is a sequel to "Adonais" from the original show, while the 3rd one is set as a sequel to Mirror Mirror.

I get a kick out of it. The new actors have grown on me, and its the closest thing to new real Trek out there...