Action/Thriller protagonist Championship

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
SunsRIt

Action/Thriller protagonist Championship

Post by SunsRIt »

I’ve been wanting to have this conversation for quite awhile. I read a lot of action/thriller books and like the same type of movies(among others). My question is: Which of the protagonists is the biggest badass and who would win a battle royale or bracket-style championship? Here are of few that, to me, would have to be included:

- Robert McCall(The Equalizer) - former military special forces
- Frank Castle(The Punisher) - former Marine turned vigilante
- Jack Reacher(series by Lee Child)- former military police
- Dewey Andreas(series by Ben Coes) - former Delta Ranger
- Evan Smoak(Orphan X series by Gregg Hurwitz) - trained only to be an assassin/fighter from age 12
- Scot Harvath(series by Brad Thor) - former Navy seal
- James Reece(The Terminal List, series by Jack Carr) - current Navy Seal

I don’t think James Bond is this type of character, but maybe he is?

Who else should be included? What type of battle should it be? If it is bracket style, who is seeded first first, etc? And finally, who wins?

Dis • cuss

Indy

Re: Action/Thriller protagonist Championship

Post by Indy »

I agree Bond wouldn't be that type, at least based on the books. For the movies, I think plenty of the Brosnan ones were very super-ish hero.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

John Wick?
Remo Williams?
"Be Legendary."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

I forgot about John Wick, he’s definitely on the list. I’m not familiar with Remo Williams?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Bryan Mills. Duh.
Spoiler: show/hide
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Jason Bourne?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Jason Bourne has the best legit hand to hand combat skill, driving skills and gun skills. He's near the top. I think John Wick is his near equal. Wick is a little leaner and quicker than Bourne. Wick also racks up kills quicker and in larger volumes. Cassian gave him some problems though.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsRIt wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:17 am
I forgot about John Wick, he’s definitely on the list. I’m not familiar with Remo Williams?
Remo Williams is from a movie I liked a lot as a kid:
Sam Makin is a tough Brooklyn, New York City street cop and Vietnam-era Marine Corps veteran. He is unwillingly recruited as an assassin for a secret United States organization, CURE. The recruitment is through a bizarre method: his death is faked and he is given a new face and a new name. Rechristened "Remo Williams" (after the name and location of the manufacturer of the bedpan in Makin's hospital room), his face is surgically altered and he is trained to be a human killing machine by his aged, derisive and impassive Korean martial arts master Chiun.

Though Remo's training is extremely rushed by Chiun's standards, Remo learns seemingly impossible skills such as dodging bullets and running on water and wet cement. Chiun teaches Remo the Korean martial art named "Sinanju". Remo's instruction is interrupted when he is sent by CURE to investigate a corrupt weapons procurement program within the US Army.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:55 am
SunsRIt wrote:
Sam Makin is a tough Brooklyn, New York City street cop and Vietnam-era Marine Corps veteran. He is unwillingly recruited as an assassin for a secret United States organization, CURE. The recruitment is through a bizarre method: his death is faked and he is given a new face and a new name. Rechristened "Remo Williams" (after the name and location of the manufacturer of the bedpan in Makin's hospital room), his face is surgically altered and he is trained to be a human killing machine by his aged, derisive and impassive Korean martial arts master Chiun.

Though Remo's training is extremely rushed by Chiun's standards, Remo learns seemingly impossible skills such as dodging bullets and running on water and wet cement. Chiun teaches Remo the Korean martial art named "Sinanju". Remo's instruction is interrupted when he is sent by CURE to investigate a corrupt weapons procurement program within the US Army.
Remo was a bitch. He couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag! John Wick would smoke his ass.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:22 pm
Superbone wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

Remo was a bitch. He couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag! John Wick would smoke his ass.
Thems fighting words! Remo could take Wick out with his little finger. Literally.
"Be Legendary."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:27 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

Thems fighting words! Remo could take Wick out with his little finger. Literally.
Dewey Andreas might take them both.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Rama from the Raid movies?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

I shot John Wick several times in Fortnite today… and he didn’t die.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:30 am
Jason Bourne?
I guess we have to decide if we are talking about books or movies. Bourne in the books is much more like Bond in the books. The movies make him out to be more like a super hero.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Rey?