Game of Thrones

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Ghost

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Ghost »

I disagree that books 4 and 5 were that bad. They definitely aren't as good, but that's mostly because of his misguided decision to split them the way that he did. Also, introducing new characters and storylines that are of highly questionable value so late in the game...but at the same time, I can see why he did it. He's created an entire world and he wants to tell the entire story of that world...it's going to take up some time, and there will be parts that are out of place but still add to the overall narrative.

That said, the cuts they are making on the show seem like the smart thing to do.
It's also a product of the terrible choice GRRM made to leave out a bunch of characters so that when the 6th book is released we'll be reading stuff that happened simultaneously with the events of book 5.
My understanding is that books 4 and 5 occurred simultaneously in terms of chronology, with book 5 overtaking the events in book 4 (yeah, I admit the setup is weird and dumb). Book 6 will abandon that and just tell the story as it goes. It will not overlap the timeline of book 5.
We've already been forced into an entire season without Bran and Hodor and Arya's storyline is way, way ahead of where it should be. If they keep her in the House of B&W we'll see very little of the show's best character this year.
Spoiler: show/hide

carey

Post by carey »

Ah you're right, it's 4 & 5 together, not sure why I thought it was 5&6, been almost 5 years now so I'm a bit fuzzy on a few things. When I read ADwD when it was released I was really bad and skipped ahead and read all the Arya chapters first. There aren't many and not a whole lot happens. I suppose with all the other stuff you'd get a season out of it, but again my money is on them going passed that. If you've read the Arya preview chapter (which I won't spoil) you can get a good idea of where she's headed. I think they will go passed the House of B&W and on to what she's currently doing or will be doing in the next book. Alternatively they could just make up a whole bunch of stuff for her to do during training like you said instead of just having her,
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Oh one last thing re: Bran & Hodor

You don't want to see all the
stuff? That stuff is pretty rad. I"m dying to know who it is too.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

OK, good point.

carey

Post by carey »

Ghost wrote:OK, good point.
I don't think...
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Episode 3:

Now THAT was a very significant branch from the books.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Which part?

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:Which part?
Sansa.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:Which part?
Sansa.
Yep.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

carey

Post by carey »

OMG that last one. Haha.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I am liking GoT a lot again this season, but I miss Ned Stark more with each passing year. And now we've lost Tywin, too. It feels like a lot of the plots are just spinning their wheels right now. I want to see more characters actually get together and interact.

dribblepebble

Post by dribblepebble »

They should let the viewers vote who's going to die in the next season. :lol:
Playing games like basketball on a rainy day can give make you tough? Its a myth.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:I am liking GoT a lot again this season, but I miss Ned Stark more with each passing year. And now we've lost Tywin, too. It feels like a lot of the plots are just spinning their wheels right now. I want to see more characters actually get together and interact.
Hasn't that already started this season? And at least how they have set it up, it will continue.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Yeah, I have to agree with Indy (sigh). We may not know where it's going, but that's a far cry from spinning its wheels.

carey

Post by carey »

Mori Chu wrote:I am liking GoT a lot again this season, but I miss Ned Stark more with each passing year. And now we've lost Tywin, too. It feels like a lot of the plots are just spinning their wheels right now. I want to see more characters actually get together and interact.
Woah. I mean it couldn't be further from the truth but my dad texted me the same thing. He needs blood apparently.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Already a couple of interesting turns,

carey

Post by carey »

Yes to your question, Dan.
Go Suns!